Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
    Local High School Star Bush4Ever's Avatar

Default Re: I wanna know how Ricky Rubio's ceiling is higher than Rondo's

Quote Originally Posted by mrhoopfan
    I'm playing devil's advocate for sure but when you say better shooter what do you mean. Because Rondo makes 51% of his shots
    I mean shooter as in outside shooter. From what I have seen from Rubio, he has a good set shot, but can't really do much off of the dribble.

Rondo is an efficient shooter, but he takes relatively low risk shots (which is good/smart for his currently skill level at outside shooting).

Not airballing my layups anymore Unknown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dasher
    He was born an American citizen. I was born in the Bahamas, but I was an American at birth as well. His brother played for the University of Illinois Chicago for a reason. Tony is an real exception to the Euro PG rule, and the main reason for that is because his father is a former American basketball player, and you can see the Chicago in his game. Tony also refined his game in America, and was mentored further by Pop. His game is as American as they come.
    He was born in Belgium and raised in Paris. His father playing in Chicago however many years earlier has nothing to do with him being 'American'. His dad played the majority of his career in France. Furthermore, he was in Europe until 2001 until he was drafted (19 years). He played at an amateur level and professional level in France before coming to America. Just because he had outside help from his dad doesn't make him an American because you want him to be.

I live in Australia, but my dad, a Yugoslavian army office taught me how to play. So does that mean I can be a Yugoslavian player because my dad taught me how to play? My style is European, but I haven't been there since I was 3 months old. Sure, I'd probably be eligible, but is it right? Just because your family is from somewhere, or played somewhere differently doesn't automatically make you part of that country.

Tony's style is not European, and he is just as American as Joe Alexander, Patrick Ewing, Dikembe Mutombo, or Hakeem Olajuwon. The bulk of his professional development occurred in the states. His original mentor, and the professional coach who molded his game were Americans.

Quote Originally Posted by mrhoopfan
    The OP was honestly thinking white Euro.....AND no one has still been able to say how Rubio has a higher ceiling than Rondo who was picked like 20th in the draft....
    Who and what determines 'ceiling' anyway?

No matter what, all you're going to get from that topic is bias. One person will say this because he sees something another person doesn't. There's not a point in arguing it because you wont ever get an honest answer out of anyone. Everyone has their own agenda, and their own perception of a player. No one is wrong, but it's incredibly hard to argue with someone who ignores anything you write because it doesn't make his case look good.

In my opinion, Rubio has a chance to be a 19/10 player. But that's because I've watched him play countless times (as my dad loves the Euroleague), and honestly believe he has a chance to be a special player, given his age (not even 18), and skills at this point. It's a rarity to see a guy average 6 assists per game in the Euroleague, especially in half a game. But there's always counter-arguments, of course, like he's weak. But he's quick, and very, very smart. His skills are at a perfect level right now. Most players improve dramatically at age 19-20, so he probably isn't even one-third of the way to develpoing into the player he could be.

Tony's style is not European, and he is just as American as Joe Alexander, Patrick Ewing, Dikembe Mutombo, or Hakeem Olajuwon. The bulk of his professional development occurred in the states. His original mentor, and the professional coach who molded his game were Americans.
    Eh.

Born in Belgium
    Played in France
    Developed in France until age 19

When Rubio comes here, will he also be American when a coach plays and starts him?

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown
    Eh.

Born in Belgium
    Played in France
    Developed in France until age 19

When Rubio comes here, will he also be American when a coach plays and starts him?
    Rubio's dad is not from the Southside of Chicago, but in order to be successful Ricky will have to molded to being able to play the American style, which stresses pick and roll play, drive and kick ability, and the ability to defend with your feet instead of your hands. Rubio's set shot will have to be discarded, an adequate pull up jumper will have to replace it, and he will have to get used to not being able to maul defenders while on defense.

Bucks fan

Rubio won't neccessarily be better than Rondo, but that doesn't mean he shouldn't be drafted highly. You can tell by the youtube highlights of Rubio that he's already as good as lots of NBA PGs - I think he's a starting caliber player for sure, and that's worth a lot in the draft.

Keep in mind that if the '06 draft were re-done, Rondo would be a top 5 pick. Possibly even the #2 pick after Roy (and ahead of Aldridge, Bargnani and Thomas). The fact that he fell so low in the draft was a fluke, and it doesn't mean that players who are "only" that good should also fall so low in the draft.

Obviously a lost cause, arguing this.

Parker is European; French. That's that. There's no discarding that. If he were a normal human being, you wouldn't give a **** if his education was American. You'd still call him a Frenchman because that's where he was raised - his whole life was spent there.

Edit: Meant for Dasher.

Actually there is an argument for him having a great deal of American influence in his life and game. Should the impact of the man who sired him and introduced him to the game be discarded? The answer to that is no. His American roots is evident in his game.

His American roots is evident in his game.

they are evident in every basketball player.

parker = french

are you gonna tell us rik smits was american too? detlef schrempf? toni kukoc?

Quote Originally Posted by loot
    they are evident in every basketball player.

parker = french

are you gonna tell us rik smits was american too? detlef schrempf? toni kukoc?
    Different circumstances. Do they have American fathers as well?

Different circumstances. Do they have American fathers as well?
    it doesnt matter. rik smits and schrempf went to us colleges. you can see that in their games too. doesnt make them american. parker is what he is.

Quote Originally Posted by loot
    parker is what he is.
    A Franco-American point guard.

Local High School Star mrhoopfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unknown
    Who and what determines 'ceiling' anyway?

No matter what, all you're going to get from that topic is bias. One person will say this because he sees something another person doesn't. There's not a point in arguing it because you wont ever get an honest answer out of anyone. Everyone has their own agenda, and their own perception of a player. No one is wrong, but it's incredibly hard to argue with someone who ignores anything you write because it doesn't make his case look good.

In my opinion, Rubio has a chance to be a 19/10 player. But that's because I've watched him play countless times (as my dad loves the Euroleague), and honestly believe he has a chance to be a special player, given his age (not even 18), and skills at this point. It's a rarity to see a guy average 6 assists per game in the Euroleague, especially in half a game. But there's always counter-arguments, of course, like he's weak. But he's quick, and very, very smart. His skills are at a perfect level right now. Most players improve dramatically at age 19-20, so he probably isn't even one-third of the way to develpoing into the player he could be.
    Good post. i like to play devil's advocate definitely but i honestly get annoyed when our american players( Jonny Flynn for example) get overlooked and all the hype goes to a foreigner...And I also think he plays nothing like Stockton or nash but gets the comparison because they are good white guards, he plays like a weaker, bit slower Jason Kidd more than anything

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by Bush4Ever
    From what I have seen, Rubio will be more towards Nash's revolving door defense than Stockton's relatively tight defense.

He *could* be a better passer (although Rondo is extremely efficient with the ball and the most underrated passer in the game today IMO), and probably will be a better shooter, but defensively....no.
    Ricky Rubio won Defensive player of the year this year in the Spanish ACB league. He's 18. In his first year in the Euroleague at age 16 he averaged almost 4 steals a game in only 18 minutes per game.

He is the most exciting defensive player I have ever seen. Seriously. He had six steals against team USA in the two games they played against them in the Olympics. He stripped Paul a few times, just straight took it from him off the dribble. Chris Paul.

Here was Rubio's stat line from his last game in the ACB.

13 pts, 7 assts, 6 steals.

And 'could' be a better passer? WHHAAT? He's 10 times the passer Rondo is right now..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12FOZsjWxwk

He's a better passer, shooter and defender than Rondo is RIGHT NOW. That's how he has more ceiling.