Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Kevin Garnett has the most defensive rebounds in NBA history

well he did get snubbed with unusual frequency

but Dwight Howard is definitely the greatest defensive player of the past decade

NBA lottery pick

Quote Originally Posted by 72-10
    Do you consider Garnett's generation to be separate from Ben Wallace's or Dwight Howard's?
    Does it really matter? He's had a greater defensive impact though out his career then both of them.

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball
    I remember when you said that KG was the greatest defender of all time - this might be true, but in MJ's first meeting against KG as a Wizard, they were both matched up at SF the whole game - and MJ thoroughly destroyed KG.

The youtube channel "Nobody Touches Jordan" chronicled every possession of the matchup in this video..

MJ scored 14 points on 6-11 (55%) with Garnett guarding him, including 2 assists and 2 TO's (35/6/4 overall).. Compare that to Lebron averaging 9 ppg on 4-12 (35%) against Iggy in Finals.. [COLOR="Green"]Each play with Garnett defending is listed below and linked to the video[/COLOR]:

MJ makes jumpshot on Garnett at 0:28 second mark... 1-1 FG

MJ misses jumpshot on Garnett at 1:05 mark... 1-2

MJ turns it over on Garnett at 2:08 mark

MJ drives by Garnett for assist at 2:29 mark

MJ makes crazy hangtime shot on Garnett at 2:59 mark... 2-3

MJ blows by Garnett but misses layup at 3:08 mark... 2-4

MJ misses pull-up jumper at 3:29 mark... 2-5

MJ makes jumper on Garnett at 3:37 mark... 3-6

MJ blows by Garnett for acrobatic left hand layup at 3:44 mark.. 4-7

MJ blows by Garnett for dunk at 4:00 mark.... 5-8

MJ makes crazy pull-up fadeaway on Garnett at 4:15 mark... 6-9

MJ draws foul on Garnett at 4:30 mark.... 2 made FT's

MJ blows by Garnett but misses easy layup at 5:06 mark.... 6-10

MJ blows by Garnett and gets assist at 5:27 mark..

MJ misses layup on Garnett at 5:51 mark.. 6-11
    so fcuking cringeworthy it's unreal.

Quote Originally Posted by Kungfro
    Does it really matter? He's had a greater defensive impact though out his career then both of them.
    Greater than Howard's? Doubtful. I mean he did win a ring with great defense so I guess that's what you're driving at. Howard played exceptionally well in the 2009 Finals.

Howard was the best defensive player in the world for like four years straight. Garnett has never been quite that good.

More than Russell and Wilt?

i guess we'll never know

pretty easy to rebound the ball when all both teams do is miss

No Dennis Rodman? Surprising..

Rodman only played 900 games and came off the bench in the early stage of his career

Quote Originally Posted by Beastmode88
    so fcuking cringeworthy it's unreal.
    Dude could be on the OT board in a thread about ISIS and still post some Jordan shit. It's absurd.

5-time NBA All-Star

Greater than Howard's? Doubtful. I mean he did win a ring with great defense so I guess that's what you're driving at. Howard played exceptionally well in the 2009 Finals.

Howard was the best defensive player in the world for like four years straight. Garnett has never been quite that good.
    KG was a top three defensive player from 2001 to 2010. KG was vastly superior as a team defender. On three of his teams, the opposing team couldn't get to the basket because KG is a communicator on defense, which is why he had the best defensive team since the rules changed. Plus being a leader helps the team tremendously. DH only won DPOY when the league was depleted of good centers. When DMC was a rookie, one of two scoring centers in the league came into Orlando, the DPOY was taken off of the rookie without being in foul trouble. Despite all of this being before his prime at 25 years old, he never won DPOY afterwards. He was seemingly healthy the last two years.

No way do I have DH above Duncan or Wallace or KG. Not even in that first tier. He wasn't as smart, wasn't a leader, only blocked shots better than KG, didn't communicate on defense, committed dumb fouls, and wasn't the one on one defender, wasn't the team defender, nor was a very serious player.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    KG was a top three defensive player from 2001 to 2010. KG was vastly superior as a team defender. On three of his teams, the opposing team couldn't get to the basket because KG is a communicator on defense, which is why he had the best defensive team since the rules changed. Plus being a leader helps the team tremendously. DH only won DPOY when the league was depleted of good centers
    This would be a good point if it weren't for the fact that Howard had no other good defenders on his team. The perimeter defense was not good and allowed constant penetration to the lane. Howard had to guard both his man and the man going or rolling to the basket. And he was able to do it because he is Dwight Howard. Howard was essentially guarding every scoring opportunity against Orlando that wasn't a three, and then he was battling for the defensive boards on the threes. So I think Howard was at least as good of a team defender - despite me not seeing as much of Garnett, and despite Garnett communicating with his teammates.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    No way do I have DH above Duncan or Wallace or KG. Not even in that first tier. He wasn't as smart, wasn't a leader, only blocked shots better than KG, didn't communicate on defense, committed dumb fouls, and wasn't the one on one defender, wasn't the team defender, nor was a very serious player.
    What a joke. Howard has been the best rebounder in the world for like seven years straight. Only now is Drummond overtaking him. Howard's rebound rate is higher than Garnett's. He led the league in rebounding more than Garnett. He had more rebounds than Garnett. He had more rebounds per game than Garnett. He had more offensive rebounds than Garnett. He's on pace to break Garnett's defensive rebounds record. In what way is Garnett a better rebounder.

