Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Kobe just dropped 28 effortlessly in the 4th game in 5 night

But he lost for the fourth game in 5 nights.

And he got lit up for 41.

Kobe da GAWD is nothing more than Nick Young at this point.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei89
    And he got lit up for 41.

Kobe da GAWD is nothing more than Nick Young at this point.
    kobe nothing but an old dawg chucker hahahaha

College superstar

I know that it's Kobe, so he will be hated on regardless, but consider...
    Rose has not played in two years.
    Kobe has not played in one year.
    Rose is young.
    Kobe is old.
    Expectations for Kobe are sky-high.
    Expectations for Rose are low/comical.

1) It's been just a week. Let's all calm down.
    2) Why is old Kobe held to a higher standard than a prime-age former MVP/
    3) In both cases, let them work through the rust.
    4) The simple fact that Kobe gets hated for scoring "only" 28 points on 28 shots shows how great he once was, and how dangerous he still is.

Our god? No, I'm not that kinda guy. But he's a top 10-15 historical talent, no question, and he's still good enough to do damage when damage needs to be done.

honestly, i was expecting him to walk with a crutch at this point.

so i'm impressed

go Kobe! get that scoring record!

Good college starter SwayDizzle's Avatar

by the 10th game, Kobe will be in form, same as the rest of the team. Kobe hasn't played in a year, give him time to adjust. the game evolves on its own

empty stats

amiright?

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

I'm wondering if how Kobe plays is almost irrelevant to the Lakers winning many games this year.

It would be relevant if he wasn't so ball dominant and picked his spots, but the style he plays might not just have a big impact.

Last night he was absolutely dreadful in the first half by any measure. Think he was 3-10 with 4 turnovers and a couple missed free throws...

Lakers were down 6 at half.

Then he does what he does in the 2nd half and they get blown out.

I just don't think Kobe can be efficient enough to make Kobe ball work anymore...certainly not with his teammates...and certainly not with how super efficient other teams and superstars have become. And he certainly can't take 28 shots and make a positive impact on defense like we saw last night.

Kobe ball was far better back pre 2006 actually...when the rules weren't so easy for everyone to score efficiently. Now? The difference between how guys like Harden, Curry, Paul, Durant, Lebron...etc. score compared to Kobe is likely going to be too big of a gap for Kobe's scoring to matter.

It's a shame because on a quality team like a lot of the other stars now currently have...Kobe could be perhaps the most dangerous player in the league (if...and it's a big IF...he played the right way)

It's kind of meh for me...I love watching it, but the rules are just such a joke now that I think talented offensive players can get 25 plus points pretty easily on bad teams taking 25 shots a game. Fun to watch when they get hot, but that's about it.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

I watched that second half with 3 Kobe fans and another bulls fan. 2 of the Laker fans were ready for Kobe to retire by the end...the other is all about Kobe so he defended him. He loves Kobe and Lin...

The other 2 were fed up with the shot selection.

And it was pretty bad. Dude taking pullup threes for no reason, losing the ball on the way up in traffic, and fading away over 2-3 defenders like he doesnt know any better.

That wasnt some great game. It was Kobe making some tough shots for a moment. But you wouldnt want anyone to go play that way on a regular basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    I watched that second half with 3 Kobe fans and another bulls fan. 2 of the Laker fans were ready for Kobe to retire by the end...the other is all about Kobe so he defended him. He loves Kobe and Lin...

The other 2 were fed up with the shot selection.

And it was pretty bad. Dude taking pullup threes for no reason, losing the ball on the way up in traffic, and fading away over 2-3 defenders like he doesnt know any better.

That wasnt some great game. It was Kobe making some tough shots for a moment. But you wouldnt want anyone to go play that way on a regular basis.
    Exactly.

You play the games like that all year. And it's going to be roughly 25 points on like 49 to 51 percent true shooting and that will lead to getting the absolute least out of teammates because they'll just have no idea when he's going to pass.

The Lakers aren't good obviously, but they aren't this bad. They could be competitive once they get some chemistry...but Kobe has to take a step back a bit for that to happen.

