Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
    An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Default Re: Kobe Expected To Sign 3 Year Extension Worth $85 Million

Quote Originally Posted by steeph28
    Correct me if I am wrong, but the Lakers are allowed to go over the salary cap when attempting to resign Lamar and Trevor. The extra money will count towards the luxury tax which is absolutely contingent on how much money Jerry Buss is personally earning.
    no, its contingent on how much the lakers corporation is making in profit. And, really, even that is mis-using the word. Its contingent on the league.

The point is they will have little flexibility to adjust this team as kobe declines.

Correct me if I am wrong, but the Lakers are allowed to go over the salary cap when attempting to resign Lamar and Trevor. The extra money will count towards the luxury tax which is absolutely contingent on how much money Jerry Buss is personally earning.
    Why don't they both take a pay cut, same amount each?

Quote Originally Posted by poido123
    its not kobe's job to finance the team. the team pays him to play...

Custom User Title

Quote Originally Posted by boozehound
    no, its contingent on how much the lakers corporation is making in profit. And, really, even that is mis-using the word. Its contingent on the league.

The point is they will have little flexibility to adjust this team as kobe declines.
    Well Jerry is the owner of the Lakers, so yes it is his money that will be paying the luxury tax...how does the league apply to this?

In either case I don't understand how the word "contingent" was being misused.
    Last edited by steeph28; 07-01-2009 at 12:11 PM.

Good college starter

It never says Kobe is getting that much, it's just a calculated posibilty to get that much. These people.

Custom User Title

Quote Originally Posted by poido123
    Maybe in a fantasy world... I've always wondered "what-if" athletes took pay cuts for the betterment of their teams but professional sports is a business and like any business it is driven by money.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by bagelred
    It's the best thing for Kobe and his family. He's got a family. Family is important. He's just trying to provide for his family. Family.

Yea what would he do with only 20 million a year.. Like Spreewell ,he has to feed his family... Give him his 85million... LOL...

Maybe in a fantasy world... I've always wondered "what-if" athletes took pay cuts for the betterment of their teams but professional sports is a business and like any business it is driven by money.
    Discussion together at the table just Buss and kobe? Then make up a BS story how Kobe feels his genorosity to the club that has been there for him is the least he could do? You can make things happen if you want it to, this could of been done differently, no fantasy...

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by D-Rose
    If Kobe doesn't win another title for the rest of his career, LA would still feel comfortable giving him this contract.

Personally, I think LA should let Ariza go and retain Odom. Fill in the SF with the MLE.

Kobe isn't worth this amount of money but then again no bball player is... If a player is going to get rewarded with a big contract , than Kobe would be the guy I give the contract to... You know the guy isn't taking days off. Ala TMAC..

An uglier Lamar Doom boozehound's Avatar

Well Jerry is the owner of the Lakers, so yes it is his money that will be paying the luxury tax...how does the league apply to this?

In either case I don't understand how the word "contingent" was being misused.
    because the luxury tax isnt contingent on (dependent on/conditioned by) anything buss does. Its a league based cap. Now, whether the lakers are willing to pay the luxury tax may be contingent on the profit margin of the corporation (as reflected by Buss's earnings). Nitpicky I know, but hey, thats what I am.

Banned

Ya need to get off Kobes nuts about him taking 30mil. 30 mils a lot of money why would you not take it but if I was Kobe I will take the pay cut so I can win another ring so Every Kobe hater can S T F U. Na Im Saying Niqqaz!

Quote Originally Posted by ZaaaaaH
    Ya need to get off Kobes nuts about him taking 30mil. 30 mils a lot of money why would you not take it but if I was Kobe I will take the pay cut so I can win another ring so Every Kobe hater can S T F U. Na Im Saying Niqqaz!
    :Canethattakesguyoffstageimmediately:

"Hey we're offering you $85 million for 3 years"

"What, I don't want it!"

"You want more?!?!?!"

"Na man, I want less. Just $60 million for 3 years will do it."

"Deal."

Quote Originally Posted by LJJ
    You really think the Lakers are going to be willing to spend all that luxury tax if the reward is not that certain? I don't think they will.
    As business people, it's up to Buss and AEG to take that risk. It's not up to the players to take less money in order to make things more palpable for management. If the Lakers were struggling to put together funds to sign free agents, I'd be in full agreement that Bryant should less money to make it possible for the team to sign players... however, the team isn't in want of money, and they aren't limited by the luxury tax in signing the specific players they are looking at.

Also, it's possible that Bryant takes less money and Buss opts not to sign Ariza or Odom anyway, or does sign them and they don't win a championship. Why should he be willing to take less money and help management save money if the reward is not that certain according to your logic.

At the very least they will grow overconfident to the point where they will think they don't need * * player at that double price.
    And the older Bryant becomes, the less likely it is that they are going to spend extra money to fill the team, because that team probably isn't going to win any more championships anyway.

Bryant taking a front loaded contract at this point would enlarge the Lakers' "championship window".
    The Lakers will be over the salary cap whether he takes more now and less later or not... and they will be for the forseable future... It's up to the Lakers management to spend the necessary money to retain players. Even if Bryant takes less later, the salary cap will prevent them for spending a lot on new players unless they trade big contracts of have a firesale.

Quote Originally Posted by NBASTATMAN
    Yea what would he do with only 20 million a year.. Like Spreewell ,he has to feed his family... Give him his 85million... LOL...
    Probably wants to own a team or engage in some other large scale business venture when he retires...

Kobe isn't worth this amount of money but then again no bball player is... If a player is going to get rewarded with a big contract , than Kobe would be the guy I give the contract to... You know the guy isn't taking days off. Ala TMAC..
    I don't know if we can say he's not worth that amount of money to the Lakers. When the Lakers were struggling to make the playoffs from 2004-2007, Bryant single handedly kept the stadium filled. I can't imagine how much money he has made the Lakers organization in terms of advertising, ticket sales, merchandise sales...