Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Dahntay Jones tripped Kobe Bryant

Jones' shove on Kobe was a dirty play. Should have been ejected in my opinion. Made no attempt for the ball at all.

Made that high school varsity squad

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    Jones' shove on Kobe was a dirty play. Should have been ejected in my opinion. Made no attempt for the ball at all.
    Neither play was an attempt for the ball.

I hope he doesn't get suspended because he's not that good (sucks on defense too), I'd rather see more of him than JR Smith.

7-time NBA All-Star OneMoreSucka's Avatar

Default Re: 10 hours later and not one thread about Dahntay tripping Kobe

Quote Originally Posted by Mor'Fiyah
    Leaving your foot in place or even stepping into the path of another player and having their feet trip over yours is a little different than kicking out sideways (not an actual step to the side) to kick a player in the shins and send them to the ground. Want to bet money that the league tacks a flagrant on him?
    Again, you obviously haven't watched a nuggets game so I have no idea why you're still talking. I said, he has BLATANTLY tripped people. (For you since you are so incompetent, that means EXACTLY THE SAME WAY HE TRIPPED KOBE). It's a regular foul.

Holy ****, this is my last attempt. You people are ****ing awful to reason with.

Keep thinking "the lakers are just beating themselves" too....

Riddle me this, has Bruce Bowen ever been suspended for tripping someone?

Good High School Starter

Bruce Bowen does that tripping **** all the time and he didn't get called on it. Move on.

There's no talk whatsoever that he'd get suspended for simply tripping someone. It's not a consideration.

Quote Originally Posted by insidehoops
    There's no talk whatsoever that he'd get suspended for simply tripping someone. It's not a consideration.
    /thread!

NBA lottery pick

If Anthony Johnson deserved a tech for inadvertently elbowing Mo in the face, this deserves at least a tech, more so a flagrant 1.

Suspension? Rondo's swipe at the redneck and received no suspension. It's playoffs basketball chumps.

Quote Originally Posted by insidehoops
    Not hard to find. ESPN's Daily Dime already spoke about it...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailyd...ge=dime-090526
    "Additionally, guard Dahntay Jones added another notch to his growing rep as a dirty player by appearing to intentionally trip Bryant as he made a cut down the lane. There was no call on the play but he'll likely hear from the league office about it, with the likely outcome being an after-the-fact flagrant 1, but a suspension is also possible. (The league will also review Andrew Bynum's flagrant foul on Andersen, most likely to rescind it.)"

Local High School Star EllEffEll's Avatar

I can find nothing in the current rules that would allow for a technical foul to be called for Jones' play. I think a case could maybe be made for a Flagrant 1. A foul call was missed, one of the more obvious missed foul calls but just a missed foul call, not a tech as defined by the NBA's rules IMO.

Flag 2? Not even close. That would be way over the top in my opinion as they have to leave room for the really egregious stuff.

Here is my take on types of (non-technical) fouls (some fouls are more than one type):

1) pure basketball foul - going for the ball or trying to establish position, but not dirty, cheap, reckless, etc. Just contact that happens when trying to make plays.

2) cheap/dirty basketball foul - trying to disrupt an opponent's play by grabbing, tripping, running into, (etc.) the player, but not really going for the ball or having any chance whatsoever to establish position. But not really trying to injure or intimidate. Possibly, but not automatically Flag 1, could be Flag 2 only IF combined with #4.

3) carelessly/recklessly aggressive basketball foul - trying to play the ball or establish position, but done so with little to no regard for safety. Also Flag 1 type stuff, could be Flag 2 if done to extreme excess.

4) straight up dirty/cheap/aggressive foul - having little or nothing to do with basketball, but simply trying to intimidate or injure an opponent (Bowen laying out Wally being an excellent example IMHO). Fisher vs. Scola in Game 2 of the conf. semi's being a good example of this even if Fish tried to make it appear as a pick. Even if combined with other types of fouls, still Flag 2 territory. Could be a tech depending on how/when it is done.

