Default 76ers defense on the rise

http://www.nba.com/sixers/news/150211-progress

A major factor in Philadelphia’s defensive success this season has been the play redshirt rookie Nerlens Noel, whose presence at the rim has helped transform the team’s play on that end of the floor.

At just 20 years of age, the 6’11” big man has posted the best defensive box plus-minus ever for a player 21 years or younger, allowing 4.2 fewer points per 100 possessions than a league average player would. Not only does that number lead the Sixers, but it also ranks fourth among all players this season, just ahead of Tony Allen (3.7), Joakim Noah (3.5), and Marc Gasol (3.5); those three have combined for six All-Defensive Team nods and a pair of Defensive Player of the Year awards since 2011.

As his rookie season has progressed, Noel’s impact on the defensive end has become even more palpable. In addition to leading all first-year players in blocks (1.7) and steals (1.6) per game, he’s the only player in the league that ranks in the top-20 overall in both categories. He gets himself in position to contest the 10th most attempts at the rim per game (8.8), and among those who see at least that many attempts a night, he ranks second in opponent field-goal percentage, allowing just a 46.3% conversion rate.

Default Re: 76ers defense on the rise

I think I saw tonight that he 6ers are first in the league in SPG?

That has to be at least one positive sign...

Default Re: 76ers defense on the rise

Quote Originally Posted by hawksdogsbraves
    I think I saw tonight that he 6ers are first in the league in SPG?

That has to be at least one positive sign...
    True. The caveat is that they play at a fast pace but still. That length and athleticism is serving it's purpose.