Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Default Re: when it's all said and done Kawhi Leonard

Any GM would take Hakeem, Shaq, David Robinson, or Karl Malone over Kawhi in 1995.

And Alonzo's 22/11 with 3 blocks probably provides more offensive and defensive impact than Kawhi too... Ditto Ewing..

Oh, and I forgot about Jordan.

So Kawhi wouldn't be a top 5 player in the 90's like he is now.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

LMFAO...could spurs5rings be any more full of shit? We don't know who is the better passer/playmaker between Pippen and Kawhi because they have different roles...you are given a role by your skillset you imbecile...there's a reason why Leonard doesn't run an offense like Scottie did...he can't. Pip was a legit PG in that 6'7" body frame...which makes sense as he was only 6'1" when he started college and had been playing the pg role. Kawhi simply isn't even a good enough ball handler to be a great playmaker.

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball
    Any GM would take Hakeem, Shaq, David Robinson, or Karl Malone over Kawhi in 1995.

And Alonzo's 22/11 with 3 blocks probably provides more offensive and defensive impact than Kawhi too... Ditto Ewing..

Oh, and I forgot about Jordan.

So Kawhi wouldn't be a top 5 player in the 90's like he is now.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Spurs5Rings2014
    Stats don't paint the whole picture and Leonard hasn't been asked to be the main facilitator like Pippen was on those teams. I agree, if Leonard is ever the main play-maker, we can draw a valid conclusion here.

I actually agree with this .. I saw Leonard make a sick bounce pass to parker through traffic in the first quarter. Tony didnt go up with the shot, he pulled it out, but it showed Kawhi's vision and skill to be able to thread a pass like that.

I think Kawhi could morph himself into whatever he wants tbh. Heres a guy who shot 70% FTs who is now closer to 90% now and takes FTs for T's on the spurs .. one of the best shooting teams ever. If he can improve like that, he can improve anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    It's just not going to happen.

Parker, Ginobli, Diaw>>>Kawhi as playmakers on his own squad.

Old Man Duncan averaged more assists than the Claw for ****sake.
    it wouldnt make sense for pop to relieve those guys of their passing duties when its their greatest strengths. That would take away from the team tremendously. Even if, hypothetically, Kawhi had bron's ballhandling and passing / vision, and was tasked with extra handling and passing duties, that would be very bad for the spurs as a whole to let him operate that way. You never give one man all the control .. unless your a supporter of harden westbrick ball.

The problem is you 90s guys had to watch scottie and jordan do everything offensively.. because a lot of the players outside them were stiffs. One dimensional players, rebounders, defenders etc. The spurs have defense, rebounding, passing at every position so it doesnt make sense to run things through a few guys. Everybody contributes in their case, which is why they are on another tier as a team. Theyre like a reincarnation of the 86 Celtics that whooped MJ's ass.

As far as playmaking is concerned, why not? Duncan, Parker, Manu and Diaw aren't always going to be around. Keep improving the ball handling and passing - no sense in restricting him.

Danny Green should practice too - I cringe when he makes anything but the simplest of passes.