View Poll Results: Was the "LeChoke" the GOAT legacy ding of all time?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

24 77.42%
  • No

7 22.58%
  • No, but it's close

0 0%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Default Re: Was the 2011 "LeQuit" the single most unforgivable legacy ding of any all timer?

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents
    Not even CLOSE to being true The likes of LeBron & Kobe get crucified for their failures when other ATG's who did the same or similar don't even get theirs mentioned.

In the internet/social media age, the stars of today get picked apart significantly more, and with all the access to information today, their failures are much more well documented than the stars of the past. It's honestly not even disputable.
    ^^^ That's what I hate about all internet boards, not just this one - you didn't read the entire post, so no wonder you claim my points aren't valid - you don't read them all the way through!

My post stated:

"No one felt sorry for Magic or gave him a break - they called him Tragic for a couple butchered possessions that lost the game .. Otoh, only social media buries Lebron for his butchered possessions and 2nd rate production in 2011 - the mainstream media literally ignores 2011 and anything prior tbh.. they ignore 2010 too..

Then I pointed out an example where the mainstream media blatantly ignores 2011 when evaluating his career..

#internetboards

Default Re: Was the 2011 "LeQuit" the single most unforgivable legacy ding of any all timer?

No. It helped improved Lebron as a player .ie no more choking

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SouBeachTalents
    I know no one is immune to choking, but it's shocking to me after 2 championships, 2 FMVP's, literally one of the greatest performances ever his rookie year to win the championship, that Magic could fail so miserably multiple times in the clutch like that, after all the ridiculous success he had up to that point to start his career.

LeBron still hadn't won yet and clearly, the pressure of his first title and all the backlash from the decision got to him. But Magic's, much more arbitrary

because expectations were finally squarely on him... he was no longer the underdog.

Quote Originally Posted by DeRozan m8
    Honestly, where do you even start with this pvssy?

Quitting,
    colluding,
    Running away everytime things get too hard,
    always trying to get more help,
    being beaten by largest finals margins,
    not making playoffs in a real conference,
    3-9,
    Entitled and back stabbing passive aggressive team mate,
    PEDs,
    I could go on....

Still baffles me anyone stans this guy, let alone thinks he is even in the same hemisphere as Jordan on or off the court hahahh
    They stan him because they are insecure over this:

https://youtu.be/LAr6oAKieHk

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    because expectations were finally squarely on him... he was no longer the underdog.
    But he had already failed, spectacularly, as a huge favorite in his 2nd year; which btw is a perfect example of what I was talking about before with 3ball. The Lakers were the defending champs, playing a 40 win Rocket team in the first round, and in the decisive Game 3, Magic scored 10 points on 2/14 shooting to lose in a massive upset. So even by that point, he had lost AND played like shit as the big favorite

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855

Your stats? [COLOR="DarkRed"]I’ve been ignoring people’s statistical arguments here for 17 years[/COLOR]. I think the first argument I was in here that required a “**** your stats...” was Jason Kidd vs Duncan for MVP in 02. I don’t care which of them you think played worse. I wouldn’t ask you to begin with. If LeBron or any teammate of Michael Jordans is one option and anyone else is on the other side you are going to take the other side. Asking your opinion would be a waste of time.

I’m not worried about the comparison. It would just be hilarious to see magics 1984 finals played in the age of social media and sports news.
    So we're ignoring the stats on this one and only focusing on Magic's screwups in the clutch??

Okay no problem..

Because apparently you forget that Lebron's 2011 Finals was the worst clutch performance on record - he had exactly zero points in clutch time (within 5 points, last 5 min)

But the reality is that stats do matter if your best player goes from a 28/8/8 all-time great to an 18/6/6 player.. Magic didn't doom his team by turning into a 3rd rate player for the whole series - only Lebron did that, in addition to butchering late game possessions like Magic, i.e. turnovers and by being scared/passing to Wade in spots that he should be shooting

You're just ignoring reality and therefore exposing your allegiance to Lebron no matter what

And btw, if Magic's 84' Finals was played today with social media, it would be perceived like all of Lebron's losses where he still had great stats - everyone would point to his gaudy stats and ignore the critical plays that decided the game... i.e. Lebron's turnover in Game 1 of the 18' Finals and OT quit job.... his quit job in 2010.... his missed shot in 14' that needed Ray to save the series...

