Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Deity ★ Persona Hoodlum Science's Avatar

Default American Pickers - Mike has been pissing me off, I'll explain why.

Is it just me, or does he:

Mike Wolfe ...

... says "god damn" countless times during any given random episode on American Pickers via History Channel (or at least I think he does). He seems like a harmless, spineless goof ball who'd never hurt a fly, most polite dude in the world, but I swear, I'm hearing him say "god damn" this ... "god damn" that when he's walking or stepping through old picking junk piles during the show.

At first I thought I was just trippin' but after awhile I picked up on it and yeah, dude just simply says GD over and over again and it's been pissing me off.

Anyone else notice this?

Also just a random question I've been wondering - is Mike Wolfe and the chick who runs the store - are they married? I'm assuming they're not, I just didn't know.
    Last edited by Hoodlum Science; 10-09-2013 at 11:41 PM.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

Default Re: American Pickers - Mike has been pissing me off, I'll explain why.

I've never noticed this

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
    I've never noticed this
    Well pay attention ... he says God "dang" it sometimes ... or God "something" here and there, but because on cable television "God damn" is simply uncensored, it's said many times during many different episodes you just have to pay attention.

I mean, he can be digging through random shit, climbing a ladder in some old bar or something, slip up or whatever and there you have it "God damn" this "god damn" that. I know it's not just me hearing things LOL. I don't think?

Never noticed but I don't watch shitty tv.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSilentKiller
    Never noticed but I don't watch shitty tv.
    I used to hate the show too, but it's pretty good.

   

i watched an episode of that, storage wars and the dale family show (american restoration?) recently. the items are always interesting, no doubt, but the personalities still have to work well and drive at least half the show IMO.

the pawn stars guys are hilarious, but most all the other people in these types of shows, including the other pawn-themed shows, just aren't very interesting... or are downright annoying.

my problem with antiques roadshow is that the items are mostly highbrow and the people are different from transaction to transaction. of course they are very nice, decent people, but that doesn't make for great TV.

I think Pawn Stars is unique in its specific genre b/c the main four (Old Man, Father and Son - can't recall their names? and Chum Lee) truly make the show what it is. IMO, if you replace those four with four other random folks, it could very likely sink the show, even with a carbon copy of exact production values, etc. They're just a very unique set of personalities that mix so well together it works perfectly - and they've been grandly successful b/c of it.

Look at Hardcore Pawn by comparison. The dad (owner) with the son and daughter are a trainwreck ... snoozefest, boring, whatever you wanna call it.

Get him a body bag! Patrick Chewing's Avatar

You know what really annoys me? How anti-social Frank is. That guy will rarely attempt to shake someone's hand unless they draw first.

I bet that van stinks and it's from him.

A
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
    You know what really annoys me? How anti-social Frank is. That guy will rarely attempt to shake someone's hand unless they draw first.

I bet that van stinks and it's from him.
    While we're on the subject of van trips. When I was maybe 15 or so, my younger brother 12 in the back, my mom in the passenger seat, and my cousin Shelly (back with us) maybe she was 14 or so in the back with me and my brother. It was a very long trip driving from Williamsburg VA back down to Winston-Salem NC on a rainy late afternoon - supposedly everyone is napping away, all parties in peaceful sleep with the exception of my father of course who was driving. I was barely somewhat awake but seemingly asleep right behind my dad's seat. I swear, dude was up in front of me jerkin. I mean, you can just tell by seat movement back and forth, right armrest shaking uncontrollably, etc... and to solidify I knew he was doing his dirty deed he ultimately reached into the glove box and pulled out some McDonald's napkins. Yeah, a pretty sick mental imagine thought from my childhood.

Ironically, my dad looks a lot like Mike from the American Pickers - with less hair of course.

Not airballing my layups anymore

The show like most of the other shows listed in this thread are highly staged. The locations and deals are pretty much completely predetermined. On American Pickers they know what they are going to find before the cameras start rolling. Same with Pawn Stars which know the exact item and price range the buyer will expect before filming. These shows are not the worst examples of faking reality tv. That honor goes to pretty much everything on Tru TV other than Bait Car.

Gentleman Desperado East_Stone_Ya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hoodlum Science
    A

While we're on the subject of van trips. When I was maybe 15 or so, my younger brother 12 in the back, my mom in the passenger seat, and my cousin Shelly (back with us) maybe she was 14 or so in the back with me and my brother. It was a very long trip driving from Williamsburg VA back down to Winston-Salem NC on a rainy late afternoon - supposedly everyone is napping away, all parties in peaceful sleep with the exception of my father of course who was driving. I was barely somewhat awake but seemingly asleep right behind my dad's seat. I swear, dude was up in front of me jerkin. I mean, you can just tell by seat movement back and forth, right armrest shaking uncontrollably, etc... and to solidify I knew he was doing his dirty deed he ultimately reached into the glove box and pulled out some McDonald's napkins. Yeah, a pretty sick mental imagine thought from my childhood.

Ironically, my dad looks a lot like Mike from the American Pickers - with less hair of course.

Quote Originally Posted by East_Stone_Ya

To OP: Mike isn't married to the not-so-pretty former burlesque dancer who runs the store.

   

Quote Originally Posted by RomeoLuvCasanova
    ... Same with Pawn Stars which know the exact item and price range the buyer will expect before filming. ...
    even so, the transactions are generally real transactions. they don

This is actually the only "reality show" I watch. I spent years as a kid going to swap meets and the like with my brother as step-dad, so it's got some nostalgic type stuff going for me with the old junk they find. I tried watching Pawn Stars once, but I didn't like it. The predatory nature of the show was a real turn-off, with people on there hocking possessions to pay bills, whereas AP is mostly them buying junk from people who have piles of it and half the time didn't even know they had the junk to begin with.

And no, Mike and the girl aren't married. They actually look like two dudes who'd be terrified to make a move on her.

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

are those two guys a couple?