Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 512131415
    College superstar

Default Re: Report: Devean George blocks Kidd trade!

^ KVH is enough. His final contract yr was 16mil so the Mavs can sign him for anything up to 17.6mil (10% raises) to make it fit. Problem from the Mavs side is, that puts them 17.6 or however far more over the cap so they have to pay luxury tax on it, effectively making him cost 35million

If they wanted to replace George, they could just sign him for 2.4, if they wanted to replace George and Stackhouse (assuming NJ would allow it), they could sign him for 9.1

Not airballing my layups anymore

_ason Kidd to Dallas = Gary Payton v2.0 (Lakers)

Bump

First off, I hate this trade. I wouldn't trade Harris for Kidd straight up. When we don't win the championship this year or next, 3 years from now we will regret this. Then losing Diop is idiotic as well, especially after the two big man acquisitions made by phoenix and LA.

The only thing that could possibly salvage it would be a move like acquiring kurt thomas. Don't know what pieces we have left to even make this work but it was discussed here sometime ago.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/basket...61_sonx14.html

Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote Originally Posted by soog
    First off, I hate this trade. I wouldn't trade Harris for Kidd straight up. When we don't win the championship this year or next, 3 years from now we will regret this. Then losing Diop is idiotic as well, especially after the two big man acquisitions made by phoenix and LA.
    3 years from now you will be faced with Dirk/Howard/Terry/Damp at these ages; 32/30/33/35. Stackhouse will definitely be gone also (36). This means that if we dont win the championship in 3 years, odds of us winning after that are slim to none.

So if Harris hits his peak in 3 years it will be irrelevant because the prominent core on the team will be on the decline and past their prime. Sure Kidd will probably be gone, but who cares at that point.

So we can give it our all for the next 3 years with a hall-of-fame PG since we will have to start thinking about rebuilding in a few years anyway.

As far as Diop, he has been on the decline all season anyway. I dont see that as a big loss, but, even if Cuban wants to bring him back he will be a free agent at the end of the year anyway because Im sure NJ will let him expire.

i sure hope you're right big al. I loved kidd back in the day, and I like that cuban's ready to pay up for talent (a few years too late in my opinion, curious where we'd be with jamison and nash still on the team). I'm just scared that we might be mortgaging even year 2 and 3 if this season doesn't pan out.

my biggest fear is who we throw at shaq, gasol, and duncan when damp fouls out at half time.

Quote Originally Posted by soog
    i sure hope you're right big al. I loved kidd back in the day, and I like that cuban's ready to pay up for talent (a few years too late in my opinion, curious where we'd be with jamison and nash still on the team). I'm just scared that we might be mortgaging even year 2 and 3 if this season doesn't pan out.

my biggest fear is who we throw at shaq, gasol, and duncan when damp fouls out at half time.
    Trust me, I hope Im right too! I tried to think about it logically taking everything into consideration. But Im also crossing my fingers!!

You have a legit concern with the other bigs in the west. Im thinking the Mavs are not done yet (technically they cant be because now they have 2 roster spots open). Maybe they can snag Kurt Thomas from the Sonics if they buy him out?

By the way, Van Horn gave his consent a little while ago so it looks as if it is going to go down:

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn...c.php?t=354422

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/200...s_all_but.html
    Last edited by BigAl; 02-19-2008 at 01:32 AM.

So it looks like the general consensus is that KVH has agreed and that the league will approve this deal tomorrow. I have to think Donnie has something else up his sleeve because:

A) we are receiving two players we don't need in this trade
    B) we gave up, what is in my opinion, a very valuable piece in Diop leaving us short at the center postion.
    C) like Big Al said, we now have 2 empty roster spots.

Anyone have any realistic speculations as to what this next move might be other than the aforementioned Kurt Thomas?

One thing I didnt think of. What if the under the table plan is for NJ to waive Diop immediately. Could Dallas resign him then?

I mean NJ has Josh Boone and Sean Williams, not sure what they would do with Diop.

Dunking on everybody in the park Alan's Avatar

They have Krstic and Swift aswell. And when Curly is playing better and better each day, Diop might not even get the minutes of Jason Collins.

yeah I was wondering about Diop being released and resigning, but had no idea why A) no one else has mentioned that possibility and B) why the mavs wouldn't just sign KVH for 4mil + Diops value, and not even worry about "trading" him.