Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 12-08-2007, 02:38 AM   #31
Showtime
Hardwood Hero

Default Re: ...but...but...but I thought Ginobili and Parker couldn't function without Duncan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loquacious
How many countless posters have come on these boards and arrogently tried to rationalize Duncan being the true MVP and best player in NBA by averaging 18 or 19 points a game?

Not to be too hard on Duncan, cause he is a great player, but a lot of you act like his supporting cast isn't elite. Hell, at this point, I don't even know if I should call them supporting as much as equal teammates. Not in careers, but certainly as they play today, Ginobili and Parker are jut as important to the Spurs as Duncan is.

This cannot be debated any longer.

So please, next time Duncan averages 18 points in the Finals on 45% shooting, don't even bother trying to convince me he's the Finals MVP when his damn 6'0 teammate hit clutch bucket after bucket en route to posting 25 points a game on a ridiculous 60% shooting.

Right now, Duncan is doing what Robinson did: taking a back seat so the team succeeds. Yeah, Parker and Manu are all-star calibre players who contribute to the success of the team. But who was there when they weren't all-star calibre players? Who was carrying the team when Parker couldn't hit a jumpshot? Oh, that's right: Duncan. Duncan may not be the player he was 3 or 4 years ago, but he's getting the credit NOW by what he's been able to do the past decade.
Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 02:41 AM   #32
playtetris
soundcloud->solarcism

Default Re: ...but...but...but I thought Ginobili and Parker couldn't function without Duncan?

ginobili > parker... he's carried the spurs the last two games. amazing player.
playtetris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 02:45 AM   #33
Poseidon
Banned

Default Re: ...but...but...but I thought Ginobili and Parker couldn't function without Duncan

Replace Duncan with Boozer, Brand, Gasol or any other good PF and the Spurs don't lose a beat.

Manu and Parker are more valuable to that team than Duncan. It was proven a FACT during the Finals as BOTH carried Duncan's declining ass to his 4th title (lucky SOB).
Poseidon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 02:47 AM   #34
Showtime
Hardwood Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon
Replace Duncan with Boozer, Brand, Gasol or any other good PF and the Spurs don't lose a beat.

Manu and Parker are more valuable to that team than Duncan. It was proven a FACT during the Finals as BOTH carried Duncan's declining ass to his 4th title (lucky SOB).
That may be true the past two seasons, but nobody seems to remember anything before Parker and Manu emerged as stars.
Showtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 02:55 AM   #35
RIP CITY
DETROIT BASKETBALL

Quote:

Bull. None of them are even half the defender that Duncan is.

Quote:

What about the Series before against the Suns, were he out-played them, and everyone else on the floor against a much better opponent??
RIP CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 03:06 AM   #36
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.

Default Re: ...but...but...but I thought Ginobili and Parker couldn't function without Duncan?

Ginobli is one of the most underrated players in the league and Parker is the 3rd best PG in the league.

Without Duncan, Ginobli, and Parker.... the Spurs aren't winning a ship.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 03:47 AM   #37
rzp
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allstar24
OK some of you are acting as if it's TD's fault that he is surrounded by All-stars and LeBron is not. And since when are Manu and Tony underrated? With the exception of a few TD fans, everyone from TV to radio stations to ISH to other forums contantly remind us that Duncan is surrounded by top players and blah blah blah. So its not like Parker and Manu are not getting appreciated. Heck, Parker was the Finals MVP. But TD will always be the most valuable player on this team. He's probably the best teammate anyone could have. Parker admits that he makes things easier for everyone. He even took a pay cut because it would help the team. Maybe these other players who have to "carry" their team should learn something here.

Hmmm as a Shaq fan i remember well some of those Shaq x TD threads when some kid came with that BS "TD is better than Shaq , cuz TD won those ships alone while Shaq had Kobe and Wade " ;now they are taking a bit of their own poison

TD always played on deep teams , in a solid franchise ; sadly the kids needs 10 years and manu making 40 pts to see that ;

even in 03 when TD and Manu were averaging 10 ppg or something like that ,the stats werent telling the whole story ; as a Lakers fan im remember pretty well ...both torched the Lakers on playoffs
rzp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 04:32 AM   #38
Prodigy
Diaw Fan

We all know that Manu can lead a team. Parker however has yet to show that. Dude can't even lead team France to anywhere.
Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 04:49 AM   #39
Artillery
Decent college freshman

Quote:

And who carried them to the Finals? Duncan's overall playoff numbers were superior to both Manu and Parker's.

Most great players has great teammates. For example:

'94 Chicago Bulls without Jordan finished with a 55-27 record
Artillery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 04:59 AM   #40
LMFAO
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Dude, you sound like Nash Fan.

No one is saying DUNCAN isnt a great player, but the fact a lot of people have to deal with his fans telling them he and the Spurs are great because of him first and everything else second is absurd. Like Conley just said, DUNCAN IS NOT MICHAEL JORDAN!!!

This guy is not statistically dominating. Hasn't been like that for almost 4 years now. Is he winning rings? Yes. But that's also equally due to his freaking teammates. Ya know, the same teammtes that cover Duncan's ass during the regular season while he surfs his way to 18/10 in 32 mpg.

And yet people still act like he's the league MVP.

No, he's not. And the fact he doesn't have to play as many minutes during the season HELPS him during the playoffs when cats like LeBron and Kobe play 42 minutes a game CARRYING their teams.

That's a MVP.

yes that is a REGULAR season MVP. Who gives a ****. Helloo the object is to win the game! Tim Duncan through ten years and many, many,many different players and line ups has anchored the team and IN THE PLAYOFFS WHEN IT ACTUALLY COUNTED carried the team to victory. BTW Mike never won **** with out Snotty Pimp'n. He does not have to dominate the ball in order to win anymore. He took 11 million less in order for the Spurs to keep it that way. Thats a champion. **** MVP. Give it to Dirk and other first round exit team leaders who have not figured out what its all about. Big headed *****es like Kobe have to grease their damn ears to get them through a door. You want to reward that kind of ego? Go ahead. I will take the winner over the whiner any day. You keep your primadonna loosers and go ahead and chase those personal awards. Since 98-99 either Shaq or Duncan have been in the NBA finals EVERY FUKING YEAR. Ten years of outstanding play from two guys who have carried the league through some rough spots. Trash talk all you want. In the end the fact recorded in the record books will remain unchanged. Hopefully for you your hero and his coach have a clue and they are not worried about the individual awards either.

LMFAO
LMFAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 05:20 AM   #41
J.O.R.D.A.N.-#45
Banned

Quote:
How many countless posters have come on these boards and arrogently tried to rationalize Duncan being the true MVP and best player in NBA by averaging 18 or 19 points a game?

Not to be too hard on Duncan, cause he is a great player, but a lot of you act like his supporting cast isn't elite. Hell, at this point, I don't even know if I should call them supporting as much as equal teammates. Not in careers, but certainly as they play today, Ginobili and Parker are jut as important to the Spurs as Duncan is.

This cannot be debated any longer.

So please, next time Duncan averages 18 points in the Finals on 45% shooting, don't even bother trying to convince me he's the Finals MVP when his damn 6'0 teammate hit clutch bucket after bucket en route to posting 25 points a game on a ridiculous 60% shooting.

you should watch more football.
J.O.R.D.A.N.-#45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 09:20 AM   #42
duncan on U
Decent playground baller

why not? they're both all star caliber guards with 3 championship rings I repeat 3 championship rings!they can ball
duncan on U is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: