Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    I rule the local playground

Default Who was the consensus "best Big man"in the late 80s-mid90s?

Hakeem, Malone, Barkley, Robinson, Ewing, Shaq

It's crazy how quality the Big men were back then. I'm too young to know, but who was the undeniable Number 1?

Default Re: Who was the consensus "best Big man"in the late 80s-mid90s?

Quote Originally Posted by theoneneo
    Hakeem, Malone, Barkley, Robinson, Ewing, Shaq

It's crazy how quality the Big men were back then. I'm too young to know, but who was the undeniable Number 1?
    There wasn't a consensus.

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

Some Great Competition Compared To Today`s Big Men.

Charles Barkley was considered the Best PF in the late 80s and early-mids 90s till about the 1994-95 season. Then Karl Malone took over in the mid-late 90s as the Best PF. Hakeem was considered the Best C by most till about 1994-95. Although, many had David Robinson as the best (defensively maybe) but i was one of the fans that knew he would get destroyed in the play-offs on offense. Ewing was considered the third best big men till about 1994-95, then after that, Shaq took over.

Mutombo was pretty big too.
    I remember kids at school with his shoes and stuff.

If i had to pick one i'd say maybe Hakeem, but they were all respected for what they were, things were different back then, pre internet and all that hahah

Quote Originally Posted by Round Mound

Charles Barkley was considered the Best PF in the late 80s and early-mids 90s till about the 1994-95 season. Then Karl Malone took over in the mid-late 90s as the Best PF. Hakeem was considered the Best C by most till about 1994-95. Although, many had David Robinson as the best (defensively maybe) but i was one of the fans that knew he would get destroyed in the play-offs on offense. Ewing was considered the third best big men till about 1994-95, then after that, Shaq took over.
    Barkley wasn't really thought of as strictly a power forward until he went to the Suns. He played mostly small forward on the Sixers.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySic
    Barkley wasn't really thought of as strictly a power forward until he went to the Suns. He played mostly small forward on the Sixers.
    and wasn't considered a big. When someone says "big man" I'm thinking Center.

Ewing IMO had the best shot/range out of the bigs listed in OP
    Last edited by Hey Yo; 03-10-2015 at 07:13 PM.

Ewing was probably considered the best big man until about 1990 because Hakeem was buried on bad teams and overlooked and Robinson had just arrived. But Ewing was never really the best.

Ewing was probably considered the best big man until about 1990 because Hakeem was buried on bad teams and overlooked and Robinson had just arrived. But Ewing was never really the best.
    Plus overlooked because Sampson was there playing underneath more than Hakeem.

Once Ralph left, Hakeem got to work on and showcase his in game skills more.

Hakeem was definitely more agile and athletic than Ewing

Charles Barkley, the 6 foot 4 inches and change big man. Funny to see him labelled a "big".

Quote Originally Posted by FKAri
    Charles Barkley, the 6 foot 4 inches and change big man. Funny to see him labelled a "big".
    He played big.

Quote Originally Posted by FKAri
    Have you watched Barkley play? Barkley plays bigger than almost any big today.

Barkley was a ****ing beast. It was a thing of beauty watching him block opposing center's dunk attempts right at the rim. I know he wasn't known for defense at all, but he could time those blocks with the best of them. Just wasn't much he could do overall being at such a height disadvantage.

Barkley was one of my favorite players back in the day. He was once asked why he was such a good rebounder and he simply replied, "I wanted it more than anyone else."

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

He played SF from 89 to 91 thats it. The rest of his career he played at the 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Round Mound

This.

But with this stuck in there.
    It was such a gauntlet back then for bigs then you factor in 2nd tier guys like Zo, Mutombo, later on sabonis, hell even divac.

plus that east coast media bias.