Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Arrow A non-biased comparison of Demarcus Cousins and Marc Gasol...

As an intelligent, honest, basketball fan I make sure that when I compare players, I use a strict, non-biased approach to analysis. This means I will factor into the equation, advanced statistics, base stat lines, team success in relation to said player/s, and a subjective, visual analysis AKA the eye test. Combining all of these different elements, creates an accurate value of basketball players.

Now on to the topic of this thread.

[COLOR="Purple"]Demarcus Cousins[/COLOR] vs Marc Gasol.

What do the advanced statistics say?
    Player Efficiency Rating (PER): [COLOR="Purple"]28.00[/COLOR] vs. 22.60
    Win shares/48: [COLOR="Purple"].210[/COLOR] vs. .202
    Real Plus Minus: [COLOR="Purple"]7.08[/COLOR] (Offense 2.44 Defense 4.64) vs. 3.26 (Offense 0.89 Defense 2.37)
    TS%: [COLOR="Purple"].586[/COLOR] vs. .578

What do the base stat lines say?
    Rebounds: [COLOR="Purple"]12.6 rebounds[/COLOR] vs. 8.1 rebounds
    Assists: [COLOR="Purple"]2.4 assists[/COLOR] vs. 3.7 assists
    Steals: [COLOR="Purple"]1.1 steals[/COLOR] vs. 1 steals
    Blocks: [COLOR="Purple"]1.5 blocks[/COLOR] vs. 1.5 blocks
    FG%: [COLOR="Purple"].512%[/COLOR] vs. .490%
    FT%: [COLOR="Purple"].806%[/COLOR] vs. .847%
    MPG: [COLOR="Purple"]32 mpg[/COLOR] vs. 35 mpg

Team success w/ said player:
    Memphis: 16-4, no injuries, easy schedule (SOS of .500)
    Sacramento: 11-10, 1-4 without Demarcus, hardest schedule in the league so far (SOS of .600). Multiple injuries to key players (Gay/Cousins/Collision/Casspi/etc). When Kings are healthy, all of the Gay Cousins Collision tandem play, the Kings are 7-3 (This was against top tier WC teams)

Eye test:
    Using my own extensive knowledge of the game, I can visually notice that Demarcus is the superior offensive player by a steep margin. This is further supported by pretty much every advanced/basic statistic, and is commonly accepted. Cousins' array of offensive moves is very impressive, he is extremely versatile. He has a solid mid range jumper that is in the 43-46% mark which is elite. He is really the only center who can drive to the basket off his own dribble in the halfcourt. He routinely gets to the charity stripe due to his quickness and strength and his ability to use those attributes combined with his high level of skill. His post moves down low are very impressive, he has a plethora of moves and counters that causes teams to either foul him, or double/triple/quadruple team him.He is an elite passer, especially from out of the post, which is why he is so important to his team. The offense runs around his dominance down low, the inside-out game.

On defense he has rapidly improved and is severely underrated in this department. The stats show that he has been very impressive this season, and the footage seems to back this uo. He does however need to cut down his foul count.

Marc on the offense has good finesse and crafty moves, but lacks the mobility to be more of a threat. He is slow footed, and mechanical in some of his moves, whereas he is fluid in others. His passing is definitely his most impresive attribute on this side of the court.

Defensively, he is impressive, being a former DPOY winner, he understands the role of being the big body in the lane, and plays this part well. He is a little overrated though, he benefits from great system defense, as well as superior wing/guard defenders in Tony Allen and Mike Conley. Randolph is no slouch either.

Conclusion:
    All the supported evidence seems to allude to that Demarcus is the superior basketball player. I agree with this statement. Marc is no slouch, but he is not the best center in the league. That title belongs to the big man down in the Cowbell Kingdom.

Default Re: A non-biased comparison of Demarcus Cousins and Marc Gasol...

Any feedback/constructive criticism would be appreciated

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Im Still Ballin
    Any feedback/constructive criticism would be appreciated
    Ok. I don't believe you are capable of being non-biased, so have somebody else post this and maybe I'll read a couple sentences next time before realizing it is coming from a biased agenda.

