Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Love Live Life

Default Re: How does playing against college scrubs help you become a better player in the NBA?

It would benefit the NCAA and the NBA if guys would stay 4 years in college.

Would benefit the players also cause they would have a degree to fall back on if anything happened that caused their NBA career to end early

Default Re: How does playing against college scrubs help you become a better player in the NBA?

Quote Originally Posted by Nash
    That is such a bad excuse though. There are scouts and GMs that are paid a lot of money to discover talent. Their job is to notice the talent at an early age and groom them within the team.
    You can scout as much talent as you want. At the end of the day, you need to see guys play real games. Not summer games and pickup games against random bums.

Banned

How else is the NCAA going to make all that money?

I want to see guys stay longer in school because they seem to lack the maturity to handle being young stars in the league. Also being so young and raw is a good way to pick up a lot of losing habits instead of learning how to win on the college level.

Get these guys outta there ASAP. They need to work on their talent and develop it against the best, not against amateurs.

In sports the age between 18-20 is the most important one in shaping their future. Spending that time playing against super mega scrubs in college doesn't benefit you at all.

explains why jordan was such an underachiever.

stupid fukk

Quote Originally Posted by NumberSix
    You can scout as much talent as you want. At the end of the day, you need to see guys play real games. Not summer games and pickup games against random bums.
    I could argue that most college players are random bums.

I could argue that most college players are random bums.
    Most are, but what's the other option? Fill the NBA with chumps and wait a few years to see which ones are good? Then were just stuck with a new wave of chumps every year.

These kids just need to take all the financial management classes they can in college. Other than that, I see no point for playing a year. Imagine being a #1 recruit then suffering a career ending injury in college. **** that

Quote Originally Posted by 3peated
    explains why jordan was such an underachiever.

stupid fukk
    College had nothing to do with Jordan becoming the player he did, Jordan himself did.

It has nothing to do with being ready immediately when arriving to the NBA, it has all to do with how good you could become down the line. Nobody is going to take the NBA by storm their first year.

I could argue that a 22 year old Kyrie Irving with 4 year NBA experience is a better player than a 22 year old Kyrie Irving with 4 year college experience.

College had nothing to do with Jordan becoming the player he did, Jordan himself did.

It has nothing to do with being ready immediately when arriving to the NBA, it has all to do with how good you could become down the line. Nobody is going to take the NBA by storm their first year.

I could argue that a 22 year old Kyrie Irving with 4 year NBA experience is a better player than a 22 year old Kyrie Irving with 4 year college experience.
    Are we sure Jordan would have even been drafted if he didn't play in college?

Quote Originally Posted by inclinerator
    mark cuban said join the dleague, i disagree watch the documentary on lin, it's about every1 getting their own.
    i would say play overseas or something
    Cuban said that they should set it up so i'd be better to join the d league, he didn't mean in the state it's in now.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by ihoopallday
    These kids just need to take all the financial management classes they can in college. Other than that, I see no point for playing a year. Imagine being a #1 recruit then suffering a career ending injury in college. **** that

So dont go to college. Get paid overseas or just work out with a private trainer for a year and take the risk of dropping a bit in the draft. Cant have everything you want.

Banned

No way he gets drafted out of high school. Prime example of a guy who NEEDED at least 3 years in college. If he was drafted at age 17 or 18, he would've ridden a bench for a few years and maybe whatever team drafted him would've cut him if he didn't develop fast enough. And most NBA teams don't have the time or patience (ala a Dean Smith) to teach young guys how to play basketball.

Unless a team is completely committed to building on 'potential', they pretty much expect a guy who they're paying millions of dollars to know how to do their job. As they should.

Then it is not Jordan's issue, its the GM's and scouts who managed to miss out on him.

Also, Jordan was ACC freshman of the year. He would have no problems being selected in the draft if the draft was not age limited.

There is a reason why the freshmans are the players usually picked in the draft and that you very seldom see a college junior or senior turn things around from his freshman year to become a superstar. The NBA does a great job of picking out the best talents, that is not the issue here. The issue is that I think the NBA has better environment of developing these talents instead of college.

maybe. i think for the average player it's very important to stay in school and learn the true fundamentals of teh game and how to play team ball, and showing up when your number is called. it's a different game completely for a superstar player who is going to be in for 75%+ of the game