Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 09:16 AM   #16
Nash
NBA lottery pick
 
Nash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,454
Default Re: Would the Grinnell System work in the NBA?

Closest was Golden State with Don Nelson, and they sucked.
Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:02 AM   #17
ZenMaster
Whap'em
 
ZenMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,468
Default Re: Would the Grinnell System work in the NBA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoutPractice
5 seconds or less is overkill.

Full court press, though, is underused and underrated in the NBA. When it's been used, it's often been tremendously effective (for instance with the Bulls).

You can't do a good full court press in the NBA anymore, they'd commit too many fouls.
ZenMaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:15 AM   #18
BoutPractice
Both teams played hard
 
BoutPractice's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 2,013
Default Re: Would the Grinnell System work in the NBA?

It's true that there's a link between handchecking rules and its recent disappearance.
Still, I believe that at times a good press by a team like the Miami Heat can do a lot of damage, even against the best pros.
BoutPractice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:18 AM   #19
heyhey
stay mad golden state
 
heyhey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: North Carolina -Currently
Posts: 3,085
Default Re: Would the Grinnell System work in the NBA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoutPractice
It's true that there's a link between handchecking rules and its recent disappearance.
Still, I believe that at times a good press by a team like the Miami Heat can do a lot of damage, even against the best pros.

there are a few starting PGs in this league with suspect ball handling, Darius Morris and Jeremy Lin comes to mind. they both be susceptible to the full court press
heyhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:24 AM   #20
kNIOKAS
Medium Rare
 
kNIOKAS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 4,915
Default Re: Would the Grinnell System work in the NBA?

I think it cannot. Full court press isn't something that cannot be dealt with. The fouling can slow up the pace no problem.

Would it remind it of dream team game...something? Where the ball wouldn't get past the middle line and MJ just dunking everything alone on the offense? I remember a frame of this...
kNIOKAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:11 AM   #21
Nash
NBA lottery pick
 
Nash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 5,454
Default Re: Would the Grinnell System work in the NBA?

If Miami wanted to play that kinda game they should put Wade at PG and Allen in for shooting purposes.

Wade
Allen
Lebron
Lewis
Bosh

Let them 3's rain!
Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 11:19 AM   #22
Rake2204
5-time NBA All-Star
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,444
Default Re: Would the Grinnell System work in the NBA?

My theory is there's a skill level where the effects of the full court trap would no longer out-weigh the overall defensive sacrifice. I feel like NBA players and teams would be able to devise and, more importantly, execute a counter attack against such a defense. Then again, one thing that may help would be the NBA's 8 second rule (as opposed to the 10 seconds allotted to high school and college teams in the backcourt).

Another big thing that'd work against an NBA team pulling this off (even if it could theoretically be effective) is the availability of player personnel. I believe Grinnell has 22 players on their roster and a typical contest for them usually involves 14-16 players receiving significant playing time. Their substitutions are similar to hockey line changes. The non-stop pressure works because players are able to push to their maximum for a minute or two then catch a breather. There's no pacing involved. I think this would be a little tougher to pull off in an uptempo NBA game where a maximum of 13 players are available each night.

There's a lot of reasons I think it wouldn't work in the NBA. However, I really do think it could be effective on each amateur level, even at a lot of division one schools. And by that, I don't mean Grinnell talent could take down DI teams, I mean if a DI school implemented that strategy, I think there's a good chance they could find success.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:19 PM   #23
OhNoTimNoSho
Your King
 
OhNoTimNoSho's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 3,389
Default Re: Would the Grinnell System work in the NBA?

No. The only reason this system works is because the opposing teams aren't prepared against it and are not used to it. If a team expects it and devises a simple strategy, the fundamental aspects of the system would fall apart. To not be affected by a full court press, all you have to do is be prepared for it and execute your offense. They cant get quick shots up anymore against an unprepared defense. The end.
OhNoTimNoSho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:27 PM   #24
wang4three
NJ Net Fan For Life.
 
wang4three's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 12,427
Default Re: Would the Grinnell System work in the NBA?

