Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Phil Jackson to make Gasol the first option early in the season?

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal9
    Does he need to be playing to strengthen the knee or something?
    That and he's not in basketball shape yet. The knee is fine. He just needs to play.

Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

It sounds good in theory but hard for me to believe. Not because of Phil or Gasol's ability but because of Kobe Bryant. He may defer for 2-3 games bt that's it unless he breaks his leg or something. Knowing the way he is, he wants to prove the doubters wrong and actually go for the MVP as this season he is one of the favorites after LeBron's antics and him and Wade beibg on the same team. (MVP is a media driven award, lest we forget.)

Anyway, I doubt Gasol will have more shots taken than Kobe after the first 7 games.

Magic Johnson

This is the obvious solution. Since Kobe isn't 100% healthy, give Gasol the green light to take more shots and initiate the offense. It probably won't happen, though. I wouldn't be surprised to see Kobe shooting around 20 per game, even if he isn't healthy.

Gasol should ALWAYS be the first option to start games. The fact that it is even questioned is laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by LA_Showtime
    This is the obvious solution. Since Kobe isn't 100% healthy.

Even a 100% Kobe should not be the first option to start the game.

You establish the post, and then work from there.

Made that high school varsity squad

This was said after the Denver game, but as you saw in the last game against Utah nothing is going to change or needs to change. He seems to be looking better little by little.

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    Gasol should ALWAYS be the first option to start games. The fact that it is even questioned is laughable.
    3 Finals in a row, 2 Championships. Nothing is going to change, cause what is done now is working. Till it stops working nothing is going to change or should change.
    Last edited by JM720; 10-19-2010 at 02:36 PM.

Exactly. Fundamental basketball.

Even a 100% Kobe should not be the first option to start the game.

You establish the post, and then work from there.
    It doesn't mean 1st option, it means the ball goes through him on every possession or him getting a touch every possession. Which sound reasonable.

BTW, Phil Jackson has been a pretty succesful coach with his aproach to the game, so I'm not sure guys like us on a message board know better. We may, it's just not very likely.

Quote Originally Posted by elementally morale
    It doesn't mean 1st option, it means the ball goes through him on every possession or him getting a touch every possession. Which sound reasonable.

BTW, Phil Jackson has been a pretty succesful coach with his aproach to the game, so I'm not sure guys like us on a message board know better. We may, it's just not very likely.

No doubt Phil knows more than us. I also wouldn't doubt he cries a little inside everytime Kobe comes down and takes a low % jumper without Pau even getting a touch.

I personally think the Lakers should run WAY MORE pick and roll / pick and pop with Kobe and Pau. The only time they ever go to it is late in games, and it almost always ends with a positive result.

No doubt Phil knows more than us. I also wouldn't doubt he cries a little inside everytime Kobe comes down and takes a low % jumper without Pau even getting a touch.

I personally think the Lakers should run WAY MORE pick and roll / pick and pop with Kobe and Pau. The only time they ever go to it is late in games, and it almost always ends with a positive result.
    I like Pau taking shots because they are better shots than the ones Kobe takes. Higher percentage shots with more chance of going in. However, Gasol has this opportunity only as long as he is not the 1st option and defenses do not focus on him more than they do on Kobe. Being the 1st option means the you are the main focus of defense. Whenever that happens to Gasol, his shots won't be any easier than Kobe's are right now.

Pass Gasol the ball on every possession and make him decide. He is a good decision makes and a good passer.

Banned

Makes perfect sense. In fact, I'd make Kobe the third option behind Bynum until the last month or so just to keep his legs intact. Might sound a bit crazy, but Kobe is old and he can't play at 100% for a whole season, or even 80% a whole season like he did these past two years.
    However, that would make the team a lot worse. Gasol really isn't first option material.

Quote Originally Posted by magnax1
    Makes perfect sense. In fact, I'd make Kobe the third option behind Bynum until the last month or so just to keep his legs intact. Might sound a bit crazy, but Kobe is old and he can't play at 100% for a whole season, or even 80% a whole season like he did these past two years.
    However, that would make the team a lot worse. Gasol really isn't first option material.
    What a stupid statement

Kobe is 32 hardly past it. Guy averaged 29, 7 and 6 for godsake last year.

The crap you talk about the Lakers in unreal. Even suggesting this is their last year competing for a championship. What a fool

Decent college freshman Calabis's Avatar

I say Kobe coasts through much of the season, putting up 22-24ppg ,then turns it on the last 15-20 games of the regular seasons and playoffs....this will make the Lakers a much more dangerous team. They are going to have to learn to win, without relying on Kobe. When he decides to turn it on(no need to hurt that knee) watch out, a healthy Kobe and confident teammates, rack up another chip imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Calabis
    I say Kobe coasts through much of the season, putting up 22-24ppg ,then turns it on the last 15-20 games of the regular seasons and playoffs....this will make the Lakers a much more dangerous team.
    It is about to happen 2 or 3 years from now. Not this year for sure.

Decent college freshman Calabis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by elementally morale
    It is about to happen 2 or 3 years from now. Not this year for sure.
    What him coasting??? I think he does it this year, that knee is not ready for 82 game season and all the pounding....Kobe will still go all out, but he will curtail his offensive output and conserve some of that wear and tear for when it matters most...I don't see how 22-24 ppg is a bad thing, probably sacrifices 2 to 3 shots a game for Gasol