Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Michael Jordan's 1998 season most underrated ever

After 2 straight championship seasons, the Bulls are injured, old, and tired... But Michael Jordan, who turned 35 that season, lead the team which lost Scottie Pippen for half of the season due to injury, and with a roster which consisted of Toni Kukoc, 36 year old Dennis Rodman, and 34 year old Ron Harper, lead the team to a 62-20 record, best in the league.

What's more amazing was in the playoffs, where Jordan lead the team to the third straight championships while putting up a PER of 28.1... And I don't have to talk about what Jordan did to the Jazz in the finals...

And in this Jordan's last season with the Bulls, he won the MVP, All-star MVP, and Finals MVP.

Default Re: Michael Jordan's 1998 season most underrated ever

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkWm00nVorU

He still had flashes of supreme athleticism like in this game.

Most underrated ?

I'm pretty sure everyone remembers that season for the shot part 2, MVP, championship, Finals MVP, etc... It's not underrated at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Legends66NBA7
    Most underrated ?

I'm pretty sure everyone remembers that season for the shot part 2, MVP, championship, Finals MVP, etc... It's not underrated at all.
    it never gets mentioned in the greatest individual seasons of all time

Don't forget that he was affected by a bad finger. (Don't quite remember the injury, but it was well documented that season.) Not his best season since this was not his prime, but given the circumstances it was underrated for the reason given by the OP.

Quote Originally Posted by jstern
    Don't forget that he was affected by a bad finger. (Don't quite remember the injury, but it was well documented that season.)
    Didn't he cut his finger with a cigar cutter?

NBA sixth man of the year Micku's Avatar

That's the reason why he won MVP. Pippen was out, and Jordan was mainly the guy who lead the team. He wasn't the best player imo, it was Shaq that year. But Jordan meant more to the team and was very deserving of MVP, and he had to deal with injuries too. Very impressive for a guy his age. Plus Shaq was out too much, so the award was Jordan.

I've been watching the playoffs of the 98 Bulls recently. The offense could get real ugly at times. The saying of defense wins games suited right for the team since their offense wasn't the best it could be. Rodman, Pippen, and Harper provided great defense and Rodman brought insane energy and hustle plays.

Looking back, it's really amazing how the super talented offensive teams like the Lakers and Shaq and Penny Magic could get swept. It would've been epic to see 98 Lakers vs Bulls, but it may have been a sweep since the Jazz owned them. They couldn't get over the hump until Phil.
    Last edited by Micku; 11-28-2012 at 01:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Micku
    That's the reason why he won MVP. Pippen was out, and Jordan was mainly the guy who lead the team. He wasn't the best player imo, it was Shaq that year. But Jordan meant more to the team and was very deserving of MVP, and he had to deal with injuries too. Very impressive for a guy his age. Plus Shaq was out too much, so the award was Jordan.

I've been watching the playoffs of the 98 Bulls recently. The offense could get real ugly at times. The saying of defense wins games suited right for the team since their offense wasn't the best it could be. Rodman, Pippen, and Harper provided great defense and Rodman brought insane energy and hustle plays.

Looking back, it's really amazing how the super talented offensive teams like the Lakers and Shaq and Penny Magic could get swept. It would've been epic to see 98 Lakers vs Bulls.
    because the will of jordan

Comparable to Kobe's 13th season..

I just notice, it also Jordan 13th season.. Both won the championship.. This was Mike last championship and PO appearance.. In their 14th season, Kobe had won another chip as the best player in the league while Mike was fighting for 8th seed in the weak east as a top 30 player in the league.. By 15th season, Kobe was still a top 3 player and Mike was already a washed up player..

In his 16th season, Kobe was still elite player and some people still argue he was still the best player and this time Mike was already retired.. In his 17th season, Kobe regain his title as the best player in the league while Mike is already irrelevant..

Quote Originally Posted by KOBE143

I just notice, it also Jordan 13th season.. Both won the championship.. This was Mike last championship and PO appearance.. In their 14th season, Kobe had won another chip as the best player in the league while Mike was fighting for 8th seed in the weak east as a top 30 player in the league.. By 15th season, Kobe was still a top 3 player and Mike was already a washed up player..

In his 16th season, Kobe was still elite player and some people still argue he was still the best player and this time Mike was already retired.. In his 17th season, Kobe regain his title as the best player in the league while Mike is already irrelevant..
    you remind me of
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flat_earth_society

Quote Originally Posted by Derivative
    I wonder why that is. Jk.

Quote Originally Posted by jstern
    I wonder why that is. Jk.
    lol

Lol, Jordan @ 35>>>>> Kobe any point in his career.

Truth hurts.

Quote Originally Posted by miles berg
    Jordan @ 35>>>>> Kobe any point in his career.
    Stop trolling.. No one believes that shit..

Kobe 17th season >>>>> Jordan 14th and 15th season combined..

Truth hurts..

Local High School Star

O My God you are truly a moron...why do you go on every Jordan thread to try and degrade Jordan and prop up Kobe....just accept the fact that kobe is a top 10 player of all time while Jordan is the GOAT...something that kobe won't ever be in the discussion for