And many more - Lebron has as many late-game turnovers as anyone that's ever played, yet everyone points to his stats - it's extremely common to hear people say "well, you can't knock lebron for losing because the team wouldn't be in that position if it wasn't for lebron".. so ur a hypocrite on this

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball
    So we're ignoring the stats on this one and only focusing on Magic's screwups in the clutch??

Okay no problem..

Because apparently you forget that Lebron's 2011 Finals was the worst clutch performance on record - he had exactly zero points in clutch time (within 5 points, last 5 min)

But the reality is that stats do matter if your best player goes from a 28/8/8 all-time great to an 18/6/6 player.. Magic didn't doom his team by turning into a 3rd rate player for the whole series - only Lebron did that, in addition to butchering late game possessions like Magic, i.e. turnovers and by being scared/passing to Wade in spots that he should be shooting

You're just ignoring reality and therefore exposing your allegiance to Lebron no matter what

And btw, if Magic's 84' Finals was played today with social media, it would be perceived like all of Lebron's losses where he still had great stats - everyone would point to his gaudy stats and ignore the critical plays that decided the game... i.e. Lebron's turnover in Game 1 of the 18' Finals and OT quit job.... his quit job in 2010.... his missed shot in 14' that needed Ray to save the series...

And many more - Lebron has as many late-game turnovers as anyone that's ever played, yet everyone points to his stats - it's extremely common to hear people say "well, you can't knock lebron for losing because the team wouldn't be in that position if it wasn't for lebron".. so ur a hypocrite on this
    LIER

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

So you missed me telling you I don

Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Slayer
    LIER
    What part

Stats for last 5 minutes of 2011 Finals, within 5 points

https://stats.nba.com/players/clutch...offs&PORound=4

Last edited by 3ball; 09-22-2019 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball

Okay no problem..

Even if we omit 2011 and just focus on 2016 game 7, what exactly did Lebron do when it mattered most in the last 4 minutes of play? Sure he scored 10 points leading up to the final 4 minutes in the 4th but it was only because Kyrie lit a fire under his ass by finishing off the 3rd qtr with 10 straight points of his own before the final minute of the 3rd. So what does lebron provide in the last 4 minutes of the biggest game in Cleveland history with all eyes on him?

A shaky free throw and a block. Talk about mentally checking out under pressure.

We know how the story ends.

Kyrie hits the dagger and makes history. Doing what lebron knows he could never do, which is make a go ahead shot in the finals. He's something like 0-8 attempts. Zero killer instinct. Not much of a legacy can be formed around player like that. So when I see hear things like "lebron's legacy", one must ask the question:

What legacy? A legacy of essentially being a modern day Jerry West? Well OK then.

Averaging 1.4 ppg RealSkipBayless's Avatar

3ball DESTROYING these kids with facts..

Quote Originally Posted by RealSkipBayless
    3ball DESTROYING these kids with facts..
    They log into ISH feeling the slight bit of confidence before making a pro Lebron thread only to end the day feeling shit on by 3ball.

Quote Originally Posted by egokiller
    Even if we omit 2011 and just focus on 2016 game 7, what exactly did Lebron do when it mattered most in the last 4 minutes of play? Sure he scored 10 points leading up to the final 4 minutes in the 4th but it was only because Kyrie lit a fire under his ass by finishing off the 3rd qtr with 10 straight points of his own before the final minute of the 3rd. So what does lebron provide in the last 4 minutes of the biggest game in Cleveland history with all eyes on him?

A shaky free throw and a block. Talk about mentally checking out under pressure.

We know how the story ends.

Kyrie hits the dagger and makes history. Doing what lebron knows he could never do, which is make a go ahead shot in the finals. He's something like 0-8 attempts. Zero killer instinct. Not much of a legacy can be formed around player like that. So when I see hear things like "lebron's legacy", one must ask the question:

What legacy? A legacy of essentially being a modern day Jerry West? Well OK then.
    LeBron in the 4th of Game 7

Led both teams in scoring by a substantial margin
    Had the GOAT block to preserve the tie
    Hit the FT to all but clinch the game
    Made Straight_Ballin switch accounts

That's a lot more impressive than a single basket

It definitely was a bad moment for him, good thing he made up for it with great moments in the years that follow. Only a small niche crowd still bangs this drum, everyone else enjoyed the incredible stuff he did for the game beyond that year.....imagine having a run insane enough to become a goat candidate after having "that" series. Bron James folks