National High School Star

Default Definitive ranks of best shooters

If this is simply about shooting it isn't even close.

I think it is only fair to use just postseason stats. That is when defenses really tighten up and it makes shooting that much harder. Reg season stats = many games of padded stats + many games that are anomalies (due to minutes played, blow outs, etc).

The only people in this conversation are Curry, Allen, Dirk, Durant, and Nash. They are the only ones with enough volume and accuracy over multiple years to be in the discussion (of the modern era, maybe Bird, but the game was too different back then).

I've taken out years where they play less than 29 mpg (so very old or very young, such as early Nash, or Miami Allen).

Averages (shooting only):
    *Effective field goal shows true fg, in the sense that tres are worth more than twos.

My ranks:
    1. Alpha Male Curry: 25.9 ppg on 45.1% fg, 42% threes, 86.6% ft, efg of 55.5%

2. Jesus: 18.2 ppg on 44.7% fg, 40.2% threes, 88.2% ft, efg of 53.46%

3. Steve Nash: 18.36 ppg on 47.6% fg, 41.31% threes, 90.4% ft, efg of 53.26%

4. Kevin Durant: 28.9 ppg on 46.2% fg, 34.1% threes, 83.9% ft, efg of 51.3%

5. Dirk Digler: 25.4 ppg on 46.1% fg, 36.5% threes, 89.1% ft, efg of 48.9%

Default Re: Definitive ranks of best shooters

Don't know if this is an agenda driven post or not, but that's a pretty poor and very narrow way to rank the best shooters.

Plus, any list that doesn't have Bird at least top5, loses its credibility...
    You want post-season play?
    How about...

-27.5 PPG on 52.4 FG%, 41.2% 3PT, 87.9% FT, eFG of 53.2%
    -25.9 PPG on 51.7 FG%, 41.1% 3PT, 92.7%, eFG of 55.1%

^That's while bringing the best all-around, overall play you can ask for. While leading his team to the title both times in an extremely stacked league. In a time with much more physicality permitted onto shooters. And he grew up without the 3pt-line, then played in a league where the shot wsn't emphasized as nowadys, not even remotely close (his %'s actually went higher as his attempts risen).

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Good breakdown OP. AMC clear cut number 1.

Quote Originally Posted by SHAQisGOAT
    Don't know if this is an agenda driven post or not, but that's a pretty poor and very narrow way to rank the best shooters.

Plus, any list that doesn't have Bird at least top5, loses its credibility...
    You want post-season play?
    How about...

-27.5 PPG on 52.4 FG%, 41.2% 3PT, 87.9% FT, eFG of 53.2%
    -25.9 PPG on 51.7 FG%, 41.1% 3PT, 92.7%, eFG of 55.1%

^That's while bringing the best all-around, overall play you can ask for. While leading his team to the title both times in an extremely stacked league. In a time with much more physicality permitted onto shooters. And he grew up without the 3pt-line, then played in a league where the shot wsn't emphasized as nowadys, not even remotely close (his %'s actually went higher as his attempts risen).
    27 ppg - 10% = 24 or 25 PPG. Pace was at least 10% faster in Bird's era leading to 10% more possessions leading to 10% more inflated stats.

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan
    27 ppg - 10% = 24 or 25 PPG. Pace was at least 10% faster in Bird's era leading to 10% more possessions leading to 10% more inflated stats.

Are you being serious right now, with that dumb-ass argument? This is basketball, not math... Think it's linear like that or something? Really?

You're telling me what? That Bird couldn't take around 19 shots per game, in today's era? Want me to tell you how many players have taken more than that, in recent times?
    10% difference in pace (which is even less for the Playoffs) is more than minimal, especially for a superstar like Bird...
    Also wanna tell me that a player of his status wouldn't go like 6 or more times per game to the FT line, right now? And I'd really love to see Bird getting shots off without the defender being able to even slightly graze him while he takes a jumper, no more J's with defenders holding his arm/jersey or scratching, no more being held by his jersey when moving off-ball, not nearly as many physicality at the rim... WOuld be fun to see Field day, son.

Prime Larry was getting his numbers regardless, as his team's pace fluctuated across the years...
    For example, he had his best regular-season scoring-wise in 1988 when the Celtics played at a slower pace than in the previous 5 seasons. Explain that? His best scoring series for the 1984 Playoffs, was the slower paced one, against the #1 defense tht year.
    In 1992, when he was 35 and ready to retire, after back and heels surgeries, playing through conditions most wouldn't go through, almost all mobility lost... Still was putting up 20/10/7 on 50.0% eFG, with the Celtics' average pace at 95.8.

Shit, check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=po1M--HaINA
    Larry was averaging pretty much the same, playing at today's pace... Plenty of other examples for other players can be brought up.

Now, please, gtfoh with those fallacies

I am your soldier!

Clearly Shaqisgoat can't read. I said Bird would be on this list but it only includes modern players because the game was so different back then.

Also, how is this narrow? The discussion revolves around greatest shooter, not best player. Accordingly, stuff like bounds, dimes, clutchness etc are not included. The reason the playoffs are more appropriate to use is because it is the only time every possession matters and defenses r giving it all they have.
    Last edited by sundizz; 05-26-2015 at 08:55 PM.

So one player scores 26 points with 90 possessions

Another player scores 26 points with 100 possessions

Which is harder to do?

It's just that simple

I am your soldier!

Quote Originally Posted by sundizz
    Clearly Shaqisgoat can't read. I said Bird would be on this list but it only includes modern players because the game was so different back then.
    Wasn't the point of the game still to throw the ball into the basket?

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
    Wasn't the point of the game still to throw the ball into the basket?
    Like i said i have no prob with including Bird on this list. Im not a fan of including players that i havent watched tho. highlights and random games don't really translate to an intimate knowledge of who that player was. From everything I've seen, read and heard Bird is def one of the best, if not best, shooters of all time.

I rule the local playground

Nash is number one

also a better career ORtg than Curry