Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: In which finals Jordan had a better supporting cast...

Quote Originally Posted by 90sgoat
    Divac much better than Cartwright.
    I disagree. Jordan really did beast in the series though, doing everything. But, then again, the Bulls won it in five and almost won it in four. They lost Game 1 by 2 points. So I think the Bulls still would have won.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by 72-10
    thought about it some more and understand the thread now

the ones in bold would win

1991 - Bulls without Jordan vs. Lakers without Magic
    1992 - Bulls without Jordan vs. Portland without Drexler
    1993 - Bulls without Jordan vs. Suns without Barkley
    1996 - Bulls without Jordan vs. Sonics without Payton
    1997 and 1998 - Bulls without Jordan vs. Jazz without Malone

With the Jazz you could really flip a coin

the one I feel most confident about is the Suns
    97 the bulls wins
    98 the jazz win.

Lumping those two years together is really absurd. Pippen was HUGE in 98 for the bulls but he couldn't have been asked to do even one more thing. He literally gave up the rest of his career to do what he did in that series. 97 he could have been asked to carry the bulls and could have.

NBA lottery pick

Despite being the greatest defensive guard that's ever played basketball, Gary Payton did not guard Jordan for most of the series. They mostly used Hersey Hawkins on Jordan. Payton didn't do that well himself, and Kemp was phenomenal. Rodman was the second best player on the Bulls, pretty close to Jordan actually. Rodman set offensive rebounding records in that Finals. It was easily Jordan's worst Finals.
    Kemp did a lot of what he did due to Payton. I feel like the media really wanted to paint Kemp as the better player due to his dunks and highlights, but imo Payton was the better player and he would be missed a LOT more if one guy were to be removed. That said they were close enough that they could be seen as 1a and 2b.

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by 90sgoat
    91 Lakers were clearly better outside Magic.

Worthy was an exceptional scorer. Divac much better than Cartwright. Perkins/Horace is a wash, different strengths, but I suppose Horace could be said to be better. Scott is better than Paxson. That was all MJ.

Suns without Barkley also soundly beat MJ less Bulls, KJ was a 20-10 all star guard, Dan Majerle better than anyone outside Pippen.

Blazers about the same strength advantage Bulls because Pippen better than Porter.

Sonics vs Bulls, Pippen vs Kemp advantage Pippen, Hershey Hawkins/McMillan better than Harper, Rodman/Kukoc better than anything else. Close but advantage Bulls.

Jazz vs Bulls advantage Jazz because of hobbled Pippen, declined Rodman.
    The issue I'd have with the 91 lakers is who's making plays on that team? I like worthy but even getting him the ball might be hard. Magic did everything to setup the offense for that magic team. Though I'm not sure I recall who'd be his backup? Maybe I'm undervaluing their bench.

Quote Originally Posted by dhsilv
    Kemp did a lot of what he did due to Payton. I feel like the media really wanted to paint Kemp as the better player due to his dunks and highlights, but imo Payton was the better player and he would be missed a LOT more if one guy were to be removed. That said they were close enough that they could be seen as 1a and 2b.
    Kemp was the best Sonics player in the 1996 NBA Finals. Maybe not during the season, but in the Finals he was.

The issue I'd have with the 91 lakers is who's making plays on that team? I like worthy but even getting him the ball might be hard. Magic did everything to setup the offense for that magic team. Though I'm not sure I recall who'd be his backup? Maybe I'm undervaluing their bench.
    In the Finals he really didn't have one. He played the most minutes of anyone in the series:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...-vs-bulls.html

College superstar

yep

but not only that, scott/worthy played hurt & i think missed the last game or two in the series.

the lakers would be severely under-manned if you were to remove magic, and just play as is.

yeah what are the Lakers without Magic?

a bunch of talent with no organization

NBA lottery pick

Kemp was the best Sonics player in the 1996 NBA Finals. Maybe not during the season, but in the Finals he was.
    MJ was on Payton a good bit as I recall, but in their two wins payton was HUGE. He had a few weak games and Kemp struggled with foul issues. I dunno, it was close and it was a long time ago, but you're acting like it's cut and dry. I'll disagree with that.

Quote Originally Posted by mehyaM24
    yep

but not only that, scott/worthy played hurt & i think missed the last game or two in the series.

the lakers would be severely under-manned if you were to remove magic, and just play as is.
    Scott and Worthy missed the last game

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...106120LAL.html

NBA lottery pick

yeah what are the Lakers without Magic?

a bunch of talent with no organization
    Yeah that was the highest usage year I recall from magic, I'm too lazy the verify that one, but looking at that team, he was the only legit ball handler.

MJ was on Payton a good bit as I recall, but in their two wins payton was HUGE. He had a few weak games and Kemp struggled with foul issues. I dunno, it was close and it was a long time ago, but you're acting like it's cut and dry. I'll disagree with that.

Kemp also received two of the eleven votes for Finals MVP to none for GP.

Payton wasn't as disappointing as I recall, but I'd still say Kemp.

Dunking on everybody in the park TrueBlue89's Avatar

Lol 2012 Thunder would've destroyed the Heat. Harden & Westbrook would've gone ham

Dunking on everybody in the park

all i know is 2001 76 Sixers beat Laker's without Shaq. Kobe was just never that good

NBA lottery pick

Kemp also received two of the eleven votes for Finals MVP to none for GP.

Payton wasn't as disappointing as I recall, but I'd still say Kemp.
    My point was that Payton setup Kemp throughout that series. Without him Kemp plays worse imo. I don't deny Kemp might have been better in the finals if we ignore the play making.

That said I think the sonics can replace payton better as they had a great bench, but kemp was more unique for that lineup so perhaps I agree with your point as I think it through more.