Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Planning an America trip...

Quote Originally Posted by plowking
    Thanks, I completely forgot about Montreal, and the original plan was to actually do a road trip down the east coast. The Vancouver visit it simply to see a friend more than anything, but I would have visited anyway. Have heard good things.
    You live in Montreal macmac? I think I remember talking to you about coming up there and gambling at one point.

Miami is a must visit, and long stay for me simply because of the Heat. Want to be able to at least see the big 3 play live. Glad my trip coincides with a decent time for the Heat and not like it was back in 08...

New Orleans sounds nice then from what you and niko say. I'm a tourist so I won't be straying too far from the typical stuff. I think the Orlando thing is simply for theme parks, since my friends and I are all in our early to mid 20's.
    Plus the women in Orlando and Miami are more suited to my taste.

Austin over Houston? Fair enough. I probably won't have time to see all of Texas, as much as I'd want to, so I want to have the best experience possible there. Would like to see the input of other posters too in terms of Dallas, Austin and Houston.

i'm done with this thread... worst logic ever. and btw, sticking with 'typical stuff' makes you a dumb tourist.
    Last edited by StocktonFan; 05-14-2013 at 06:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by StocktonFan

i'm done with this thread... worst logic ever. and btw, sticking with 'typical stuff' makes you a dumb tourist.
    You're an idiot, in New Orleans if you stray from the "tourist stuff" you're liable to get mugged and beaten up. Not every place in the world is a place you can wander with impunity and be ok.

And he's a Heat fan, a Heat fan should not go to a Heat game?

I couldnt help but notice you left the greatest city in America off your list.

Give us some details:

- How long is your total trip to America?
    - Where are you flying in from?
    - When will you be in U.S. exactly? summer months? what is your arrival and departure date?
    - What do you like to do? What are the most important places you want to go to?
    - Are you looking to sightsee? Or have fun? Or do adventurous activities? Or party? What is most important......
    - You like cold weather? warm weather? doesn't matter?
    - How do you want to get from place to place? Will you rent a car? Will you be flying from place to place? Train?
    - How much money do you have? Will you stay in hotels? motels? campsites? staying with people you know?
    - Do you like hustle and bustle of cities? Do you like peace and quiet? Do you like nature/parks?

Saying "I want to come U.S. Tell me what to see." It's way too broad. U.S. is huge country. It will take some planning if you want/need to do things all over the country.....saying "I want to see L.A., NY, Vegas, DisneyWorld, Mount Rushmore...etc." is kinda crazy, because they are all over the place......unless you are coming to U.S. for a long time.

Last edited by bagelred; 05-14-2013 at 07:50 AM.

______________________ Balla_Status's Avatar

Since you're coming from Australia, LA makes the most sense to be your first spot. Don't know much about LA. I've only driven through there and worked there for a day and I thought it was pretty shit but I'm sure there are some good touristy things to do.

Honestly dude, I'd rent a car and do something like this.

LA to Las Vegas to Grand Canyon

And then from there you can go to Moab, UT if you want to do some sweet hiking/exploring. Or Durango, CO for a similar outdoorsy experience.

If you don't care THAT much for outdoors, I'd go from the Grand Canyon and just drive straight to Austin, TX. It'll take a couple days.

Austin to Houston to New Orleans

You could even go from the Grand Canyon, AZ to Denver, CO and THEN head to Austin, TX and carry on.

From there, again it gets tricky. Around what time will you be going? Maybe you could head over to Tuscaloosa, Alabama and check out a college football game. Some people will object but it'll be a great experience. Real people having real fun. No fake uppity people like you might see in some NE and popular tourist cities.

If you decide against that, then do this:

Orlando to Miami...Drop off the rental car and fly to NY. Hit up Jersey and Boston and then call it a trip and head back to Australia.

The time you spend in each city depends on you but make sure to map out your drives so you can space out how many days it takes to drive from city to city.

You can do most within a day but the big ones take at least a couple days (driving to Austin, NO to Orlando).

______________________ Balla_Status's Avatar

Oh and plowking, you need to show me how to get around the Valley on the weekend. I can see good times to be had. Too much Pig n' Whistle and Eagle street pier lately.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    You're an idiot, in New Orleans if you stray from the "tourist stuff" you're liable to get mugged and beaten up. Not every place in the world is a place you can wander with impunity and be ok.

And he's a Heat fan, a Heat fan should not go to a Heat game?

didnt realize you're a bitch, okay cool. I enjoy watching the knicks, but if i visit NYC, i'm not spending my time at a game... definetly not if i am coming from out of country, specially when considering a country 3,000 miles wide has yet to be explored.

didnt realize you're a bitch, okay cool. I enjoy watching the knicks, but if i visit NYC, i'm not spending my time at a game... definetly not if i am coming from out of country, specially when considering a country 3,000 miles wide has yet to be explored.
    Every place you go in the world can't be explored like a local. Not sure if you're naive or just stupid. And telling a person who enjoys watching NBA games, who lives in another country, he cannot go and experience one while there is just stupid. He's a Heat fan in another country who loves the NBA. When i go to England you better be damn sure i'm going to go see a soccer game.

