Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 916171819

Default Re: Magic Johnson vs. Kobe Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by Yao Ming's Foot
    Efficiency without context means nothing. Did you ever notice that entire league had great efficiency numbers when compared to Kobe's generation?

They don't have remotely similar scoring responsibilities. Kobe has already attempted more than quadruple the amount of three pointers. He's averaged more than Magic's peak scoring season for the last 12 years. Judging scoring on efficiency alone is like judging passing on assist/turnover ratio.
    What some people call context, I call excuses for missing shots.

Quote Originally Posted by Kobe 4 The Win
    What some people call context, I call excuses for missing shots.

Very intelligent rebuttal.

Efficiency without context means nothing. Did you ever notice that entire league had great efficiency numbers when compared to Kobe's generation?

They don't have remotely similar scoring responsibilities. Kobe has already attempted more than quadruple the amount of three pointers. He's averaged more than Magic's peak scoring season for the last 12 years. Judging scoring on efficiency alone is like judging passing on assist/turnover ratio.
    that's actually a really good point and i've never thought of that before. good shit

Decent playground baller Kovach's Avatar

Are you sure you are applying that context yourself? Differing efficiency numbers between eras do not necessarily mean some players would be less efficient. Who today is gonna stop Magic from plowing through the entire defense for a certain layup or his baby hook which he rarely missed?
    Last edited by Kovach; 09-07-2012 at 07:09 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Lakers Legend#32
    Kobe will never, ever be the player or most importantly, the leader, that Magic Johnson was. Magic's greatest Laker title is secure.

One thing that is clearly secure is how retarded you are.

Magic HIMSELF said Kobe is the Greatest Lakers of all Time but YOU who knows nothing about basketball say he will Never? GTFO

You also need to understand it is Very easy for a PG to be a Leader then a SG.

Tards know nothing about basketball besides Stats Sheets. No Logic at all.

The "Greatest" (career, media, things not having to do with bball skills) Laker will always be Magic

The "Best" (Basketball Skills) Laker is Kobe.

Coming from a Kobe hater at that!

National High School Star Nevaeh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kobe 4 The Win
    I don't think he is being remembered as better than he was. I was there and I know exactly how good he was. If anything I think people don't understand how good he was because most of the people here are either 13 years old or they worship Jordan, Kobe or Lebron. Magic and Bird played a style of basketball that is as foreign to the league now as it was when they arrived in 1979-80.
    They both had such an unorthodox style of play that if you saw them taking the court and moving for the first time, you may think they were gonna be scrub players. Seriously, Bird doesn't look like he even likes basketball, let alone being really good at it.

Very intelligent rebuttal.
    You can dress it up any way you want but here is a fact. You shoot the ball and it either goes in or it doesn't. I think the concept of "volume shooters" is total bullshit. Kobe knows how talented and skilled he is. Because of that confidence, he sometimes forces bad contested shots. Anyone with two eyes can see this.

I'm a huge Kobe fan but sometimes I scratch my head about his shot selection. I don't think FG% tells the whole story and I think some people exaggerate Kobe's alleged "shot jacking". However, there are many times when Kobe goes into attack mode and retards our offense and takes his teammates out of their games. I don't think that this point is even arguable at this point. Phil Jackson will tell you that.

Quote Originally Posted by ZaaaaaH

You also need to understand it is Very easy for a PG to be a Leader then a SG.

Its very easy for a PG to first become Leader, and then change positions and become a SG? I'm assuming you didn't mean it that way?

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bl2k8
    I think Magic will always be seen as the GLOAT. A lot of old Laker fans don't like Kobe. This is amongst Laker fans
    There is some old school cats that dislike him, but most cheer for him because they kinda have too.

Answer is Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Force
    Magic is the greatest Laker and Kobe won't catch him.

Magic was a leader from day ONE.

The Captain says hi!

Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote Originally Posted by colts19
    I think all this talk of Kobe being better than Magic is just silly. It's not about scoring, championships or any thing except, the eye test. If you watched them play Magic was clearly the best and it's not close.

When Kobe played with Shaq, Shaq was clearly the best player. When Magic played with Kareem, they were equal the first year, then Magic was clearly the best afterward. I understand that Kareem was getting a little past his prime at the time, but Magic was the driving force, Kobe never was.

As far as the comments about Kobe being better than Bird, please keep this in mind. Bird was a forward. Look at your top ten list and see how many forwards are on it. It is much easier for a ball dominate player like a guard to appear to be the better player. Plus the Center position is always the most important so you will always have a lot of Center's in your top ten. Kobe is not even in my top ten.

1. Wilt
    2. Magic
    3. Kareem
    4. Russell
    5. MJ
    6. Bird
    7. Oscar
    8. Dream
    9. Dr. J
    10. Duncan

I would have Shaq in there but I think they just let him get away with to many offensive charges and he never got close to his potential due to not having the killer instinct. He probably should be in top ten, I just can't put him in my list.
    Magic lost his Finals MVP to Worthy. Kobe lost his to Shaq, perhaps the greatest center of all time.

Anyhow, I still prefer Magic as an owner/teammate, not because of skill or talent, but because of how he plays the game the right way, a better way

Kobe is funner to watch though when he catches fire, and his game is so aesthetically pleasing -- watching him hit tough fadeaways and what not can be fun

Local High School Star

Not a surprise. The most of the people picking Kobe weren't old enough to have watched Magic play. The guy is the GOAT pg. His impact at elevating his entire team's play was top 3 all time along with Russell and Bird. The object of the game is to win; not outscore the guy guarding you. Magic was simply a far greater winner than Kobe could ever hope to be.

Dunking on everybody in the park magictricked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by greymatter
    Magic was simply a far greater winner than Kobe could ever hope to be.
    Yet Kobe has more Winshares than Magic can ever hope to have

Very good NBA starter

Magic is the greatest Laker and Kobe won't catch him.

Magic was a leader from day ONE.
    Love Magic, but

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_kn6kLRs5o

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1kgHXG_Ot8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMIC4zKK_nE
    Last edited by Magic 32; 09-09-2012 at 03:37 PM.