Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Thunder set local TV ratings record. NBA destroys MLB in TV ratings.

lol at comparing the ratings of a two playoff caliber matchups late in the season to an early season stinker with the crappy Marlins and their awful fan base.

Default Re: Thunder set local TV ratings record. NBA destroys MLB in TV ratings.

Quote Originally Posted by kentatm
    lol at comparing the ratings of a two playoff caliber matchups late in the season to an early season stinker with the crappy Marlins and their awful fan base.

I disagree.

The baseball season has just started. It should be new and fresh. Plus the TV ratings for MLB included the Philadelphia, which is a GIANT TV market.

On the flip side, the NBA games mentioned in the OP involved Golden State, Portland and Milwaukee. These are not marquee National teams (although NY is) at all. Yet the NBA still stomped MLB.

On Thursday TNT's Heat/Bulls game drew 3.71 million viewers. It was the second most watched primetime cable program of the night, among all cable programming and stations (not just sports).

Decent college freshman

I am a big sports fan in general. I like football and tennis a lot and will even watch soccer if it's the world cup or something. But I don't understand baseball or its popularity. There's nothing to observe. No creativity whatsoever. It's fun to go to the games, but I can't watch it on TV.

Maybe I just don't watch it enough. I read something about how Manny Ramirez would do all this crazy stuff every time he was at the mound to mess with pitchers. If I were to watch him, there's no way I would notice it, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Zackmorris
    To be fair, no one gives a shit about american football outside of US. Probably little care for baseball but you are right.

Now when it comes to soccer....
    i care

Baseball sucks. I havent watched a full game since Juan Gonzalez was the MVP in Texas.

It is just so awful, I dont even really consider it a sport. It is more of a skill demonstration than an actual sport.

NBA & NFL are the only one's I care anything about.

I hope it destroys the NFL in ratings.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Velocirap31
    Best sport in the world. Too bad it'll never catch football.
    Nationally? No. Worldwide, I'd be surprised if it didn't at least come close within my lifetime.

I usually hit open layups emaugust's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by magnax1
    Nationally? No. Worldwide, I'd be surprised if it didn't at least come close within my lifetime.
    The NFL is so goddamn good at what it does, it would not surprise me if they eventually manage to break football globally.

Though, as it currently stands, basketball is doing much better globally for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by emaugust
    The NFL is so goddamn good at what it does, it would not surprise me if they eventually manage to break football globally.

Though, as it currently stands, basketball is doing much better globally for sure.

The NFL ,when it comes to marketing, branding and public relations is so much better than everyone else, I have often thought that there should be college business courses available to study what the NFL does. Seriously. Their business model is that good.
    Last edited by t-rex; 04-14-2012 at 10:53 PM.

Very good NBA starter

Some funny posts in this thread...

Golf pulls in massive ratings on Sundays going up against the giants of the NFL when their marquee players are in the hunt (tiger/phil).

And with the baseball comparison in the OP, that was a meaningless EARLY regular season game with one good team vs a mediocre team. ONE of 162 regular season games that they play in 180 days.. You're comparing that to a game with two marquee teams fighting for playoff seeding with only 8 games left in the season...

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by miles berg
    It is just so awful, I dont even really consider it a sport. It is more of a skill demonstration than an actual sport.
    this oughta be good, please elaborate...

Quote Originally Posted by YAWN

Golf pulls in massive ratings on Sundays going up against the giants of the NFL when their marquee players are in the hunt (tiger/phil).

And with the baseball comparison in the OP, that was a meaningless EARLY regular season game with one good team vs a mediocre team. ONE of 162 regular season games that they play in 180 days.. You're comparing that to a game with two marquee teams fighting for playoff seeding with only 8 games left in the season...

Did you read the OP?

Since when are Golden State, Milwaukee and Portland marquee NBA teams?

The MLB game included the Philadelphia Phillies, which is one of the most popular MLB teams in the league and a huge TV market for the league.

Plus, MLB was still in its opening few games. Shouldn't it have a little flash? Your'e not telling me that Baseball gets old and stale for its fans during the first week of the season are you?

Quote Originally Posted by YAWN

Try this.

For the opening night of Baseball, ESPN moved its NBA telecast to ESPN2 to clear the air of its flagship station for the OPENING NIGHT of baseball.

The result?

The OPENING NIGHT of the Baseball season featuring the very popular St. Louis Cardinals and the Miami Marlins scored a 1.8 overnight national TV rating.

Meanwhile the NBA game (Heat/Thunder) which was moved to ESPN2 to make way for baseball scored a 2.1 overnight national TV rating.

Source: ESPN

Are you arguing that fans of baseball are already bored of the sport on OPENING NIGHT?

BTW... Golf gets absolutely wiped out by the NFL on Sundays. Its not even close.

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by t-rex
    Did you read the OP?

The MLB game included the Philadelphia Phillies, which is one of the most popular MLB teams in the league and a huge TV market for the league.

Plus, MLB was still in its opening few games. Shouldn't it have a little flash? Your'e not telling me that Baseball gets old and stale for its fans during the first week of the season are you?
    Yes i read the OP. thunder + clippers = two marquee teams jostling for playoff seeding, right?

Phillies versus the awful marlins. Im sure there were still 50,000 people in the stadium, but do you really want Yankees, Red Sox, or Dodger fans to give a shit about that meaningless beginning of the season game?

Quote Originally Posted by t-rex
    OPENING NIGHT of the Baseball season featuring the very popular St. Louis Cardinals and the Miami Marlins scored a 1.8 overnight national TV rating.

Meanwhile the NBA game (Heat/Thunder) which was moved to ESPN2 to make way for baseball scored a 2.1 overnight national TV rating.
    Are you arguing that fans of baseball are already bored of the sport on OPENING NIGHT?

BTW... Golf gets absolutely wiped out by the NFL on Sundays. Its not even close.
    Again. The god awful marlins vs the cards. Im sure St louis households were glued to the tv, there were probably 40k people still at the game.

Last night I was watching the Lakers play at the same time the Dodgers were playing. If the roles were reversed and the MLB season was winding down.. The Dodgers fighting the Padres for the division, and the Lakers were playing a meaningless regular season game against the Bobcats, id be watching the Dodgers game.

Is it insane to assume the sports fans in Miami decided to watch the heat battle the #1 team in the NBA with the biggest threat to their superstars MVP chances a mere handful of days after being embarrassed by them? Seems pretty logical to me.

In regards to your golf comment...Not when tiger or phil are in the hunt on Sunday as I mentioned in my post. People tune away from regular season NFL games in hordes to watch Tiger play golf. 100% fact. Tiger won a small tournament a couple weeks ago and pulled in a 4. something overnighter. Every time Tiger has been in the hunt for majors on Sunday golf has insane ratings that even beat out those NFL games.