Quote Originally Posted by Balla_Status
    Oh and plowking, you need to show me how to get around the Valley on the weekend. I can see good times to be had. Too much Pig n' Whistle and Eagle street pier lately.
    Sounds good mate.
    Haha, I only hit the Pig when a sports event is on during the weekend.
    We'll definitely hit up the Valley sometime, I'll PM you soon. Just have to work it around my study time since I have exams coming up soon.

Quote Originally Posted by bagelred
    Give us some details:

- How long is your total trip to America?
    1.5 months.

- Where are you flying in from?
    Landing in LA. Maybe you can give me an example itinerary?

- When will you be in U.S. exactly? summer months? what is your arrival and departure date?
    Landing over there around the 15th of December.

- What do you like to do? What are the most important places you want to go to?
    Obviously into sports. Hate baseball, but even that would be something I want to experience. Like to sight see and learn some history about the country.

- Are you looking to sightsee? Or have fun? Or do adventurous activities? Or party? What is most important......
    I'd say partying is a big deal. We're young, in our early 20's. Seeing as much as possible is also a big deal, since the partying can be left for the night.

- You like cold weather? warm weather? doesn't matter?
    Doesn't matter to me

- How do you want to get from place to place? Will you rent a car? Will you be flying from place to place? Train?
    Not sure on this one. The only thing I know is we're flying from LA to NY.

- How much money do you have? Will you stay in hotels? motels? campsites? staying with people you know?
    About 10 grand for 1.5 months. Is this enough to have a decent time? Especially since accommodation will be split between 4 people.

- Do you like hustle and bustle of cities? Do you like peace and quiet? Do you like nature/parks?
    I really just want to experience the best of what is, though to be honest I do like the appeal of New York, LA, Miami, Texas, etc. Just getting the feel for what each city is like in different areas.

Hope this helps. Also is 10 grand enough for such a trip?

Quote Originally Posted by Balla_Status
    Since you're coming from Australia, LA makes the most sense to be your first spot. Don't know much about LA. I've only driven through there and worked there for a day and I thought it was pretty shit but I'm sure there are some good touristy things to do.

Honestly dude, I'd rent a car and do something like this.

LA to Las Vegas to Grand Canyon

And then from there you can go to Moab, UT if you want to do some sweet hiking/exploring. Or Durango, CO for a similar outdoorsy experience.

If you don't care THAT much for outdoors, I'd go from the Grand Canyon and just drive straight to Austin, TX. It'll take a couple days.

Austin to Houston to New Orleans

You could even go from the Grand Canyon, AZ to Denver, CO and THEN head to Austin, TX and carry on.

From there, again it gets tricky. Around what time will you be going? Maybe you could head over to Tuscaloosa, Alabama and check out a college football game. Some people will object but it'll be a great experience. Real people having real fun. No fake uppity people like you might see in some NE and popular tourist cities.

If you decide against that, then do this:

Orlando to Miami...Drop off the rental car and fly to NY. Hit up Jersey and Boston and then call it a trip and head back to Australia.

The time you spend in each city depends on you but make sure to map out your drives so you can space out how many days it takes to drive from city to city.

You can do most within a day but the big ones take at least a couple days (driving to Austin, NO to Orlando).
    I quite like this type of idea. That's a decent itinerary of what I'm kind of looking to do. Rent a car here and there to get to certain places.
    The plan was for Christmas and New Years in New York, but I'm not too fussed if Christmas isn't spent there, so no biggie.
    Anyone experience either in New York and can comment for which occasion is it better to be around?

Local High School Star PHX_Phan's Avatar

Anyone experience either in New York and can comment for which occasion is it better to be around?
    Christmas time in NYC is an awesome experience. My family used to go almost every year. I'd probably choose there during Christmas over any other state at any other time of the year.

We never stuck around for New Years, but I'm sure that's great as well.

I did the Times Square thing at New Years when i was young and stupid (as opposed to old and stupid). It was insane. Had a good time but I would never go there at New Years again. Christmas, like PHX said is a great time to be there.

You're a complete fukkin moron. The guy wants to go on vacation and you're done with this thread because he doesn't go where you want him to?

I hope you get mugged in the streets and soil yourself.

College star

Hope this helps. Also is 10 grand enough for such a trip?
    I spent 6 weeks in the US last year, rented a car from Detroit via Chicago, Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, Denver back to Detroit with 2 friends. Spent the nights at couchsurfers and campsites and spent less than 3 grand including the flight from Europe. Cooking our own meals and dining out was 50/50.

10 grand should be more than enough unless you want to stay in expensive hotels.
    I can only recommend couchsurfing again. Most hosts we stayed at were incredibly friendly, showed us around and at times even gave us keys to their home so we could come back late at night. In Denver we stayed with a couple of college students near downtown.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by macmac
    You're a complete fukkin moron. The guy wants to go on vacation and you're done with this thread because he doesn't go where you want him to?

I hope you get mugged in the streets and soil yourself.
    Hope he dies