Page 1 of 19 123411 ... LastLast

Default Magic Johnson vs. Kobe Bryant

Who's the better Laker?

Has Kobe surpassed Magic at this point?

Banned

Default Re: Magic Johnson vs. Kobe Bryant

Kobe wins another championship this season, and he surpasses Magic Johnson. It is that simple. As an individual talent, i.e. overall player, Kobe Bryant has been better for a while now. As far as greatness and all time rankings are concerned, Kobe needs another ring to get himself pass Magic.

Last season, if Kobe had won another championship and repeated, he would have been considered the player of the decade. He won the championship, and now he is considered the player of the 2000s decade.

National High School Star

Magic is the greatest Laker and Kobe won't catch him.

Magic was a leader from day ONE. According to Phil, Kobe didn't have good leadership qualities until he was in his 12th season. Actually this whole thing isn't even debatable, Magic's leadership is the best in the history of basketball imo. It's something Kobe has always struggled with.

Magic made ALL of his teammates better and the fact that 6'9" could bring the ball up, so versatile. It's not even a debate imo. Magic >>> Kobe. It's not even a debate.

There will never ever be another player like Magic Johnson. If you weren't around to watch him, you just missed out. Youtube highlights just don't do him justice, he was a floor general, a master of basketball with an INSANE level of ball IQ. He ALWAYS knew what to do and what the right play was. He was always talking basically controlling all the players, he was a coach on the floor.

You've got to remember what the old #8 used to play like. He didn't follow the system well, he was a selfish player and wasn't a good teammate. It's a shame it took him so long to understand things better because his skills are in the top 10-15 in NBA history.

Quote Originally Posted by StateOfMind12
    Kobe wins another championship this season, and he surpasses Magic Johnson. It is that simple. As an individual talent, i.e. overall player, Kobe Bryant has been better for a while now. As far as greatness and all time rankings are concerned, Kobe needs another ring to get himself pass Magic.

Last season, if Kobe had won another championship and repeated, he would have been considered the player of the decade. He won the championship, and now he is considered the player of the 2000s decade.
    Let me guess, you're 25 year olds tops probably even younger. It's not about who ends up with more rings...BTW, Magic 's career ended early, he retired with HIV just months after making it to the NBA finals.

I don't get picked last at the park anymore SFMF's Avatar

The one who went to the finals 9 times in his career.

I usually hit open layups O BaByShaQ's Avatar

Gonna have to wait for kobe's career to end before you start comparing them because at this point its tight.

Dunking on everybody in the park bl2k8's Avatar

I think Magic will always be seen as the GLOAT. A lot of old Laker fans don't like Kobe. This is amongst Laker fans
    Last edited by bl2k8; 02-07-2011 at 04:41 AM.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Force
    Let me guess, you're 25 year olds tops probably even younger. It's not about who ends up with more rings...BTW, Magic 's career ended early, he retired with HIV just months after making it to the NBA finals.
    He came back you moron.

Banned

The Magic Man. He pretty much made the Los Angeles Lakers a brand name.
    Last edited by DeronMillsap; 02-07-2011 at 04:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by StacksOnDeck
    He came back you moron.
    The point is Magic was still playing at a very high level when his career was cut short. Are you going to judge Jordan's career based on his play with the Wizards?

Coming back with HIV after years away from the game equals being way past your prime.

I'm so happy I got to see the Showtime Lakers live in person at the Fabulous Forum.

moron

Magic's the biggest icon IMO.

magic

Local High School Star

The point is Magic was still playing at a very high level when his career was cut short. Are you going to judge Jordan's career based on his play with the Wizards?

Coming back with HIV after years away from the game equals being way past your prime.

I'm so happy I got to see the Showtime Lakers live in person at the Fabulous Forum.

moron
    Point is you're stupid. Kobe's career is on the brink of surpassing Magic's so get over it. Don't make up excuses.

Only on ISH is Magic a bigger icon than Kobe. Kobe's known INTERNATIONALLY. Kobe is the bigger icon and it's not even close.

Serious playground baller MrJohnWall's Avatar

moron
    So its Kobe fault Magic couldnt control his d1ck?????

kobe longetivity, scoring, impact,stats>>>>>Magics

College superstar

I don't like the argument at all.

1. Magic will always have an edge because he came first and played in what is considered the "golden era" of basketball in terms of excitement.

2. Kobe is always criticized for "riding Shaq's coattail" or having a stacked team. Magic had teams just as stacked and also played with Kareem who is a greater Center than Shaq. Most people think Kareem was old by the time he played with Magic. Dude was 28 when he first started and didn't significantly decline until he was 38. Magic and Bird are almost never criticized for their quality of teammates while Kobe is.

3. Kobe is currently playing in the game right now, his career isn't over, and he's got a lot of haters. After he retires and given time, I'm sure we can have a great conversation about who's career was greater.