Also, the defense has just been horrendous with Kobe out there so far. Now, it's obviously a small sample...but just to give in an insight into the Lakers defense with Kobe on the court right now:

Kobe on the court drtg? 132.7
    Kobe off the court drtg? 100.0
    Last edited by DMAVS41; 11-02-2014 at 10:15 AM.

There's nothing to analyze anymore. The guy's played the 4th most minutes ever coming off of a fractured knee and torn achilles playing with a garbage roster. He'll have some cool vintage moments, but he will be disappointing overall this year. Appreciate the moments like the 3rd quarter instead of trashing him overall. It's like when people shit on Wiz MJ for being the most inefficient scorer or something. Dude was old as hell.. appreciate the games he went off

Quote Originally Posted by chazzy
    There's nothing to analyze anymore. The guy's played the 4th most minutes ever coming off of a fractured knee and torn achilles playing with a garbage roster. He'll have some cool vintage moments, but he will be disappointing overall this year. Appreciate the moments like the 3rd quarter instead of trashing him overall. It's like when people shit on Wiz MJ for being the most inefficient scorer or something. Dude was old as hell.. appreciate the games he went off
    I don't quite agree. I definitely think it's fun to watch, but Wizards MJ was actually older and played in the toughest defensive era perhaps ever in the NBA.

The apt comparison is that both of their help sucks.

Kobe looks healthier and has a bit more bounce to him at least so far...but more importantly, is playing in a softer era. Current Kobe is more athletic and just a better basketball player (maybe in large part because of the rules now...but that doesn't matter).

If Kobe was on a legit team he and he played smart...he could still easily be one of the better players in the league and probably the most dangerous guy in the league because of what he can do like he did in the 3rd qtr last night.

Put him in that Duncan or Dirk role (assuming the Mavs stay healthy and don't require a lot from Dirk) and he could flourish in a big way if he played the right way.

But that is the thing with Kobe. The Lakers could have definitely had a strong team, but Kobe didn't want to just become part of the team. He wanted to be "the guy" as usual and if winning is really what drives him...then he should be kicking himself for driving away the best big man in the game to a conference opponent. The Lakers had it all lined up for him (as usual) and he just couldn't or didn't care to try to make it work. And that's on him....

So when I see him out there looking at teammates and getting frustrated...it's just kind of funny to me. He made his own bed here way more than most players ever do.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    If Kobe was on a legit team he and he played smart...he could still easily be one of the better players in the league and probably the most dangerous guy in the league because of what he can do like he did in the 3rd qtr last night.

Put him in that Duncan or Dirk role (assuming the Mavs stay healthy and don't require a lot from Dirk) and he could flourish in a big way if he played the right way.
    you are asking kobe to be something he is NOT nor ever will be. guy is the antithesis of TEAM.

dating back to the laker championship runs, his teams had games they won in spite of kobe (below average elimination player- going 6-24 in game 7, missing tons of clutch shots in orlando e.g. the finals). playing WITHIN the team isn't in his dna - which is why phil jackson has been quoted saying kobe would NOT age gracefully.

the more his athleticism declines, the worse the shot selection.

a part of me feels bad for laker fans.
    Last edited by mehyaM24; 11-02-2014 at 11:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    But that is the thing with Kobe. The Lakers could have definitely had a strong team, but Kobe didn't want to just become part of the team. He wanted to be "the guy" as usual and if winning is really what drives him...then he should be kicking himself for driving away the best big man in the game to a conference opponent. The Lakers had it all lined up for him (as usual) and he just couldn't or didn't care to try to make it work. And that's on him....

So when I see him out there looking at teammates and getting frustrated...it's just kind of funny to me. He made his own bed here way more than most players ever do.
    I see you're running with that Abbott article. I've been saying it over and over, but the biggest thing there is to blame is Kobe's achilles injury and the coaching situationi. Why would Dwight sign 5 years of his career to a team whose coach who didn't use him right and best player just had the worst injury you can have? It wasn't some huge shock Dwight left. Even if Kobe was the perfect teammate/personality, there's no way to sugarcoat that situation. That's why it's funny to me when people make such a big deal about the Lakers not signing big names. They only had cap space for 2 years during the worst stretch of their franchise history in a while - big shocker that they didn't get anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by chazzy
    Kobe fans are weird. As long as he provides you with a few sick highlights a game, all of his other bad plays are excused.