No NBA coach would dare do this. If they did and they failed, that'd be the end of their NBA coaching career.
wang4three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:35 PM   #25
Rake2204
5-time NBA All-Star
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 11,444
Default Re: Would the Grinnell System work in the NBA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhNoTimNoSho
No. The only reason this system works is because the opposing teams aren't prepared against it and are not used to it. If a team expects it and devises a simple strategy, the fundamental aspects of the system would fall apart. To not be affected by a full court press, all you have to do is be prepared for it and execute your offense. They cant get quick shots up anymore against an unprepared defense. The end.
As I mentioned above, I do not think this system would work well in the NBA, but I disagree with the notion that it's all about preparation. It's still a lot about skill level. Grinnell's been running this offense for years and to assume every coach within their own league has not prepared for their games against this type of offense would be a little off base, in my opinion.

I agree opposing teams are not used to facing a Grinnell-style attack, but that's often the basis behind any unique offensive adjustment - to create discomfort in your opponents. Many of Grinnell's opponents can prepare all they want, but it's still a matter of execution (or the lack thereof). It just happens that often, Grinnell's overall skill combined with their system, outweighs that of their opponent.

As an example, my brother's high school played a team who ran the Grinnell offense a few years ago. My brother's team was a class A school and their Grinnell-imitating opponent was a class C or D (pretty small in comparison to an A). That school came in to the game against my brother's squad with a 3-0 record and would finish the season 14-7. They were beating up on teams on their own level and setting state scoring records along the way, even as their opponents prepared for their attack. They came into their game against my bro having scored at least 90 points in their previous three games.

Against my bro's school though, combining their preparation with a higher available level of skill (being a class A school), this is what happened:

Quote:
"The System" seemed broken as the Trojans were 7-of-69 (10.1 percent) from the field and made just 3 of their 44 3-point attempts. Conversely, the undefeated Dreadnaughts scored the majority of their points on uncontested layups and converted on 34 of their 54 field goal attempts (62.9 percent).
The final score was 76-25.

Last edited by Rake2204 : 11-21-2012 at 12:37 PM.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 12:53 PM   #26
NumberSix
Big Booty Hoes!!
 
NumberSix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Internets
Posts: 16,892
Default Re: Would the Grinnell System work in the NBA?

They all look like 10 year olds.
NumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 01:11 PM   #27
Whoah10115
Linja Status
 
Whoah10115's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 7,968
Default Re: Would the Grinnell System work in the NBA?

I think the Heat could run a full-court press and specifically because of Wade and Lebron. I actually think Wade's defense would improve, as he wouldn't get caught day-dreaming and not rotating back to his man.
Whoah10115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 04:53 PM   #28
ZenMaster
Whap'em
 
ZenMaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 5,468
Default Re: Would the Grinnell System work in the NBA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
My theory is there's a skill level where the effects of the full court trap would no longer out-weigh the overall defensive sacrifice. I feel like NBA players and teams would be able to devise and, more importantly, execute a counter attack against such a defense. Then again, one thing that may help would be the NBA's 8 second rule (as opposed to the 10 seconds allotted to high school and college teams in the backcourt).

Another big thing that'd work against an NBA team pulling this off (even if it could theoretically be effective) is the availability of player personnel. I believe Grinnell has 22 players on their roster and a typical contest for them usually involves 14-16 players receiving significant playing time. Their substitutions are similar to hockey line changes. The non-stop pressure works because players are able to push to their maximum for a minute or two then catch a breather. There's no pacing involved. I think this would be a little tougher to pull off in an uptempo NBA game where a maximum of 13 players are available each night.

There's a lot of reasons I think it wouldn't work in the NBA. However, I really do think it could be effective on each amateur level, even at a lot of division one schools. And by that, I don't mean Grinnell talent could take down DI teams, I mean if a DI school implemented that strategy, I think there's a good chance they could find success.

NBA player are overall too good to full court press without handchecking, they have too much power in their body and can throw longer passes more easily.

If it was possible for NBA teams to do effectively somebody, like for example Denver, would be doing it.
ZenMaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 06:24 PM   #29
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Da KO King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: twitter.com/RandomHoopsMike
Posts: 7,535
Default Re: Would the Grinnell System work in the NBA?

Any system could work in the NBA if there was a TOTAL commitment to it from the owner all the way down to the last man on the roster.
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:38 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy