Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
    NBA lottery pick

Default Why did Nikos Galis never play for the Boston Celtics?

Why? While checking the Sabonis/DRob stuff at youtube, I stumbled over his European Championship finals game in 87, where he singlehandidly put Greece over Sabonis/Russia with 40 pts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93qc8EzsohM

That was some awesome stuff and then I found out he was born in Jersey and a college star, who got drafted by the Celtics in 79 (??). Could have helped the Celtics a bit against the Lakers I guess.

Default Re: Why did Nikos Galis never play for the Boston Celtics?

Thanks, Mr Manon: In the spring of 1979 Galis realised that the time had come for him to try and play in the NBA. But this big plan was ruined by the whims of his manager, Bill Manon, who may have ruined Galis' career but surely all Greeks are now grateful to him. Bill Manon was the agent of a few basketball players but mostly actors and artists, etc. Among those was the famous Diana Ross who had just launched her solo career away from her band "The Supremes". 'Upside Down' became a big hit and the agent started making money hand over fist, neglecting his then 22 year old Greek basketball player. So, from the first round of drafts, Galis found himself in the fourth with the number 68 and was picked by the Boston Celtics who had already chosen Larry Bird and wanted Galis just to make up the numbers. Galis tried to stay in the NBA but at the worst possible moment an injury left him out for 2 weeks and on his return, he found his place had been taken by Henderson.
    LINK

Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

One of those players that were VERY good by FIBA rules but would absolutely have been killed in the NBA. It was good both for him and the league he never had to embarrass himself. He was not like Drazen Petrovic. Different kid of player.

Imagine a very small Jordan with half the scoring, no defense, no passing, no rebounding, nothing. If there ever was a selfish ballhog, it was Gallis.

Galis was drafted by the Celtics, but broke his leg during about the same period. He still was the last guy to get cut in the camp and Dan Peterson, who had signed for his cut admitted he was wrong a few years later, when he repeatedly torched his team (Tracer Milan) in the late 80's.

Imagine a very small Jordan with half the scoring, no defense, no passing, no rebounding, nothing. If there ever was a selfish ballhog, it was Gallis.
    Ehmm, Galis was actually a very skilled passer, but as a matter of fact, he didn't pass as much as he could because he could shoot consistantly at a 60+% FG rate. Much like Jordan in the NBA. He did however lead the Greek Championship in assists 4 years in a row and holds the European Championship record with more assists in a game, with 23 or 25. His defense was not there, I agree, but let's not pretend that guys like Drazen or Oscar Schmidt knew what defense was. :)
    Now, as far as rebounding goes, he was absent in defensive boards, but was actually quite a good offensive rebounder for his height (6'0''). Actually, he's grabbed about twice as many offensive rebounds as defensive.

I was very young when I saw Gallis play and his style of play disgusted me a lot. But I didn't like Petrovic either. I loved Kukoc and Divac, Marciulonis, Iowisha and to a lesser extent sabonis who was very good but a whiner.

On those Greek teams I enyojed Yannakis and Fasoulas. Gallis was the best player obviously but I hated his style. He was a razy volume shooter.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and Tkatchenko was a bum. He was as big as Mark Eaton with much of the same skillset. But much worse.

I have two questions.

Is there a game today?
    Did Larry Bird have any other nicknames other than "Legend?"

Learning to shoot layups

Gallis wouldn't have made it in the NBA.
    He was the kind of player that needs to be the star and he wouldn't have gotten it in the NBA, particularily not in the Celtics.
    He wasn't really a PG and was too short to be a SG.
    In the Greek team and Aris, as the star and with a super PG next to him in Yanakis, he thrived because the entire team was working for him (and he excecuted as good as any). But there is no way it would have worked like that in the NBA.

I was very young when I saw Gallis play and his style of play disgusted me a lot. But I didn't like Petrovic either. I loved Kukoc and Divac, Marciulonis, Iowisha and to a lesser extent sabonis who was very good but a whiner.
    Understood. As far as I know, you generally prefer players who did a little from everything than players who were excellent only in specific roles. I still don't know what Jovaisha is doing in this list, though.

On those Greek teams I enyojed Yannakis and Fasoulas. Gallis was the best player obviously but I hated his style. He was a razy volume shooter.
    Same thing. But each one, like Galis, had his own weaknesses. Giannakis at times was taking some out-of-logic shots and was a bit too emotional. Fassoulas was long, but a little raw offensively (didn't have a shot, couldn't dribble more than once and rarely passed).

EDIT: Oh yeah, and Tkatchenko was a bum. He was as big as Mark Eaton with much of the same skillset. But much worse.
    Kind of. But he was out of his prime. In 1979 he was voted player of the year and was pretty reliable.

In the Greek team and Aris, as the start and with a super PG next to him in Yanakis, he thrived because the entire team was working for him (and he excecuted as good as any).
    Galis played without Giannakis from 1980 to 1983 and in 1993. He averaged close to 38 ppg in the first 4 years and 23.7 in 1993, at the age of 35-36, while leading the league in assists.
    Last edited by Psileas; 05-28-2007 at 01:51 PM.

Learning to shoot layups

Galis played without Giannakis from 1980 to 1983 and in 1993. He averaged close to 38 ppg in the first 4 years and 23.7 in 1993, at the age of 35-36, while leading the league in assists.[/QUOTE]

He was averaging 38 ppg in Eurpean early 80's game? I would like to see the source for these stats.

He was averaging 38 ppg in Eurpean early 80's game? I would like to see the source for these stats
    http://www.geocities.com/nikosgalis/stats.html

(It has some mistakes , but the 1st years' stats are correct, except maybe in 1980)

In Greece he scored

1980: 692 in 19 games (other sources say 742 in 26), not sure which is correct.
    1981: 1143 in 26
    1982: 828 in 22
    1983: 869 in 24 (missed 2 due to suspension).

As far as Europe goes, I based my numbers only on books I've read: In 1980, he wasn't allowed to play. In 1981, he played 6 games and had 2 50+ point games, the second against Spencer Haywood's Caserta. In 1982, he played 6 games and had 42 and 48 against Limoges. In 1983 he played 4 games and one of them was a 42-point game against Roma and Larry Wright (played for the NBA Champions, Bullets).

Quote Originally Posted by Psileas
    Understood. As far as I know, you generally prefer players who did a little from everything than players who were excellent only in specific roles. I still don't know what Jovaisha is doing in this list, though.

Same thing. But each one, like Galis, had his own weaknesses. Giannakis at times was taking some out-of-logic shots and was a bit too emotional. Fassoulas was long, but a little raw offensively (didn't have a shot, couldn't dribble more than once and rarely passed).
    They all had weaknesses. I don't think that Greek team had very good players. They were a great, emotional team. Fasoulas actually was crap, but I like how goofy he looked on the court. Giannakis (also known as Yannakis... the Greek alphabet is strange...) was also funny looking with his nose 5 times the size if Manu Ginobili's. Wasn't a great player but a warrior, clutch, heart... and great from the distance. Like Christodoulu. Old times.

Iowaisha wasn't that good but... I don't know. Back then I liked funny looking players.

Quote Originally Posted by Psileas
    Kind of. But he was out of his prime. In 1979 he was voted player of the year and was pretty reliable.
    I was 5-6 years old in 1979 and didn't watch TV other than cartoons. I started watching basketball in 1980.

Do you know what happened to Tkatchenko later on? Sad story.

Do you know what happened to Tkatchenko later on? Sad story.
    If you imply that he died, you're probably wrong. I think you are mistaking him with Pankrashkin (not sure about the spelling) here, because they were both 7-footers and had a mustache. I think Pankrashkin died due to a disease (tuberculosis?).

They all had weaknesses. I don't think that Greek team had very good players. They were a great, emotional team. Fasoulas actually was crap, but I like how goofy he looked on the court. Giannakis (also known as Yannakis... the Greek alphabet is strange...) was also funny looking with his nose 5 times the size if Manu Ginobili's. Wasn't a great player but a warrior, clutch, heart... and great from the distance. Like Christodoulu. Old times.
    The Greek team lacked depth these days. These 4 guys were the only good players they had and it wasn't rare for them to play 40 minutes in multiple games. No bench though and no PF in general.
    Last edited by Psileas; 05-28-2007 at 03:28 PM.

He didn't die. Make a google search on him. You'll see pictures, too.