Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2007, 01:34 AM   #61
brwnman
.
 
brwnman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,628
brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation
Default Re: can someone tell me what makes Alston better than these players.

Alston actually has some real skill and his talents are above the rest - he just doesn't know how to apply it...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 01:35 AM   #62
TMac&Luther
Karl Malone's bastard
 
TMac&Luther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,415
TMac&Luther is considered somewhat coolTMac&Luther is considered somewhat coolTMac&Luther is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: can someone tell me what makes Alston better than these players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wTFaMonkey
he fits the adelman offense

Wasn't the point of bringing Adelman in here, that his offense was flexible and would allow more players to contribute.........I mean when I look at Rafer Alson, I sure as hell don't think of Mike Bibby. I'm not buying the "he fits the offense" card anymore.

If that's the offense that "Rafer fits", I want a new offense.......one that can fit somebody else.
TMac&Luther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 01:45 AM   #63
TMac&Luther
Karl Malone's bastard
 
TMac&Luther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,415
TMac&Luther is considered somewhat coolTMac&Luther is considered somewhat coolTMac&Luther is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: can someone tell me what makes Alston better than these players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brwnman
Alston actually has some real skill and his talents are above the rest - he just doesn't know how to apply it...

He's 31 years old, so if he hasn't applied it by now.....he's never going to.....so if you know he's never going to...exactly how much skill does he really have?
TMac&Luther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 01:48 AM   #64
brwnman
.
 
brwnman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,628
brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation
Default Re: can someone tell me what makes Alston better than these players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMac&Luther
He's 31 years old, so if he hasn't applied it by now.....he's never going to.....so if you know he's never going to...exactly how much skill does he really have?

you can't question his skill - i mean he's never gonna apply it... if he was going to, he would have and this is probably his last chance (not working so far)...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 01:49 AM   #65
baseketball4life
NBA Superstar
 
baseketball4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 13,915
baseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbaseketball4life is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: can someone tell me what makes Alston better than these players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15
here's a guy who does absolutely nothing right, and I mean ever, blew 2 wide open game tying 3s today, and he's competing against:

Aaron Brooks
Steve Francis
Luther Head
Mike James

and yet he's the one who plays. why?
brooks is a rookie no where near ready, head aint a PG, also young. Mike James isnt really a prototypical PG, more of an off guard... and Francis is in Adelmans dog house and came in out of shape... Alston is quick,fast, good handles, can pass... right now hes struggling with his shot but once that comes around he will show he deserves his spot. Also he is a pretty good steals guy.
baseketball4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 01:50 AM   #66
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™
 
geeWiz15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: limbo
Posts: 5,767
geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: can someone tell me what makes Alston better than these players.

Quote:
Give Alston 35 min/game, make him the primary ball-handler and put him on the Grizzlies, he'll average 7+apg and 13+ppg.
whoop de ****ing do. Antonio Daniels could average 15/8 if he had a coach stupid enough to put him in complete control of a team. Brevin Knight averaged like 11/9 or something on the Bobcats. even Jason Hart put up double digit assists when he got minutes in Charlotte.

if an NBA PG gets minutes and the ball in his hands, he's going to put up the stats you mentioned. that does NOT make him special and that does not make it a good idea.

and actually I used to like Alston a lot when I viewed him as a positive contributor. back when he was on the Heat. I thought he was a great backup. guy had charm back when he was Skip To My Lou and nobody was sure if he'd even make the NBA or not. but Rafer Alston should just not be starting, especially for the Rockets.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 01:55 AM   #67
TMac&Luther
Karl Malone's bastard
 
TMac&Luther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,415
TMac&Luther is considered somewhat coolTMac&Luther is considered somewhat coolTMac&Luther is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: can someone tell me what makes Alston better than these players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15
whoop de ****ing do. Antonio Daniels could average 15/8 if he had a coach stupid enough to put him in complete control of a team. Brevin Knight averaged like 11/9 or something on the Bobcats. even Jason Hart put up double digit assists when he got minutes in Charlotte.

if an NBA PG gets minutes and the ball in his hands, he's going to put up the stats you mentioned. that does NOT make him special and that does not make it a good idea.

and actually I used to like Alston a lot when I viewed him as a positive contributor. back when he was on the Heat. I thought he was a great backup. guy had charm back when he was Skip To My Lou and nobody was sure if he'd even make the NBA or not. but Rafer Alston should just not be starting, especially for the Rockets.


Correct, Yao doesn't play deep down in the low post in the half court on every play anymore......we need a Point Guard that can drive the lane (because it's open now) and finish/drive the lane, suck the defense in, and kick it back out..........or how about this, a PG that can hit a open fu%$ing 3pter....there's a novel idea, just hit open shots Rafer, I don't even care if you can't finish in the lane.....just hit open shots.
TMac&Luther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 01:56 AM   #68
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™
 
geeWiz15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: limbo
Posts: 5,767
geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: can someone tell me what makes Alston better than these players.

Quote:
You mention one game. I look at stats for 82 games. See the difference?

