Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Does anyone here think that Jordan is NOT the GOAT?

Quote Originally Posted by LBJMVP
    wilt isnt the goat... im sorry. if you honestly believe he would even get close to a 50 point season if he started playing in the 80s or even 70s then you are beyond crazy.

he was a great player, but there is a reason why players today dont put up stats like that. the competition is way greater.

MJ is goat and probly always will be. if he isnt, then i hope i'm alive to watch a player that ends up better than him.
    pure homerism. Note you did not even acknowledge that I said Wilt's claim was equally ridiculous to MJ's. Note that you went ahead and attacked Wilt yet rationalized why MJ could do a stupid task but Wilt couldn't - which was exactly what I said you would do . I don't even rank #1's I recognize the group of greatests and all their strengths and I leave it at that.

You = a classic homer.

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    pure homerism. Note you did not even acknowledge that I said Wilt's claim was equally ridiculous to MJ's. Note that you went ahead and attacked Wilt yet rationalized why MJ could do a stupid task but Wilt couldn't - which was exactly what I said you would do . I don't even rank #1's I recognize the group of greatests and all their strengths and I leave it at that.

You = a classic homer.

the hell are you talking about?
    MJ isnt averaging 50 points a game either.

Quote Originally Posted by -23-
    Uhh bullshit. You know the only time a basketball game has ever beat the world series was the 1998 finals? No basketball game since, or before has had as many viewers. Michael Jordan made the sport GLOBAL.

Its Michael Jordan at the moment but its not as clear cut as it seems its very very debatable there are a few of players who at least have a case to be considered the GOAT. It also depends what you define as GOAT because i dont think Michael Jordan is the most skilled player of all time i just think he used what he had to win.

Quote Originally Posted by LBJMVP
    the hell are you talking about?
    MJ isnt averaging 50 points a game either.
    My bad you replied to my response that was to somebody else so I thought you were them.

The guy claimed MJ would score 50 a game (which is something MJ said he would do)... I predicted that poster would reply and attempt to beat down Wilt's similar claim after retiring to be able to score 75 in the modern league. And that poster would rationalize MJ's 50 despite both, obviously being ridiculous.

You didn't try to rationalize the 50 but you did beat down Wilt... still fan bias - I think it's selfish for people to try to determine "Greatests" it literally boils down to nothing but one's personal opinion and the pressure to make some one else cave in and believe what you believe. Even suggesting that there is not a clear-cut GOAT as I do causes massive argumentative backlash.

Being a fan of 1 player is great. But for me personally, as I look back at NBA history from a broad perspective, I've learned it's not fair to call one NBA legend greater than the other. Most people who pick their GOAT don't dedicate the same amount of time and commitment to learn about the other GOAT candidates, and what they do learn about the "competition" is usually cherry picked so as to favor the guy they like the best. Like I said people will see what they wanna see and ignore the rest.
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 03-04-2012 at 10:12 PM.

1- Kareem
    2- Magic
    3- MJ

3-time NBA All-Star

IMHO, the top-4 are Russell, MJ, Magic, and Wilt...and in any order.

Right here.

I have Kareem, Russell, and Magic over him.

Banned

kareem
    magic
    mj
    wilt
    bird

top 5

Great college starter

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialQue
    Right here.

I have Kareem, Russell, and Magic over him.

Magic calls Jordan the GOAT himself....

Russell is the greatest winner, but not on Jordan's level as a player.

Kareem is the only one who really can stand up...but he didn't have the impact that Jordan had on the game. Their have been so many players in Kareem's era that say MJ is the best, there is no way you can give it to Kareem.

College superstar The Iron Fist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bwink23

Kareem is the only one who really can stand up...but he didn't have the impact that Jordan had on the game. Their have been so many players in Kareem's era that say MJ is the best, there is no way you can give it to Kareem.
    Kareem impacted his team immediately and turned them into champions by year two. In 7 seasons he was MVP 4 times. That is impact and more of it than Jordan.

I think you have to deem someone as "the greatest" based on the generation they played in. It's very hard to say what Wilt would've done now, we've all heard the stories and the myths. Jordan is easier for some people because they've seen him play, and see what the game is today. Wilt/Russell and some of the past players, I've heard on Ish that they'd be anywhere from a bench warming scrub no better than Scalabraine to the best center in the league even when Shaq was playing. Truth is, none of us saw them play, just clips and stats. Hard to judge a player based solely upon those. That is why you have to break up GOAT by generations rather than as a whole...

Being "GOAT" extends beyond what you do on a basketball court...and nobody has influenced the sport of basketball greater than Michael Jordan, in terms of popularity and growth, both here at home and worldwide....there was a time when Jordan was considered bigger than basketball itself.
    If you want to go that route, then Mikan is the GOAT. Professional basketball AS A SPORT was on the verge of collapsing until Mikan came along. No Mikan and the NBL doesn't attract fans. If the NBL teams, including Mikan's Lakers, don't defect and join the BAA, then the NBA doesn't exist because there aren't any fan dollars to support it. Also, "big men" were seen as clumsy freaks until Mikan came along and proved that they could have a degree of grace in their games.

So if you want to say influencing the sport of basketball makes someone the GOAT, then the guy responsible for the NBA existing in the first place is the GOAT.

Also:

What the fvck does that have to do with anything?

Great college starter

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialQue
    If you want to go that route, then Mikan is the GOAT. Professional basketball AS A SPORT was on the verge of collapsing until Mikan came along. No Mikan and the NBL doesn't attract fans. If the NBL teams, including Mikan's Lakers, don't defect and join the BAA, then the NBA doesn't exist because there aren't any fan dollars to support it. Also, "big men" were seen as clumsy freaks until Mikan came along and proved that they could have a degree of grace in their games.

So if you want to say influencing the sport of basketball makes someone the GOAT, then the guy responsible for the NBA existing in the first place is the GOAT.

Comparing Mikan's influence to Jordan's???

i'm not even gonna entertain that level of stupidity.