Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3101112131415 LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Default Re: Do people really believe KD is only a good scorer because of his free throws?

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    When the refs set the tone for one team that "No, we're calling it tight tonight" but for OKC it's "No, we're going loose. We're gonna let you guys get in there and D up". That affects how you play. You can't set 2 different tones and then also go out of your way to make sure the other team is in the penalty a couple minutes into each quarter.
    You have to give some credit to the player though. If it was so easy to get to the line like that, everyone would do it.

People did the same thing with MJ...they bitched an bitched and bitched about his free throws.

If it's so easy...get to the line more. My point is that it's not easy and that guys like Durant and Harden deserve credit.

How I feel in ur head maybeshewill13's Avatar

Default Re: Do people really believe KD is only a good scorer because of his free throws?

When the refs set the tone for one team that "No, we're calling it tight tonight" but for OKC it's "No, we're going loose. We're gonna let you guys get in there and D up". That affects how you play. You can't set 2 different tones and then also go out of your way to make sure the other team is in the penalty a couple minutes into each quarter.
    Mad as fuq as always. ****ing love it Get a life you salty princess

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    You have to give some credit to the player though. If it was so easy to get to the line like that, everyone would do it.

People did the same thing with MJ...they bitched an bitched and bitched about his free throws.

If it's so easy...get to the line more. My point is that it's not easy and that guys like Durant and Harden deserve credit.
    How exactly do you go about getting the refs to blow the whistle when nobody fouled you? Stop playing dumb. Let's not act like this is some kind of special skill that Durant possess that others simply lack. There's obviously an agenda to push this guy.

How exactly do you go about getting the refs to blow the whistle when nobody fouled you? Stop playing dumb. Let's not act like this is some kind of special skill that Durant possess that others simply lack. There's obviously an agenda to push this guy.
    Then you are saying that all the refs get together and agree to give phantom calls to Durant and Harden.

So what is more likely? That Harden and Durant do something to get more calls?...or that there is a conspiracy?

Really take a minute and think about it.

Local High School Star

stats paddar,protected by the refs = KD

Then you are saying that all the refs get together and agree to give phantom calls to Durant and Harden.

So what is more likely? That Harden and Durant do something to get more calls?...or that there is a conspiracy?

You are asking one of the most dense trolls on this board to do something his brain can not possibly accomplish.

Not a conspiracy, just a benefit of the doubt.

Like if Durant stumbles over his own foot, the ref blows his whistle. It's like he's thinking "Well, Durant just stumbled. Clearly that guy near him MUST have fouled him. I didn't see a foul but what other explanation could there possibly be?".

If Durant loses control of the ball "Oh, KD just lost the handle. That guy must have hit him".

Even OKC fans will admit that shit shit is commonplace for Durant this season. He's not doing it on purpose to strategically get calls. He's just messing up and getting the benefit of the doubt. It's not being unbiased to just pretend this isn't the case.

Not a conspiracy, just a benefit of the doubt.

Like if Durant stumbles over his own foot, the ref blows his whistle. It's like he's thinking "Well, Durant just stumbled. Clearly that guy near him MUST have fouled him. I didn't see a foul but what other explanation could there possibly be?".

If Durant loses control of the ball "Oh, KD just lost the handle. That guy must have hit him".

Even OKC fans will admit that shit shit is commonplace for Durant this season. He's not doing it on purpose to strategically get calls. He's just messing up and getting the benefit of the doubt. It's not being unbiased to just pretend this isn't the case.

Again though. Why? It's either Durant doing something to get more of these calls...or you are claiming that refs give Durant the benefit of the doubt for reasons not related to basketball.

Sorry...can't have it both ways.

Again though. Why? It's either Durant doing something to get more of these calls...or you are claiming that refs give Durant the benefit of the doubt for reasons not related to basketball.

Sorry...can't have it both ways.
    How am I having it both ways? Those two scenario are mutually EXLUSIVE.

I've been saying this entire time that it's NOT Durant doing something to get calls and it IS the refs giving him the benefit of the doubt. I've been perfectly consistent here.

Are there enough examples of this to say it?

How am I having it both ways? Those two scenario are mutually EXLUSIVE.

I've been saying this entire time that it's NOT Durant doing something to get calls and it IS the refs giving him the benefit of the doubt. I've been perfectly consistent here.
    I'm saying it is either a conspiracy or he's doing something. When you have a sample this big with different refs..different games...different circumstances...all of it. And he's getting to the line like he is....it's not a fluke stat anomaly or something.

