Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst ... 45678910 ... LastLast

Default Re: Report: Devean George blocks Kidd trade!

They should tell him to either accept the trade, or get the Tim Thomas treatment. I.E., sit at home and collect your paycheck.

Not that I really blame George. If he doesn't want to get traded, and he's in that rare position that he has the ability to stop it...can't blame him.

Are the Mavericks morons? They didn't know he had a no-trade clause until tonight? They never asked him in advance if he'd mind being included in the trade?

Something is strange about that.......

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Default Re: Devean George: "I'll be the bad guy"

Quote Originally Posted by DatZNasty
    ^ no badabing you got it wrong. If this trade goes through he waives his Larry Bird rights, those rights which allow his team to go over the cap to resign him at the end of the year without having to cut into their MLE. With teams being more and more reluctant to go into their MLE, and very few teams having cap room, this is basically his last chance at a big contract after this season. His current team will be able to give him up to a 20% raise (because he's on a 1yr contract, as opposed to 10% raises on multiyear deals)

Basically, he's making 2.3 mil this yr. If he goes to NJ, they'd only be able to resign him for up 2.76 mil (2.3+ up to 20% raise) without dipping into their MLE. If he stays with Dallas, they can resign him at the end of the year for up to 5.3 mil without getting into their MLE. It's basically twice the money.
    good breakdown DatZ

Local High School Star

Every Dallas Maverick besides the one in that trade should whoop his ass at practice tommorrow.

He's a marked man in Dallas now..

College superstar

Default Re: Devean George: "I'll be the bad guy"

paraphrased from DaMavs on db.com. I'm still not quite understanding the 5.3million figure though but he's always right on the CBA related things

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by RandomBalla55
    Every Dallas Maverick besides the one in that trade should whoop his ass at practice tommorrow.

He's a marked man in Dallas now..
    Mavs are the softest team in the NBA. Only person in that locker room who could beat him up is Stack or Josh. If it's 1 on 1, he'd murk everybody else easy.

From a site that's not i.s.h

[quote]Sources close to the situation told ESPN.com that the teams verbally agreed to a seven-player deal earlier Wednesday in which Dallas would have sent 24-year-old point guard Devin Harris, veteran swingman Jerry Stackhouse, center DeSagana Diop, guard Maurice Ager and George along with $3 million and two future first-round picks -- to the Nets for Kidd and forward Malik Allen. The teams were planning to submit the trade details for league approval when George informed the Mavericks that he wouldn't agree to being included. ESPN.com

"It would have been done tonight if not for [George]," said one team official involved in assembling what looked to be the NBA's third blockbuster deal this month. But Dallas, according to sources, is not optimistic about changing George's mind, meaning that both teams would likely have to put other players in the deal if the nine-year veteran can't be swayed. The Nets wanted George included because his contract expires at season's end, adding to their long-term salary savings from the transaction. "We're not trying to block anything," Bartlestein told ESPN.com. "The issue is that if he agrees to this deal, he has to give up his Bird rights. To lose that tool in today's world of free agency is a difficult thing to do. "In this day and age, the sign-and-trade is a valuable tool that I don't want to lose for Devean. We're not trying to cause a problem. Teams have to do what's in their best interest. Sometimes players do, too. I hate to cause grief, but I have to do what's best for Devean. It's not a power play. My job is to protect him." ESPN.com

If George's veto ends up quashing this trade, it would not be the first time that a lesser name caused a monumental deal to collapse. In the summer of 2000, Matt Geiger's refusal to waive his trade kicker squelched a four-team deal between the Sixers, Pistons, Lakers and Hornets that would have sent Allen Iverson to the Pistons. ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard reports that the Nets and the Mavs were likewise poised to complete a separate trade that would send swingman Wright to Dallas for a future second-round pick. ESPN.com

Unless George changes his mind, the Mavericks are going to have to put someone else in the deal who makes about what he makes -- $2.4 million. Dallas doesn't have anyone else making that money, so the Nets are going to have to put someone else in, too. "We

Local High School Star

lol he just saved the Mavs from that horrible trade ...
    good job George!

I don't get why the Mavs refused to give Nash the extension he wanted because of his age, but then go and trade for a PG who is older?

I love LAaaaaaaaaaaa! Lakers Fan's Avatar

Wouldn't he agree to this deal if the Nets just agreed to buy him out and Dallas resigns him????

Good college starter Eldrunko247's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SCREWstonRockets
    I don't get why the Mavs refused to give Nash the extension he wanted because of his age, but then go and trade for a PG who is older?
    Don't forget they gave Damp a 70 mil contract. HAHA they could have just kept Nash for 60 something. Damp is trash.

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

The Mavericks are the dumb ones here. First for giving him a no-trade clause and then seemingly forgetting that he had it and might use it here.

I'd do the same thing. Stay on the better team and have at least the chance for a bigger contract after this one finishes. Just because the Mavs really want Jason Kidd shouldn't mean a thing to George.

Quote Originally Posted by SCREWstonRockets
    Ye letting go of Nash was a big no-no, and considering the fact that it turned the Suns (one of the biggest opponents of the Mavs) to a powerhouse team makes it even worst.

shhhhhhh

Qwyjibo
    it's actually not a "no trade clause"..it's a rule in the CBA, that George is exercising...

The Los Angeles Lakers' Kobe Bryant is the only player in the league with a specific no-trade clause in his contract, but league rules dictate that it's a right George also possesses because he's on a one-year contract (worth $2.4 million) and because Dallas would have Early Bird rights to re-sign him this summer.

If such a player is traded, Bird rights are not traded with him. So league rules compensate for this by requiring George's consent in any trade.
    espn.com

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lakers Fan
    Wouldn't he agree to this deal if the Nets just agreed to buy him out and Dallas resigns him????
    as DatZ and others have pointed out, its mostly about his ability to get a bigger contract next year by not losing his bird rights.

Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Ahh ok. Still then, I don't blame George for looking out for his own interests. I would be doing the same thing. Like he said in that interview, there is still time before the trade deadline for the Mavs and Nets to work something else out.

When you're a scrubby player, money should be your #1 priority.