Banned

I'd take Gasol over Cousins if I wanted to have a competing team.

If I had a bunch of scrubs and wasn't going to be trying to actually win but just see how far one player could carry me then I'd take Cousins.

Quote Originally Posted by outbreak
    I'd take Gasol over Cousins if I wanted to have a competing team.

If I had a bunch of scrubs and wasn't going to be trying to actually win but just see how far one player could carry me then I'd take Cousins.
    This is stupid. Explain this please. How on earth would you come to this conclusion?

Another huge point I talked about with my buddies at RealGM...

Kings are 2-15 without Demarcus in this season, and the last. Those two wins were this season, 1 pt win against the Pacers and a win against Utah.

Decent college freshman Mass Debator's Avatar

Cousins is definitely more talented to me, but I believe the thing that makes it closer than it should be is leadership and bball IQ. Marc can do all the little things on defense and offense that doesn't appear on the stat sheet which impact the game in ways Cousins just don't do on a consistent basis. I remember like last year when Gasol went down, the Grizzlies had like a 5 game losing streak in his 20 something games missed. Then when he came back, they won 9/10. I bet you if you counted hockey assists, Marc averages like near 10 assists per game. It's just a habit for him to make the right play. Cousins however can be a freak on offense. Explosive.

I don't think either team would swap players so that just tells me that both are very valuable to their respective teams. Both are pretty great. Marc Gasol could probably fit in any system with any type of players so I'd probably lean towards him being my pick.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mass Debator
    Cousins is definitely more talented to me, but I believe the thing that makes it closer than it should be is leadership and bball IQ. Marc can do all the little things on defense and offense that doesn't appear on the stat sheet which impact the game in ways Cousins just don't do on a consistent basis. I remember like last year when Gasol went down, the Grizzlies had like a 5 game losing streak in his 20 something games missed. Then when he came back, they won 9/10. I bet you if you counted hockey assists, Marc averages like near 10 assists per game. It's just a habit for him to make the right play. Cousins however can be a freak on offense. Explosive.

I don't think either team would swap players so that just tells me that both are very valuable to their respective teams. Both are pretty great. Marc Gasol could probably fit in any system with any type of players so I'd probably lean towards him being my pick.
    That's the same point I was trying to make. I think Marc fits in better on a competitive team. He doesn't need to dominate to get his numbers and he contributes in a variety of ways.

OP = number 1 Cousins ******ger so lol @ non biased. Even thought I might agree with most of your post. I think that needs to stated.

Maeru Perinawa Achali TaLvsCuaL's Avatar

Alright lets be honest... the eye test is 100% biased. Thats why I don't like to use it, rather use objective measures like stats. Stats that seem to fall in Boogie's favor. No surprise there.

Alright lets be honest... the eye test is 100% biased. Thats why I don't like to use it, rather use objective measures like stats. Stats that seem to fall in Boogie's favor. No surprise there.
    Is that why you needed to type more in the eye test section than any other section?

Another huge point I talked about with my buddies at RealGM...

Kings are 2-15 without Demarcus in this season, and the last. Those two wins were this season, 1 pt win against the Pacers and a win against Utah.
    Are you aware that the only reason Grizzlies were an 8th seed instead of higher was because of Gasol's injury? Since Gasol's return last season, his team has won more games than any other team in the league.

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    Is that why you needed to type more in the eye test section than any other section?
    Are you aware that you are trying to compare an eye test to stats? One is just an objective base figure and one needs a paragraph.

And seeming as how Demarcus easily won the stats argument, no extra explanation was required. The only possible reasons why people can think Gasol is better are the eye test and team record. Both of which are pretty much a wash.

Are you aware that you are trying to compare an eye test to stats? One is just an objective base figure and one needs a paragraph.

And seeming as how Demarcus easily won the stats argument, no extra explanation was required. The only possible reasons why people can think Gasol is better are the eye test and team record. Both of which are pretty much a wash.
    Team record is a wash he says