Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default getting posterized vs getting stuffed on a dunk attempt

Which is more embarassing? assuming that medias doesnt exist of course.

NBA Superstar

Default Re: getting posterized vs getting stuffed on a dunk attempt

Getting posterized. I didn't like when I missed a dunk attempt or had it blocked, but I'd prefer that any day or getting crammed upon.

And yes, both situations are actual noble causes. The attacking dunker deserves props for trying to go hard while the posterized defender deserves credit for putting himself on the line and trying to make a play (as opposed to just allowing a dunk to happen). Still, I'd much rather have my dunk blocked. It seems no one really remembers the latter. Alton Lister is a name we all know for one reason. But on the other side, do we remember who LaPhonso Ellis blocked on that one hand rip?

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    Getting posterized. I didn't like when I missed a dunk attempt or had it blocked, but I'd prefer that any day or getting crammed upon.

And yes, both situations are actual noble causes. The attacking dunker deserves props for trying to go hard while the posterized defender deserves credit for putting himself on the line and trying to make a play (as opposed to just allowing a dunk to happen). Still, I'd much rather have my dunk blocked. It seems no one really remembers the latter. Alton Lister is a name we all know for one reason. But on the other side, do we remember who LaPhonso Ellis blocked on that one hand rip?
    I'm not old enough to have seen it live but I know exactly what you're talking about. JaVale McGee had an identical play, shit was nasty.

OT, I think I'd rather get dunked on. Its way more rare to have your dunk blocked because of the timing and positioning needed to do it. Even worse if it gets blocked straight up as opposed to from the side or behind. Unless I get tea-bagged or end up out of bounds, I don't see getting jammed on as that embarrassing.

Slam dunk is practically a guaranteed basket so getting your slam blocked is much more embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by dunksby
    Slam dunk is practically a guaranteed basket so getting your slam blocked is much more embarrassing.
    that was why i think made this more fair, simply because of how rare it is to get blocked on a dunk attempt. having someones nuts in your face doesnt sound nice though?
    I specifically included the media part because you dont really get posters for blocking the shit out of someone.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Random_Guy
    that was why i think made this more fair, simply because of how rare it is to get blocked on a dunk attempt. having someones nuts in your face doesnt sound nice though?
    I specifically included the media part because you dont really get posters for blocking the shit out of someone.
    Blocked dunks happen a lot more than we think, they're just not always on the JaVale McGee/LaPhonso Ellis level. And I still maintain, over years of playing, getting dunked on has resonated way, way more than getting a dunk blocked. Getting a dunk blocked tends to at least yield a "Ohhh! He was about to rise up and put it on him!" Whereas getting dunked on usually does not offer much consolation beyond "Welp, at least maybe he tried? Still got demoralized though."

It all depends on a lot of factors though. Just in terms of mass reception, I've most often seen it work out like this:

Dunk block: Dunker gets respect for going hard and attempting to dunk on a face, shot blocker gets respect for making the play

Poster: Dunker gets extraordinary amount of respect for completing something so supposedly disrespectful, defender gets wildly disrespected - aside from small pocket of quiet minority who appreciate the attempt

Local High School Star

everybody remembers the poster dunk . not enough credit given too those willing to try a block attempt.

There's an emotional connection when you posterize somebody. No matter how many times you have done it, you can pretty much remember them all. The very first time I posterized somebody, hell I can still remember sounds and smells from the gym. I remember some of the people on the sidelines watching. This was like back in 96.

A blocked dunk is cool and all, but really it's not spectacular. It's a common play in basketball. Unless you're around a bunch of cats that can't make it to rim level. Plus you really don't have time to celebrate after a block because the opponent might get the ball. You gotta keep it moving.

It's called a poster for a reason

you didn't have a poster of a blocked dunk on your wall in the 90s...

NBA sixth man of the year

Id say getting dunked on easily...

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe
    It's called a poster for a reason

you didn't have a poster of a blocked dunk on your wall in the 90s...
    Point taken. Though, as a youth in the 90's, I actually had a big cutout on my wall of David Robinson blocking a Grant Hill dunk at its apex.

This one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frsB1plMayw

The only thing more embarassing than getting dunked on is getting your ankles broken

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    Point taken. Though, as a youth in the 90's, I actually had a big cutout on my wall of David Robinson blocking a Grant Hill dunk at its apex.

This one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frsB1plMayw
    Yep it depends on your mentality and the way you play the game, from a spectator POV a posterization is more pleasing since it results in a bucket. A block doesn't count as a basket so fans don't appreciate it as much, I have to emphasize that blocking a potential poster is much harder than posterizing someone.

National High School Star

Put it this way, every man and their child knows the Pippen dunk on Ewing.

Now if Ewing did block it, it would be another block, it will fade into obscurity much like Noel's block on Harden will in the coming weeks/days.

But he didn't, he got dunked on, and now everyone knows it, has seen it, and it's up there as one of the greatest facial dunks ever.

VC over that French dude is still my fav dunk of all time though.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by dunksby
    I have to emphasize that blocking a potential poster is much harder than posterizing someone.
    I think that largely depends upon the parties involved. Perhaps that is true for absolute high-flyers but for the "need-every-inch-of-elevation-to-dunk" crowd, I am not sure that's so.

Quote Originally Posted by Ai2death
    Put it this way, every man and their child knows the Pippen dunk on Ewing.

Now if Ewing did block it, it would be another block, it will fade into obscurity much like Noel's block on Harden will in the coming weeks/days.

But he didn't, he got dunked on, and now everyone knows it, has seen it, and it's up there as one of the greatest facial dunks ever.

VC over that French dude is still my fav dunk of all time though.
    Good point. Speaking of Vince Carter, when discussing his famous poster over Dikembe Mutombo, VC's been on record as saying that Deke had probably blocked his dunks 5 or 6 times before that (which is up for debate, since that was Carter's rookie year). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b25smJXIqrk

Still, I think it's safe to assume Deke got the best of Carter a lot, but we just don't remember them like we do the posters.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 11-04-2014 at 06:02 PM.