Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Good High School Starter

Default Taking Calculus 2 this summer

Looking for advice, what to expect? What can I do to prepare..study what? Any help is appreciated.

Took Cal 1 Fall 2010, don't remember much.

Default Re: Taking Calculus 2 this summer

google is your frd

NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

khan academy on youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by BuGzBuNNy
    Looking for advice, what to expect? What can I do to prepare..study what? Any help is appreciated.

patrickjmt on youtube, he's an actual teacher. explains most of the stuffpretty easily. i'd say you start by dusting off the rust off your differentiation.

I love summer classes.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Stuckey
    google is your frd
    Google won't do shit for calculus.

My advice??

Go to class every day, do your homework, and use office hours for not only a resource on the material but also to create a rapport with your teacher. If you do those three things you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by BankShot
    Google won't do shit for calculus.

My advice??

Go to class every day, do your homework, and use office hours for not only a resource on the material but also to create a rapport with your teacher. If you do those three things you'll be fine.
    i used google to cram in a bunch of trig and other pre-cal material. weeks later in my cal 1 course i'm still using some resources i found on google. pauls notes and patrickJMT from youtube. if you want to go even deeper, digg up MIT's lectures, they offer both single and multi variable. i don't have time to watch hour long lectures though. unless you have dial-up internet, or you're brain is as slow as dial-up speed, you CAN learn calculus using internet resources only.

it is sad how this $100 textbook and subscription to matlab fail to do what a 3 minute video fro patrickJMT does. i haven't even opened my textbook in 2 weeks(although to be fair, matlab offers it online so i can just do my homework there but i don't even use the book in general to learn).

OP:
    Here is the first semester of calculus line up, it's all in order, it even aligns perfectly with my textbook/class lineup.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...aylist-comment
    enjoy! and donate if you find it useful!(he has a website). we need this mfer to keep making videos.

Magic Johnson

It's not that hard. You'll be fine. Have fun sitting in class two hours at a time. Not to mention you'll have recitation on Tuesday/Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by LA_Showtime
    It's not that hard. You'll be fine. Have fun sitting in class two hours at a time. Not to mention you'll have recitation on Tuesday/Thursday.
    this

gotta get me some xanax b/c halfway through the week i'm the worlds biggest introvert and my schedule is spread out pretty bad. very close to having a panic attack lol.

is Calc 2 integral calculus? with derivatives being calc1?

if so calc 2 was the hardest class i've taken to date, barely passed with a lot of studying and tutoring with a C.

The Nightman Cometh Shadynasty's's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by baseketball4life
    Basically. It probably varies by university, but my Calc II course covered integration, multivariate calculus, and introduced differential equations and Taylor series.

I rule the local playground m1sterb's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by baseketball4life

if so calc 2 was the hardest class i've taken to date, barely passed with a lot of studying and tutoring with a C.
    Just the post prior he mentioned he's close to a panick attack, jeez guy way to boost that confidence!

Anyways, I would also recommend youtube and if needed mathtutordvd.com is quality imo as well. It's just not fair that the internet blew up with material right after i completed my degree.

Also, what bankshot said is true. Don't skip class, do all the homework and by all means ask questions during office hours.

Do the homework without looking at the answers before completing the problem. Working out problems on a white board helped me as well. It can help to think on your feet. Get a solid study group going as long as it provides a good study session with minimal distractions.

Do a lot of problems, many many problems. Look for previous exams amongst folks, it's amazing how often teachers use exams over and over. Sometimes teachers even make those exams avaliable in the library, go figure. Don't rely on your calculator too much, but always have a spare with spare batteries just in case. I always liked keeping a copy of the EIT or FE manual printed out and available in your backpack. Never could remember those double angle formulas. Alcohol in moderation helped, lol. I was a rarity and it took the edge off.

It always blew me away on how much algebra was in calculus classes. Lastly, you can get a melamine board from home depot or lowes that's like 4 feet by 8 feet and costs like i forget 12 bucks? Don't let them tell you it won't serve as a white board. It will work perfectly.

Made that high school varsity squad Solidape's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BuGzBuNNy

Calc 2 is easier than Calc one...sucks to be you.

I remember taking all those classes, advanced differential equations was where I hit the fan, ...say what professor?

So far in my engineering experience, I have so far not required the use of these advanced differential equations.

Here is a tip, ....do all your homework problems and if you want to ace the class, do all the odd or even (depending which ones have answers in the back of the book) for the chapters.

Odds are that you will see a problem on the exam that is identical to one of those unassigned problems in the book.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Solidape
    Calc 2 is easier than Calc one...sucks to be you.
    Not at the school I went too. Our school had 16 people take Calc 1. About 10 passed. Those 10 took Calc 2. 4 passed. I was one of the 4, but my Calc 1 grade was an A, and my Calc 2 grade was a C, but it was slipping fast. I think if another test or 2 was added, I would have had a D (failing grade at my school).

Hume>Kunt.

Depends on how rigorously the material is taught. Most summer classes are not very rigorous so it won't be very difficult.