Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Do movie theaters shoot themselves in the foot with concession prices?

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Sheen
    Well, yeah, a bunch of food in a cooler or a picnic basket they're gonna probably direct you to that policy.

Say there's a subway in the same strip mall as the theatre and you bring in a sandwich, bag of chips and a drink. They're not stopping you for that.
    Lol, yes, they will. I've seen it happen multiple times at various theaters. Theaters are pretty keen to enforce the no outside food or drink policy. Perhaps things are different in other parts of the country, but multiple posters have noted that it's the same where they are as well. It's always best to make that trip to your local dollar or convenience store, making sure your girl is carrying her large handbag.

Default Re: Do movie theaters shoot themselves in the foot with concession prices?

Quote Originally Posted by Meticode
    Going to the movie theater is the only time in my life I actually like that my wife has a huge purse. You can stuff like 4-5 Beef 'n' Cheddars in there on top of what she keeps in that thing regularly.
    #preach

3-time NBA All-Star Lakers Legend#32's Avatar

I'm there to see the movie. Period.
    I eat before I go so I'm only being ripped off for the ticket price.

Local High School Star Bimbo Coles's Avatar

Bringing in outside food, unconcealed? Why? If they have a policy re outside food... and they all do... they won't let you bring it in. But, if they don't have a policy re checking bags... and most do not... you can use a plastic bag to transport the food in. Simply put, they do not have the right to see the contents of your bag.

Local High School Star baudkarma's Avatar

There are some places that are bucking the trend and actually charging what I would consider "reasonable" concession prices. The Atlanta Falcons made a bit of a stir when they announced concession prices for the new stadium that opened in 2017. $2 for a Coke with free, unlimited refills. $2 hot dogs. $5 for a beer. I don't know of any other sports venues that have followed their lead, though the Masters golf tournament has always had low concession prices.

I'm not much of a moviegoer, but I have two strategies for when I do go. I can go to the dollar theatre (actually $2.50 now) and catch a movie a month or so after it's release. Then I don't feel so ripped off by the concession prices. Alternatively, if I need to see something right after it's released, I go to a place like Studio Movie Grill or Alamo Drafthouse Cinema. There I can get a beer and an appetizer or entree for about the same prices as I'd pay at a restaurant. It doesn't feel like as much of a ripoff as a soft drink and popcorn does.

disagree. Yea you can sneak in food but a lot of people just dont want to. Your only option for food is the concessions so they can hike up the prices and still make a hefty profit(same idea for airports and stadiums). Basically supply/demand stuff. It's staggering how often people give in and pay 10 bucks for a drink and popcorn myself included.

I'll admit the popcorn seasoning is made with crap but addicting. I've even bought it directly from the store

Atlanta's Mercedes-Benz Stadium has done this and kept concession prices low (even for the Super Bowl last month). Super cheap food and $5 draft beer.

They have seen their food sales increase but they are losing money overall (on food) compared to the older/more expensive model.

Although they have noticed a stark increase in jersey/apparel sales since making the changes at the food stand. People get a cheap burger and their more likely to splurge on a $100 jersey.

I think more people would go to the movies but it would need to be better food overall. The easy solution tho is just to bring your own snacks and eat a solid meal before heading out.

Every movie viewing experience is shit compared to a Cinebistro.

https://cinebistro.com/mobile/

How are you going to sneak in a steak dinner?
    Last edited by egokiller; 03-21-2019 at 02:24 PM.

Decent college freshman Ben Simmons 25's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by egokiller
    Every movie viewing experience is shit compared to a Cinebistro.

https://cinebistro.com/mobile/

How are you going to sneak in a steak dinner?
    Aren

[QUOTE=Ben Simmons 25]Aren

NBA sixth man of the year Levity's Avatar

yeah its def on the pricey side. me and my wife will usually go to a harkins theater and spend anywhere from $20-50 on concession stand alone since they have a bunch of random foods like mini corndogs, pizzas, fries, etc. and i have the bad habit of saying "fvck it" and buying whatever (and only eating like a 1/4 of it because my stoney eyes were a hell of a lot hungrier than my stomach)

so all i can say... thank god theres only like 1 movie a year i "have" to watch in theaters.