Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    The Paterfamilias RedBlackAttack's Avatar

Default Re: LMAO @ Dion Waiters

Quote Originally Posted by IncarceratedBob
    Difference is Waiters loves the OKC locker room. According to him it's night and day
    What's he going to say at this point? He's not happy after failing pretty miserably to live up to his place in the draft during his first stop? He really has no choice but to sit back and give lip service at this point, regardless of what he feels.

The cold hard truth is this... the Cavs actually did give Waiters the room and the opportunity to be as good as he thinks he is. He was the team's 2nd option last year. For all his talk about "I actually get the ball here," in OKC, his usage on the Cavaliers was WAY higher than it is with the Thunder.

Last season, he had a usage rate of 26.9%. To put that in perspective, that is quite a bit higher than Kyrie's usage this season. Hell, even this year with LeBron, Kyrie and Love, he had a usage rate of 24.0%.

In OKC, he's down to 21.6% and falling fast. If he really is happy with how things are turning out, he must have come to terms with the idea of being a sometimes contributor, mostly ignored guard who is extremely replaceable.

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
    What's he going to say at this point? He's not happy after failing pretty miserably to live up to his place in the draft during his first stop? He really has no choice but to sit back and give lip service at this point, regardless of what he feels.

The cold hard truth is this... the Cavs actually did give Waiters the room and the opportunity to be as good as he thinks he is. He was the team's 2nd option last year. For all his talk about "I actually get the ball here," in OKC, his usage on the Cavaliers was WAY higher than it is with the Thunder.

Last season, he had a usage rate of 26.9%. To put that in perspective, that is quite a bit higher than Kyrie's usage this season. Hell, even this year with LeBron, Kyrie and Love, he had a usage rate of 24.0%.

In OKC, he's down to 21.6% and falling fast. If he really is happy with how things are turning out, he must have come to terms with the idea of being a sometimes contributor, mostly ignored guard who is extremely replaceable.

to be fair he did perform quite well in those stretches where he was the number 1.

He's just a ball dominant ISO guard. There wasn't room for that on the cavs roster and there isn't room for that on OKC.

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
    to be fair he did perform quite well in those stretches where he was the number 1.

He's just a ball dominant ISO guard. There wasn't room for that on the cavs roster and there isn't room for that on OKC.
    He's just never going to be as good as he thinks he is.

The Cavs were very open about what they wanted Dion's role to be on this team. Basically, they wanted him to take on the role of Wes Matthews. A very good defender who will space the floor and occasionally take advantage of a mismatch to score/playmake.

And, I truly believe Dion -- with a lot of work on adapting his game -- could become that kind of guy. He definitely has the talent and size.

Unfortunately Dion very publicly took even the suggestion that he become "a" piece instead of "the" piece as a great slight. I remember his quote was something like, "You know, I could do all that with focusing on just shooting and playing defense, but my game is about getting to the basket (ie: isolation)."

In other words, I'm too good to take on a role like that. The result was he completely "fit out" here, did his ISO thing every game, helped turn the team/lockerroom into a mess and was promptly sent packing. He didn't seem the least bit interested in self-evaluating, taking a step back and seeing how he'd best fit in.

That has always been his problem and I don't see any light at the end of the tunnel that he'll figure it out. I was always a big supporter of Dion's talent and the fact that he did look good in that stretch as the No. 1 last year, as you said, is the saddest thing about Dion. He is never going to be good enough to be THAT guy on a really good team, but the talent is clearly there for him to be a key component on a really good team.

He just isn't content with that and it'll be his undoing. Watching him in OKC, he does the same ISOing and fancy step-back 20-footers that he did here. Only, his leash will never be as long as it was here as the No. 4 overall pick. With every ISO and step-back horrible shot, that leash will get tighter and tighter.

During the 2 1/2 years I saw him play, he was very inconsistent. TBH, I wanted Harrison Barnes in that draft but everyone saw Dwayne Wade comparisons in his game supposedly. He had some good games the first two years but he cried like a baby last year when he went back to being a sixth man. That's where all the "problems" came from that Luol Deng claimed he saw in the locker room last year. He should of accepted it. Even Mike Brown was smart enough to see the Cavs would be better when Kyrie and Dion are not on the floor at the same time.

If Dion and OKC are happy with how everything turned out, good for them. I like Dion as a player and respect OKC as a team. But as a Cavs fan, I am more than satisfied giving Waiters and some picks up for Mozgov, Smith and Shump.

Quote Originally Posted by jbryan1984
    If Dion and OKC are happy with how everything turned out, good for them. I like Dion as a player and respect OKC as a team. But as a Cavs fan, I am more than satisfied giving Waiters and some picks up for Mozgov, Smith and Shump.
    I'm more than satisfied. It was an incredible trade.

It's just hard for me to imagine that he's happy with how things are going in OKC when he's handling the ball much less, shooting >38% from the field and receiving heavy criticism from a lot of people in Oklahoma City (media, fans, etc).

I have nothing against the guy. I just think he might be one of those guys who never lives up to his talent. The league is riddled with them.

So wait, how is he better than Reggie Jackson?

Quote Originally Posted by Marchesk
    So wait, how is he better than Reggie Jackson?
    Younger and playing on a rookie deal for another couple years. Jackson was a contract problem.

Dunking on everybody in the park

Quote Originally Posted by toneloc103
    He complained about not getting enough shots here and that Kyrie was a ball -hog. Westbrook doesnt even think about passing the ball. he is just a 4th wheel in OKC (behind WB Ibaka and KD) just like he was here. The difference is we are playing MUCH better without him. Godspeed Dion....
    Correction.....

Waiters is actually the fifth wheel in OKC because he's also behind Kanter.

College superstar AintNoSunshine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Yo
    Homer Simpson (your avatar) doing his best Waiters imitation. Just stand there in one spot with your arms up wanting the ball.
    Just inside the 3 point line most likely

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease Crose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JerrySeinfeld
    According to different articles I've read on Westbrook, he has really developed into on of the best leaders in the league, particularly this season. It's my guess that his alpha persona is something easier to rally behind and keep guys like Waiters in check.

LeBron is more of the passive aggresive leadership type. Making comments on twitter, bringing up problems to the media, etc. Not hard to see why someone like Waiters would want to get away from that.
    could you make it any more obvious you are russwest0

Local High School Star KirbyPls's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by protox
    Because there's no pressure for championships.
    Hemlock.

He's an iso-ball chucker team cancer, always was and likely always will be.

He has talent, but it was pretty clear from his clashes with Irving that he didn't want to tone it down and fit into a role that would actually benefit a real NBA team.

Quote Originally Posted by toneloc103
    He complained about not getting enough shots here and that Kyrie was a ball -hog. Westbrook doesnt even think about passing the ball. he is just a 4th wheel in OKC (behind WB Ibaka and KD) just like he was here. The difference is we are playing MUCH better without him. Godspeed Dion....
    4th wheel

try 8th