I see Jone's "move" as #2 with a little of #3 thrown in for good measure as he lifted his foot and hooked KB's leg to make sure he didn't get away. He had no possibility of making a play on the ball and could not have possibly established position so it was a trip, plain and simple. Still a basketball play much like Melo holding Ariza in Game 3, but a little more dangerous. Less than honorable in my book, but not really trying to injure, just trying to make sure KB did not advance to the basket. Kobe's elbow to Artest's chest in Game 2 of the conf. semi's was the same type of move IMO.

I see Bynum's foul on Birdman as #3 if he did make contact with the head of Birdman and it appears he did (or at least his headband).

Both of last night's examples were still basketball fouls.
    Last edited by EllEffEll; 05-26-2009 at 12:09 PM.

In addition... when the league looks at his past transgressions with the push on Bryant going for the dunk and this as well in last night's game:

Yeah. I think Jones is in trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by EllEffEll
    I can find nothing in the current rules that would allow for a technical foul to be called for Jone's play. I think a case could maybe be made for a Flagrant 1. A foul call was missed, one of the more obvious missed foul calls but just a missed foul call, not a tech as defined by the NBA's rules IMO.

Flag 2? Not even close. That would be way over the top in my opinion as they have to leave room for the really egregious stuff.

Here is my take on types of (non-technical) fouls (some fouls are more than one type):

1) pure basketball foul - going for the ball or trying to establish position, but not dirty, cheap, reckless, etc. Just contact that happens when trying to make plays.

2) cheap/dirty basketball foul - trying to disrupt an opponent's play by grabbing, tripping, running into, (etc.) the player, but not really going for the ball or having any chance whatsoever to establish position. But not really trying to injure or intimidate. Possibly, but not automatically Flag 1, could be Flag 2 only IF combined with #4.

3) carelessly/recklessly aggressive basketball foul - trying to play the ball or establish position, but done so with little to no regard for safety. Also Flag 1 type stuff, could be Flag 2 if done to extreme excess.

4) straight up dirty/cheap/aggressive foul - having little or nothing to do with basketball, but simply trying to intimidate or injure an opponent (Bowen laying out Wally being an excellent example IMHO). Fisher vs. Scola in Game 2 of the conf. semi's being a good example of this even if Fish tried to make it appear as a pick. Even if combined with other types of fouls, still Flag 2 territory. Could be a tech depending on how/when it is done.

I see Jone's "move" as #2 with a little of #3 thrown in for good measure as he lifted his foot and hooked KB's leg to make sure he didn't get away. He had no possibility of making a play on the ball and could not have possibly established position so it was a trip, plain and simple. Still a basketball play much like Melo holding Ariza in Game 3, but a little more dangerous. Less than honorable in my book, but not really trying to injure, just trying to make sure KB did not advance to the basket. Kobe's elbow to Artest's chest in Game 2 of the conf. semi's was the same type of move IMO.

I see Bynum's foul on Birdman as #3 if he did make contact with the head of Birdman and it appears he did (or at least his headband).

Both of last night's examples were still basketball fouls.
    Good summary and I agree to an extent. What I think you are missing in the case of Jones is his past transgressions and already being warned by the league, and the follow through with his legs. It doesn't just look like a trip as much as it looks like a kick. But we will see what the league does. I am almost certain it will get upgraded.

Magic Johnson

the only thing that matters is dahntay jones pissed kobe off. i wouldn't be surprised to see kobe go for 45 wednesday night.

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    This happened to me just last night at ball. Ref called nothing too.

Simply said to me, he was standing his ground and it's not a foul. I'm like, I have to have somewhere to land, and he is not standing his ground if he is stepping into the spot where I'm about to land.
    Yeah I've heard something similar by a ref too once. I told him the same thing you did and that even if he was standing his ground we started out running and his intention was to run to a spot so he had no intention of playing D or making a play at the ball, but rather getting to a spot; to me that's a violation of the rules. We argued for a bit during the following time out and he persisted saying that he had 20 years of reffing, etc. I got T'd up cause I told him, "Reffing basketball doesn't mean you understand it. Playing it does." Coach benched me for the rest of the game. It's one of few techs I've ever gotten in all my years of playing rec/hs basketball.