He's obviously a much better shooter than you're giving him credit for, because he shot +36%.
Alston's a decent shooter, nothing more nothing less. he's not spot-up reliable, and he's not good enough to be a volume shooter. so basically he's just an average shooter, who gets a ****load of open looks and can't convert more than 36% which is just sad. if all Gilbert Arenas or Ray Allen had to do was 'bring the ball up' and 'feed Yao' they'd be at least 40% shooting the same volume of threes that Alston does so that % comparison is bogus. Alston's an average shooter and a player who just doesn't help the Rockets or fit what they need at the point at all.

for the record, I support Mike James starting. I've always liked him. I recognize that he does have faults. but I look at Rick Adelman, and I think of the spirit that Mike James has, and I think it's worth a shot. Mike James is a great shooter. he is a damn good defender. he is fiery and competitive. he works hard. I say give him a chance. because the status quo just won't do. if Adelman can convince James to not overdribble and to recognize Yao and Tmac as options 1 and 2, I think he's the perfect PG for this team. they've got 70 games to make it happen. I say give it a shot.
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 02:07 AM   #69
TMac&Luther
Karl Malone's bastard
 
TMac&Luther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,415
TMac&Luther is considered somewhat coolTMac&Luther is considered somewhat coolTMac&Luther is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: can someone tell me what makes Alston better than these players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15
Alston's a decent shooter, nothing more nothing less. he's not spot-up reliable, and he's not good enough to be a volume shooter. so basically he's just an average shooter, who gets a ****load of open looks and can't convert more than 36% which is just sad. if all Gilbert Arenas or Ray Allen had to do was 'bring the ball up' and 'feed Yao' they'd be at least 40% shooting the same volume of threes that Alston does so that % comparison is bogus. Alston's an average shooter and a player who just doesn't help the Rockets or fit what they need at the point at all.

for the record, I support Mike James starting. I've always liked him. I recognize that he does have faults. but I look at Rick Adelman, and I think of the spirit that Mike James has, and I think it's worth a shot. Mike James is a great shooter. he is a damn good defender. he is fiery and competitive. he works hard. I say give him a chance. because the status quo just won't do. if Adelman can convince James to not overdribble and to recognize Yao and Tmac as options 1 and 2, I think he's the perfect PG for this team. they've got 70 games to make it happen. I say give it a shot.

I think the only reason why Adelman hasn't started James yet, is because so far this season (outside of a few shooting slump games) he's been the only "consistent" scoring spark off the bench.

If James starts, who's going to be that spark....Bonzi looked like he was up to the job, but he looks great one second and then can't finish a layup the next.

Hopefully after tonight Scola has more good games.

The fact is, until another one of our guards steps up (like Head...or god forbid Francis) and proves they can bring a spark off the bench, I really don't see James starting.......I think Adelman sh!ts his pants at the thought of Rafer being the "offensive spark" and savior off the bench.

I still think this team needs to make a trade to get another guard in here that has some size and is strictly a pure shooter.....our gaurds get WAY TOO MANY open looks to suck this bad behing the line.

Last edited by TMac&Luther : 11-17-2007 at 02:11 AM.
TMac&Luther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 02:09 AM   #70
brwnman
.
 
brwnman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 7,628
brwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputationbrwnman has a terrific reputation
Default Re: can someone tell me what makes Alston better than these players.

a jon barry of four years ago or so would help the rockets...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 02:23 AM   #71
RidonKs
NBA Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Free Hat!
Posts: 16,636
RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: can someone tell me what makes Alston better than these players.

Quote:
if all Gilbert Arenas or Ray Allen had to do was 'bring the ball up' and 'feed Yao' they'd be at least 40% shooting the same volume of threes that Alston does so that % comparison is bogus.
Well who the hell's going to look good shooting when compared to Gil and Ray? Might as well throw prime Reg into the discussion too.

I'm not saying Rafer's a good shooter, but he's certainly not bad as rich was making him out to be. I'd probably say slightly above average. 36% isn't something that can be done by just about anyone, even if they are all on open looks. To put it into perspective, Antawn and Sheed both shot the same. Obviously there's were most likely a little more contested, but it's not like those two shoot step back's all the time. Most of their 3's are off pick and pops where they free themselves up.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 02:31 AM   #72
TMac&Luther
Karl Malone's bastard
 
TMac&Luther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,415
TMac&Luther is considered somewhat coolTMac&Luther is considered somewhat coolTMac&Luther is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: can someone tell me what makes Alston better than these players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RidonKs
Well who the hell's going to look good shooting when compared to Gil and Ray? Might as well throw prime Reg into the discussion too.

I'm not saying Rafer's a good shooter, but he's certainly not bad as rich was making him out to be. I'd probably say slightly above average. 36% isn't something that can be done by just about anyone, even if they are all on open looks. To put it into perspective, Antawn and Sheed both shot the same. Obviously there's were most likely a little more contested, but it's not like those two shoot step back's all the time. Most of their 3's are off pick and pops where they free themselves up.

Rafer isn't even shooting 36%

He's hitting for 31% from the field and only 20% from behind the line (that one right there is especially bad since almost all those attempts have been wide open......2 out of 10 aint going to cut it)

Last edited by TMac&Luther : 11-17-2007 at 02:56 AM.
TMac&Luther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 02:36 AM   #73
geeWiz15
Quality Posts™
 
geeWiz15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: limbo
Posts: 5,767
geeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation heregeeWiz15 has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: can someone tell me what makes Alston better than these players.

Quote:
Well who the hell's going to look good shooting when compared to Gil and Ray? Might as well throw prime Reg into the discussion too.
because someone argued "Alston shoots 36% but so does Arenas and Allen isn't much better so he must be a good shooter too."
geeWiz15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 02:55 AM   #74
RidonKs
NBA Legend
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Free Hat!
Posts: 16,636
RidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRidonKs is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: can someone tell me what makes Alston better than these players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeWiz15
because someone argued "Alston shoots 36% but so does Arenas and Allen isn't much better so he must be a good shooter too."
Oh.

Well that's... awkward. Or not really, because this is online. And nothing's awkward online.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:33 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy