Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    5-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Who was tha worst season MVP ever?

Quote Originally Posted by ISHGoat
    Derrick Rose by far. Has there ever been an MVP who barely plays the next three seasons or whatever, and is on the fringe of retirement?
    This is your mind as a clueless hater. You obviously have no clue on how MVP works.

Tolerant Liberals

Look at DRose's stats that yr, then look at Westbrook's.

Local High School Star

Nash is probably the worst MVP in the past 25-30 years. Dude put up Deron Williams numbers, while playing lousy defense, and somehow won two MVPs.

His MVPs are a joke and should not be respected, imo.

Nash's MVPs are well-deserved. he took that Suns team and made it into a contender.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by midatlantic09
    Nash is probably the worst MVP in the past 25-30 years. Dude put up Deron Williams numbers, while playing lousy defense, and somehow won two MVPs.

His MVPs are a joke and should not be respected, imo.
    Do you not understand how MVP works? Most valuable player =/= best player.

Phoenix won 62 games in 2004-2005 (best record in the league) and 54 in 2005-2006 (3rd best record). He was deemed most valuable player for his role in their records, plus his shooting numbers were amazing (50-40-90 in 2005-2006, missed it on FTs in 2004-2005 by 1.3%). It's the same reason Derrick Rose won, if you're going to criticize Nash for value > production then that has to be extended to all years where the best player didn't win.

Shaq > Nash in 2005. Better player and more valuable.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Prime_Shaq
    Shaq > Nash in 2005. Better player and more valuable.
    It may have gone to Nash due to the change in Phoenix's record from 2003-2004 to 2004-2005. The season before Nash got there Phoenix went 29-53; his first year saw them go 62-20. Shaq added 17 wins to Miami (42-40 => 59-23) compared to Nash's 33. I'm not saying that Nash getting it was necessarily justified but there's clearly an argument to be made about how much Nash contributed.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Real14
    knicks fan since 93-94 dummy.
    So you are a grown man?

Wow, just, wow.

jordan > leflop james Paul George 24's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Real14
    There's many former season MVPs who didn't deserve their award like 06 Nash
    12 bronna, and 13 bronna. I want to know which season MVP was the worst MVP who didn't deserve it mainly due to their poor team record and team's place in their conference. I thought of this because of tha a.d23 and Questbrook MVP talks. Who was the worst that actually won it with team that wasn't that good?
    LEBRON JAMES

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by 24-Inch_Chrome
    Do you not understand how MVP works? Most valuable player =/= best player.
    Which never made sense to me. How can one be the most valuable player in the league, but not even be a top 5 player? The "best player" should objectively, in theory, be the most valuable player simply because the best player would likely give ANY team they go to the largest boost when compared to the boost other players would have on any team they go to. For example, I'm pretty sure there were at least 3 other players in the NBA in 04/05 and 05/06 that would have made a larger impact on the Suns than Nash did (Kobe, Lebron, Dirk, possibly Shaq, Tim Duncan, KG, etc). Nash was simply a guy in the right place at the right time and cashed in on the situation.

That said, the entire definition of "MVP" needs to be redefined.
    Last edited by midatlantic09; 03-10-2015 at 02:16 PM.

Banned

Kobe, Rose, Durant

Take your pick

Wes Unseld in 68/69 won an MVP averaging 13.8 points a game, as a rookie. Imagine anyone in the modern era winning an MVP on only 13.8 ppg. And his FG% was only 47.6, for a center.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ISHGoat
    Derrick Rose by far. Has there ever been an MVP who barely plays the next three seasons or whatever, and is on the fringe of retirement?
    Yes. Bill Walton.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by dubeta
    Kobe, Rose, Durant

Take your pick

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by midatlantic09
    Which never made sense to me. How can one be the most valuable player in the league, but not even be a top 5 player? The "best player" should objectively, in theory, be the most valuable player simply because the best player would likely give ANY team they go to the largest boost when compared to the boost other players would have on any team they go to. For example, I'm pretty sure there were at least 3 other players in the NBA in 04/05 and 05/06 that would have made a larger impact on the Suns than Nash did (Kobe, Dirk, Shaq, Chris Paul, Tim Duncan, KG, etc).

That said, the entire definition of "MVP" needs to be redefined.
    I agree with you on the first point, I wish the MVP went to the best player. Unfortunately it doesn't, so we've gotta take impact into account when determining the legitimacy of an MVP. Some of those players may well have had a bigger impact on the Suns that season, but it ended up being Nash and not any of them that was seen as the key to increasing the Suns' win total by 33 in the span of a season (referring to the 2004-2005 season).

I'll add that value, which generally translates to team success, is becoming a larger part of the MVP discussion across multiple sports. Mike Trout missed 2 MVPs in MLB and JJ Watt didn't win MVP this year in the NFL despite them being the individual best players in the respective seasons, all because their teams didn't do well.