So all the refs either choose to give Durant phantom calls...or Durant/Harden do things to get the refs to make the calls you are talking about.

That is what I mean by not having it both ways. You can't say it's not a conspiracy type situation...and then say that Durant gets extra free throws each game on phantom calls that you know other players don't get. And then say Durant does nothing to get these calls...he just gets them. That implies a ref conspiracy to give Durant more free throws than other players.

And I asked you to think about it...and I guess you didn't.

One thing that is being overlooked is that all things being even, Durant will still get more foul calls than any of the other superstars because he's a 90% shooter so he'll be the guy shooting ALL technical freethrows (not huge but noteworthy). He also is just better at drawing fouls than the other guys mentioned because of his freakish wingspan, it's simply not enough to put a hand up on his jumpshot like you would do with Lebron, Melo, or Kobe and since he's such a deadeye shooter and so quick for his size he gets fouled at a much higher rate when he puts the ball on the floor. The fact of the matter is you can have a game where you get some phantom/bad calls but over the course of an entire season you can't explain his high number of attempts on refereeing. It's like flipping a coin heads or tails, sure you can have ten heads in a row or some "fluke" in the short run, but the higher number of tosses the closer to 50% you'll get in the long run. Durant is clearly the second best player in the league behind Lebron and there is a smaller gap from Lebron to Durant than from Durant to whomever you rank third.

Quote Originally Posted by fos
    One thing that is being overlooked is that all things being even, Durant will still get more foul calls than any of the other superstars because he's a 90% shooter so he'll be the guy shooting ALL technical freethrows (not huge but noteworthy). He also is just better at drawing fouls than the other guys mentioned because of his freakish wingspan, it's simply not enough to put a hand up on his jumpshot like you would do with Lebron, Melo, or Kobe and since he's such a deadeye shooter and so quick for his size he gets fouled at a much higher rate when he puts the ball on the floor. The fact of the matter is you can have a game where you get some phantom/bad calls but over the course of an entire season you can't explain his high number of attempts on refereeing. It's like flipping a coin heads or tails, sure you can have ten heads in a row or some "fluke" in the short run, but the higher number of tosses the closer to 50% you'll get in the long run. Durant is clearly the second best player in the league behind Lebron and there is a smaller gap from Lebron to Durant than from Durant to whomever you rank third.
    I brought up the techs and the fact that the Thunder are in the bonus more than any other team other than the Lakers...and that is probably solely due to the hack a howard. These points were mostly ignored.

What you say is exactly true. Over the course of the season...statistical anomalies even out. So it's either 1 of 2 things;

1. Durant does something to get to the line more often than some of the other players

2. There is a league wide ref conspiracy to send Durant to the line more often

Those are your only 2 options.

I'm saying it is either a conspiracy or he's doing something. When you have a sample this big with different refs..different games...different circumstances...all of it. And he's getting to the line like he is....it's not a fluke stat anomaly or something.

So all the refs either choose to give Durant phantom calls...or Durant/Harden do things to get the refs to make the calls you are talking about.

That is what I mean by not having it both ways. You can't say it's not a conspiracy type situation...and then say that Durant gets extra free throws each game on phantom calls that you know other players don't get. And then say Durant does nothing to get these calls...he just gets them. That implies a ref conspiracy to give Durant more free throws than other players.

And I asked you to think about it...and I guess you didn't.
    Who am I to say there's a ref conspiracy? I have no knowledge of their staff meetings or discussions. I have no evidence to claim that I know what they do or don't do behind closed doors. All I can go by is what I see for myself. I can tell you what I see take place, but I can't speak to the motivations or reasons for it. I can tell you that I see Durant getting officiated unusually softly, but I can't speculate why.

Who am I to say there's a ref conspiracy? I have no knowledge of their staff meetings or discussions. I have no evidence to claim that I know what they do or don't do behind closed doors. All I can go by is what I see for myself. I can tell you what I see take place, but I can't speak to the motivations or reasons for it. I can tell you that I see Durant getting officiated unusually softly, but I can't speculate why.
    And you think Durant has nothing to do with it though...so that means the refs ref Durant differently than other players for no reason.

How do you not see what I'm saying? Think about it. You have different refs, reffing different games, with different defenses and players, different scenarios...etc.

And Durant continues to shoot his free throw rate. So either the refs have chosen to give him softer calls...or he does something to warrant more trips to the line.

You watching the games is worth something, but it's also extremely limited because you don't watch every second of every game of Durant, Harden, Kobe, Melo, Lebron..etc.

So it's a limited analysis and prone to confirmation bias.