Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default US places the largest order for latest submarines ever

To counter Chinese forces in the South China Sea and the Pacific. China turning out to be the Japanese of the 30s (hopefully not of the 40s).

The US Navy on Monday awarded its most expensive shipbuilding contract ever, more than $22.2 billion worth of the world's most advanced submarines.

The massive contract for nine nuclear-powered, Virginia class attack submarines comes just months after the head of the US Navy in the Pacific warned of a massive Chinese naval buildup and his trouble in getting enough submarines to counter it.

The deal "marks the US Navy's latest response to China's growing military power and aggressive actions in the Western Pacific," said Carl Schuster, a former director of operations at the US Pacific Command's Joint Intelligence Center.

Rear Adm. David Goggins, the Navy's program executive officer for submarines, called them "a generational leap in submarine capability for the Navy" in a statement on the Navy's website Monday.

They'll be bigger, displacing 10,200 tons compared to 7,800 on the current subs; they'll be longer, 460 feet compared to 377 feet; and they'll have substantial more firepower, with the ability to launch strikes with 40 Tomahawk cruise missiles, compared to just 12 on the current ships.
    The Chinese are coming, the Chinese are coming. But we will be ready when they do.
    Last edited by bladefd; 12-04-2019 at 04:09 AM.

Default Re: US places the largest order for latest submarines ever

22 billion for state of the art Submarines doesn't really sound that lucrative

For comparison Lockheed's F-35 program costs north of 1.5 Trillion, with each Jet costing 105m

China has a history of taking blows, but they've never been good at throwing back

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Has anyone done a solid breakdown of the actual material and labor costs of building these kinda things after R&D and building the assembly lines and so on are complete?

Whats the cost of putting together a jet once the precise plan, proper machinery, and right people to do it are taken care of?

I just wonder if R&D and all the side shit that goes with a military contract are factored in when they say it costs 100 million for a plane or 2 billion+ for a sub. Like....do they do a total program breakdown and just divide it by the order number or are we paying these giant numbers for just the assembly/material each time?

Is it like making pills where all the R&D/testing makes the first one cost half a billion but all the rest are a nickel but sold at a premium to make up for the cost of developing them?

If all you had to do was build it and nothing else....whats the cost?

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    Has anyone done a solid breakdown of the actual material and labor costs of building these kinda things after R&D and building the assembly lines and so on are complete?

Whats the cost of putting together a jet once the precise plan, proper machinery, and right people to do it are taken care of?

I just wonder if R&D and all the side shit that goes with a military contract are factored in when they say it costs 100 million for a plane or 2 billion+ for a sub. Like....do they do a total program breakdown and just divide it by the order number or are we paying these giant numbers for just the assembly/material each time?

Is it like making pills where all the R&D/testing makes the first one cost half a billion but all the rest are a nickel but sold at a premium to make up for the cost of developing them?

If all you had to do was build it and nothing else....whats the cost?
    Yes the program contracts include R&D/maintenance/upgrades

Many military contracts run upwards to 3-5+ decades, because unlike cars which last say 5 years @ 100k miles before major maintenance. Aircrafts and Naval Vessels are meant to function for atleast 20 years to a half century. The AC-130 gunship is one of the most feared aircrafts in modern combat, it's 25 years old (1996). Same with the A-10 (1977), that was just retired

The F-35 program runs all the way through 2070

US$1.508 trillion
    US$55.1B for RDT&E
    $319.1B for procurement
    $4.8B for MILCON
    $1123.8B for operations & sustainment

(current dollars obvious w/o inflation)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockhe...5_Lightning_II

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Lockheed has some plants right around here so ive known people involved in all that. I had 2 working with me once who were excited about some big contract they had but were complaining about how the pay wouldnt go up. They made good money but were kinda salty hearing about billions and a line expansion that was more jobs but no more money for the vets.

You guys are fools if you think there will be a traditional war

China knows it stands no chance against the U.S. Nukes will go off the moment the war starts

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

The Chinese are small. They're weak. Demonic dog eaters.

We will destroy them.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
    The Chinese are small. They're weak. Demonic dog eaters.

We will destroy them.
    Its not the Chinese you should be worried about. If theres a war its China, Russia, Iran, North Korea vs. The West.

Quote Originally Posted by n00bie
    Its not the Chinese you should be worried about. If theres a war its China, Russia, Iran, North Korea vs. The West.
    Yoooooo man !!!!
    2008 literally just called less than 20min ago!

They were asking for their poorly informed opinion, regarding imaginary future boogeyman alliances made up in the lying media to scare idiots who trust TV, imaginary boogeyman alliances based on failed, 20th century, disastrously shared ideologies from a bygone era of isolationist hostility where no party had economic dependency upon exporting to any of the others with superior markets......

I said I hadn’t seen that in years.

If you want bro, I can call them back ASAP and let them know that I know a guy ? Lemme know yo

[QUOTE=BarberSchool]Yoooooo man !!!!
    2008 literally just called less than 20min ago!

They were asking for their poorly informed opinion, regarding imaginary future boogeyman alliances made up in the lying media to scare idiots who trust TV, imaginary boogeyman alliances based on failed, 20th century, disastrously shared ideologies from a bygone era of isolationist hostility where no party had economic dependency upon exporting to any of the others with superior markets......

I said I hadn

Quote Originally Posted by scuzzy
    22 billion for state of the art Submarines doesn't really sound that lucrative

For comparison Lockheed's F-35 program costs north of 1.5 Trillion, with each Jet costing 105m

China has a history of taking blows, but they've never been good at throwing back
    and those are fukking garbage as well

noisy as hell too, heard about all the people that live near airbases and even other places that now get their lives ruined due to those loud flying pieces of shit ?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tomtucker

noisy as hell too, heard about all the people that live near airbases and even other places that now get their lives ruined due to those loud flying pieces of shit ?
    You complain a lot

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

And I'm sure those same people want to be able to fly where they want for vacation.

All fighter jets are loud, pal. Find me one that isn't loud and I will call you a liar. That is why they try to keep airbases bit isolated but you can never be completely isolated. There is a joint airforce base like fifteen miles away from my house and we do occasionally hear high flying jets and helicopters. It's not too bad unless if you live within a few miles

All these govt contracts where tanks and jets and shit just get stored away in hangars. We have more battlecruisers than all other nations combined, now a light 22B for submarines. Jesus.

I'd rather overspend on national security than underspend but it's not truly about that. Just lining more pockets while deceiving conservatives and "Boot In Your Ass" Republicans into thinking we need all that manufacturing.

How about redirecting a few billies to supplement the wack nature of the health insurance companies?