Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default LeBron seeks to be highest paid player in the NBA

http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miam...maximum-salary

Teams that contact James will be informed that he wants no less than the maximum salary number for next season, sources said. The max number is projected to be $22.2 million. In 2010, James accepted a pay cut when he signed with the Miami Heat, taking less than the maximum salary to help make space for other free agents.

As of now, James is not scheduling any pitch meetings with teams; he will let agent Rich Paul handle the opening stages of talks. In 2010, James scheduled six meetings with teams at his offices in Cleveland over the first three days of July.
    This is interesting news but no surprise to be. His goal as a teenager was to become a billionaire. Nothing wrong with that goal, and I have no problem with him wanting the max. LeBron is my least favorite player, but I understand what he is worth, and it should be about 3x whatever Whistle and Bish make.

Go get it Bron.

Da Mavs

Default Re: LeBron seeks to be highest paid player in the NBA

Woj made a great point on the Dan Patrick show this morning. If LeBron was in an NBA with a free market...his salary would be 50-60 million no doubt with his marketability.

Still incredible that he's never been the single highest paid player on his team in any given year.

Even more than kobe?

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by D-FENS
    http://espn.go.com/nba/truehoop/miam...maximum-salary

This is interesting news but no surprise to be. His goal as a teenager was to become a billionaire. Nothing wrong with that goal, and I have no problem with him wanting the max. LeBron is my least favorite player, but I understand what he is worth, and it should be about 3x whatever Whistle and Bish make.

Go get it Bron.
    Demanding the max salary helps all star players, IMO.

Wait, who was making more money than him in his second contract?

Currently, seven teams have the cap space to offer James a deal starting at $22.2 million next season: the Heat, Dallas Mavericks, Los Angeles Lakers, Phoenix Suns, Utah Jazz, Philadelphia 76ers and Orlando Magic.

The Lakers and Suns, known to be serious bidders, have the space to add James and other high-level free agents. The Heat have the most cap space at $55 million but have Wade and Bosh to attend to as well. Mavericks owner Mark Cuban said over the weekend that his team did not plan to make any max contract offers to free agents.

Quote Originally Posted by Smook A.
    Even more than kobe?

I wish that would happen IMO.

If he's really getting nearly the $23 million, I have to wonder what type of paycuts Wade and Bosh are really taking. Even with LeBron taking around $18 million, Bosh $15 million and Wade $12-13 million that doesn't leave them a ton of room to do too much.

Banned

It's impossible for him to make more money than Kobe these next two years.

Local High School Star Inactive's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nightprowler10
    Wait, who was making more money than him in his second contract?
    Ben Wallace in 08, and 09. Shaq in 10.

NBA Superstar

He needs to take notes from Duncan.

Decent college freshman Mass Debator's Avatar

Either Lebron wants the Heat organization to kick him out so he looks "better" or he doesn't care about winning another championship.

I say a little bit of both so I'm leaning towards him leaving south beach if this is all true.

2 out of 5

Local High School Star lakerspng's Avatar

I do wonder if he told Wade and Bosh about this decision when they discussed all opting out to renegotiate their contracts to move forward as a team.

22 to Bron, that leaves 33 for the rest of the team. If they plan on adding another few pieces they can't spend more than 25 on wade and bosh...

unless... can the Heat sign LeBron to a max, then add another 15 mill in other salaries and then wait and go over the cap resigning wade and bosh knowing they'll pay a luxury tax? and wade and bosh know what's going on and just don't talk to any other teams and let Miami make it's other moves first trusting they're going to be taken care of?

This is really some bizarre mind-fvckery that Lebron is doing with the Heat. How the hell are they going to keep Wade and Bosh AND get decent role players if he wants the max? And is he still trying to team up with Melo somewhere, or was that just a fleeting idea for him?

EDIT: Also, I would love for him to join up with Kobe on the Lakers. Holy shit...think of the ratings!