Page 1 of 15 123411 ... LastLast

Default Dwight Howard: "I'll only resign with one team."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--dw...-one-team.html

Orlando Magic star Dwight Howard told Yahoo! Sports he will not re-sign with a team outside his preferred list that trades for him, and emphatically denied that he ever used the term "blackmail" to describe how Magic officials convinced him to waive his early termination option.

As the Los Angeles Lakers, Houston Rockets and other teams prepare possible trade offers for him, Howard told Yahoo! by phone that, "There’s only one team on my list and if I don’t get traded there, I'll play the season out and explore my free agency after that."

Howard wouldn’t specify the team, but multiple league sources believe that it is the Brooklyn Nets.

Howard also denied an ESPN report that he had told people Orlando Magic officials had “blackmailed” him into forgoing the early termination option on his contract that ultimately cost him his free agency this summer.

"I never used the word blackmail in reference to any of my dealings with the Magic," Howard said. “I never said that. It’s defamatory and it’s inaccurate. I know what blackmail means and any report that I used the term incorrectly is inaccurate."

[Related: Magic entertaining trade offers for Dwight Howard]

Howard met with new Magic general manager Rob Hennigan on Friday in Los Angeles, and said he told Hennigan of his desire to be traded. However, Howard insisted he was merely repeating a position he had made clear to Magic officials since waiving his ETO in March.

"This was not the first time [that I asked for trade]," Howard said. "I communicated this to [Magic president] Alex [Martins] and [former general manager] Otis [Smith] way before Friday that I wanted to be traded – months before this meeting with Rob Hennigan. That was all way before Stan [Van Gundy] got fired."

Howard is rehabilitating from back surgery, and wouldn’t speculate on whether he could be prepared to return for the start of the regular season. Howard had a herniated disk repaired, and sizable fragments of bone removed on April 20. Before the diagnosis that Howard would require season-ending surgery late in the Magic's regular season, Howard had heard the suggestions inside and outside the organization that perhaps he wasn’t truly injured, that maybe he had bailed on his team.

"I’ve never faked anything," Howard told Yahoo! Sports. "I’d never fake a back injury to not play for my team. I played a lot of games in a lot of pain, and there were times that I was crying in the locker room afterward because I was so seriously hurt. But I kept fighting. I’ve played with a cracked sternum in the past, and played with a lot of different [injuries].

"This time, I couldn't play. Regardless of what people say, 'Hey, you’re Superman,' I'm a man. I bleed. And I have bones, too. And something happened that I couldn’t control.

"It really upset me that anyone would say that I was doing something out of spite for my team or my city. I have the utmost respect for the Magic organization, for the people of Orlando. Everything I did was from my heart, and I would never do anything to betray my city."

Howard discussed something else that had become synonymous with his season, and that was the bizarre April 5 shootaround in Orlando when his former coach, Stan Van Gundy, told reporters that Orlando management had informed him that Howard had requested his firing. The video of Howard walking into a scrum of reporters, unaware of what Van Gundy had said, went viral. Ultimately, it became a flashpoint of criticism toward Howard.

When asked if he felt set up, Howard told Yahoo! Sports: “I did. I had no clue about what had happened, about what he had said. I wanted to clear it up that this was not what was happening behind closed doors, and I stepped into something that I didn’t know how to handle. It hurts me to this day, thinking about how people were saying these things about me, calling me, "a coach killer," and all this crazy stuff. It upset me, it hurt a lot."

Default Re: Dwight Howard: "I'll only resign with one team."

finally he speaks

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Way to totally screw over your current team by diminishing their ability to play the market.

Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

10 times worse than Lebron. ****ing dickhead.

Banned

cry

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Xiao Yao You's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reppy
    Way to totally screw over your current team by diminishing their ability to play the market.
    Hey come on he has the utmost respect for the Magic organization, for the people of Orlando.

NBA rookie of the year

This is ten times worse than The Decision.

NBA rookie of the year

But nobody cares that much about Dwight so he still won't get LeBron like backlash.

Banned

A player having to look out for his own interest is one thing.. But the way Howard's handling things.. Just makes him out to be a real a**hole.

College star

Cry me a river.

This Dwight drama is starting to overshadow Lebron and Melo's combined.

Obviously the message he wanted to get across was, "Unless you are Brooklyn don't trade for me or you will waste a year of my time and yours because I will not re-sign with you."

Just trade him to Brooklyn already. My God.

Quote Originally Posted by DStebb716
    "It really upset me that anyone would say that I was doing something out of spite for my team or my city. I have the utmost respect for the Magic organization, for the people of Orlando. Everything I did was from my heart, and I would never do anything to betray my city."
    He has absolutely no respect for the city of Orlando. The fact that he can not be a professional and simply play out his contract means that does not have respect for the city. The fact that he makes trade demands and then gives the Magic an ultimatum and lets the world know he will only sign with one team, definitely makes him look like a jackass. It seems like this guy does not understand that by doing this he is killing his trade value. The Magic really have no leverage because hardly any team is willing to give up significant pieces to trade for this guy. The only team he wants to be traded to does not have good enough pieces to compensate the Magic properly.

It really is unfair to his fans and to the city to pretend that he actually cares about the organization. He doesn't give two-shits about Orlando. It is fine with me if he doesn't care about Orlando, but don't be such a jackass and kill your trade value. That franchise has absolutely no other valuable piece and the only way they can get something significant back is if they trade him; but unfortunately he specifies he is not willing to sign with anyone else to scare off any potential serious suitors.

The Rockets are desperate enough to make a deal, but I am sure the Magic could get better offers had Howard not declared to the world that he will only sign with one team. What a jackass.

[QUOTE=DStebb716]When asked if he felt set up, Howard told Yahoo! Sports:

Whatta a diva, SMH