Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Mark Jackson says God is most responsible for the Warriors Playoff spot

Quote Originally Posted by Shepseskaf
    There are NO contemporaneous accounts of jesus' life, as portrayed by the bible. None. Not one.

There were plenty of prophets and teachers in those days, and the activities of the major ones are chronicled in a detailed way by scribes.

Not a single mention of jesus. No loaves and fishes, no water to wine miracles, no walking on water, no raising the dead. Nothing. The only written material about him originated long after his supposed death.

The bottom line for this entire thread: sports figures need to stop connecting any of their activities with god. Immediately. Doing it just makes them look ridiculous.

Divine entities have absolutely nothing to do with success or failure on the playing field.
    I quite clearly said there is historical proof, I said nothing of when it was written.
    The first accounts of "Jesus" AND mind you, reffering to him as a deity was 37 years after his crucifixion (also documented outside religious text by the romans by the way). Hardly a seriously long time for a historian to gather information.

Very good NBA starter

Default Re: Mark Jackson says God is most responsible for the Warriors Playoff spot

Quote Originally Posted by rmt
    Some of the posts in this thread are just pathetic - making fun of a man just because of his religious beliefs. In case you've forgotten your civics lessons, he has the freedom of religion in this country and can say whatever he wants about his God.

Quote Originally Posted by Walker
    I quite clearly said there is historical proof, I said nothing of when it was written.
    The first accounts of "Jesus" AND mind you, reffering to him as a deity was 37 years after his crucifixion (also documented outside religious text by the romans by the way). Hardly a seriously long time for a historian to gather information.
    You're missing the point. The daily activities of many preachers and teachers were chronicled during the time that jesus was supposedly alive. Had any of the events detailed in the bible taken place, given his ostensible place of prominence, they would undoubtedly have been noted AT THE TIME. Not later.

As for the 'crucifixion', the personal papers of Pontius Pilate (who was a real historical figure) have been studied. To my understanding, there isn't a single word documented by Pilate about jesus. Only bible sources (written after jesus supposed death -- as you noted) carry the same story.

There are so many holes in the 'jesus story' its ridiculous. I'm sure you'll go on believing what you do, but understand that actual history does not back you up.

Quote Originally Posted by Brokenbeat
    The burden of proof is on those making the claim, not the scientists that laugh at the absurdity of it. Besides, you don't have to know the right answer, to know that something is wrong. I don't know what 154,254 x 945,645 equals without a calculator, but I know the answer isn't 5, lol.

You're welcomed to your own opinion as long as you know that it differs from the experts in the field though. That said, you're making a case for a creator, not the God of the Abrahamic religions. It's easy to say "look around" when you can't back up the ridiculous claims made in the Bible/Torah/Qur'an.
    It is the so-called experts' or scientists' own SCIENTIFIC METHOD that puts the burden of proof on them:

The scientific method is the process by which scientists, collectively and over time, endeavor to construct an accurate (that is, reliable, consistent and non-arbitrary) representation of the world.
    Recognizing that personal and cultural beliefs influence both our perceptions and our interpretations of natural phenomena, we aim through the use of standard procedures and criteria to minimize those influences when developing a theory. In summary, the scientific method attempts to minimize the influence of bias or prejudice in the experimenter when testing an hypothesis or a theory.
    I. The scientific method has four steps

1. Observation and description of a phenomenon or group of phenomena.

2. Formulation of an hypothesis to explain the phenomena. In physics, the hypothesis often takes the form of a causal mechanism or a mathematical relation.

3. Use of the hypothesis to predict the existence of other phenomena, or to predict quantitatively the results of new observations.

4. Performance of experimental tests of the predictions by several independent experimenters and properly performed experiments.

And yes, I choose to BELIEVE that the marvel that's the body of Lebron James didn't EVOLVE from some single-cell amoeba randomly coming together.
    Last edited by rmt; 04-10-2013 at 01:30 PM.

Banned

How great is our gawd? He sacrificed himself and his team so that the Warriors would be saved.

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59

How great is our gawd? He sacrificed himself and his team so that the Warriors would be saved.
    I kinda want somebody with way too much time on their hands to edit Kobe's face onto Tom Cruise's in every scene of Magnolia

It's ugly ass B.Walton

God should rather spend his fhcking time getting Utah's frontcourt injured so that we're a lock for the PO. Not help some Warriors team from the G.ay Area (pun intended)

Quote Originally Posted by Element
    God should rather spend his fhcking time getting Utah's frontcourt injured so that we're a lock for the PO. Not help some Warriors team from the G.ay Area (pun intended)
    Isn't it ironic that it's a God-believing team from the G.ay Area? Anyway, some of the posts in this thread smack of intolerance for the religious while tolerance for the gays is encouraged (eg in Magic's son thread). Be consistent - if one is going to preach tolerance, it should be tolerance for all. At least legally, freedom of religion is explicitly stated in our Bill of Rights and was the reason why so many first came to this country.

It's ugly ass B.Walton

Well, yeah that was the point of "pun intended". Just for the record, I'm agnostic but everyone has the right to believe what they want. Whether it's the giant world destroying orbit noodle or God, feel free to be spiritual, just keep me out of it and don't force it on anyone else (your children included!!).

Ask Mark Jackson if Satan made that Ex-Stripper try to black mail him with nude photos.

Quote Originally Posted by crisoner
    Ask Mark Jackson if Satan made that Ex-Stripper try to black mail him with nude photos.

And what of repentance, forgiveness and second chances in this great country of ours? I think that Mark Jackson more than others is aware of his mistakes and the great opportunity he's been afforded (in spite of his mistakes) in coaching this team in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by rmt
    And what of repentance, forgiveness and second chances in this great country of ours? I think that Mark Jackson more than others is aware of his mistakes and the great opportunity he's been afforded (in spite of his mistakes) in coaching this team in the playoffs.
    You are getting my comment all wrong. God had NOTHING to do with the Warriors going to the playoffs. It was hard work and good coaching.

I'm tired of all this God did this crap. SMH Understand?

Quote Originally Posted by crisoner
    You are getting my comment all wrong. God had NOTHING to do with the Warriors going to the playoffs. It was hard work and good coaching.

I'm tired of all this God did this crap. SMH Understand?
    The point is that if Jackson and his players themselves (who did the hard work and coaching) believe that God had something to do with GSW in the playoffs, they are perfectly within their legal right to do so (freedom of religion) and to express that belief (freedom of speech).

Is that there too many atheist here on ISH....