Garnett had to save more energy for offense though. He had to carry his team more than Howard did, not defensively though. Garnett is a greater player, but not a better defender. No way.

Howard doesn't communicate much and he does make dumb fouls, I do agree there.

5-time NBA All-Star

This would be a good point if it weren't for the fact that Howard had no other good defenders on his team. The perimeter defense was not good and allowed constant penetration to the lane. Howard had to guard both his man and the man going or rolling to the basket. And he was able to do it because he is Dwight Howard. Howard was essentially guarding every scoring opportunity against Orlando that wasn't a three, and then he was battling for the defensive boards on the threes. So I think Howard was at least as good of a team defender - despite me not seeing as much of Garnett, and despite Garnett communicating with his teammates.
    One year he was truly great with switching off of his man and making the block. He had great feet and could jump fast like Ben Wallace. KG had the Celtic defense move like an amoeba. You couldn't penetrate it at all. That's why he has some of craziest defensive impact numbers, mostly advanced stats, but the eye test was equally impressive if you saw Kobe dismantle SA that year and totally not getting to the rim against the Celtics.

What a joke. Howard has been the best rebounder in the world for like seven years straight. Only now is Drummond overtaking him. Howard's rebound rate is higher than Garnett's. He led the league in rebounding more than Garnett.
    Who ever said anything about rebounding??? And why do people use emoticons when they imagine things??

Nor do I feel there were any great rebounders during DH's time. Wallace and Duncan were better rebounders than any of them and they were KG's contemporaries.
    He had more rebounds than Garnett. He had more rebounds per game than Garnett. He had more offensive rebounds than Garnett. He's on pace to break Garnett's defensive rebounds record. In what way is Garnett a better rebounder.

Garnett had to save more energy for offense though. He had to carry his team more than Howard did, not defensively though. Garnett is a greater player, but not a better defender. No way.

Howard doesn't communicate much and he does make dumb fouls, I do agree there.
    KG didn't play defense as close to the basket as Wallace, Duncan or DH, he could guard a sf and still get 12 boards. He was primarily the set up man in Minny which eliminated many chances of him getting offensive rebounds. KG was versatile enough that his many functions didn't interfere with all aspects of the game. Its the main reason I say he's a better rebounder than rest.

When DJ had a coach that told him rebounding was a priority he's been the best rebounder these past two years. Its that easy these days: It used to be only the guys that really loved rebounding were the best at it.

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball
    I remember when you said that KG was the greatest defender of all time - this might be true, but in MJ's first meeting against KG as a Wizard, they were both matched up at SF the whole game - and MJ thoroughly destroyed KG.

The youtube channel "Nobody Touches Jordan" chronicled every possession of the matchup in this video..

MJ scored 14 points on 6-11 (55%) with Garnett guarding him, including 2 assists and 2 TO's (35/6/4 overall).. Compare that to Lebron averaging 9 ppg on 4-12 (35%) against Iggy in Finals.. [COLOR="Green"]Each play with Garnett defending is listed below and linked to the video[/COLOR]:

MJ makes jumpshot on Garnett at 0:28 second mark... 1-1 FG

MJ misses jumpshot on Garnett at 1:05 mark... 1-2

MJ turns it over on Garnett at 2:08 mark

MJ drives by Garnett for assist at 2:29 mark

MJ makes crazy hangtime shot on Garnett at 2:59 mark... 2-3

MJ blows by Garnett but misses layup at 3:08 mark... 2-4

MJ misses pull-up jumper at 3:29 mark... 2-5

MJ makes jumper on Garnett at 3:37 mark... 3-6

MJ blows by Garnett for acrobatic left hand layup at 3:44 mark.. 4-7

MJ blows by Garnett for dunk at 4:00 mark.... 5-8

MJ makes crazy pull-up fadeaway on Garnett at 4:15 mark... 6-9

MJ draws foul on Garnett at 4:30 mark.... 2 made FT's

MJ blows by Garnett but misses easy layup at 5:06 mark.... 6-10

MJ blows by Garnett and gets assist at 5:27 mark..

MJ misses layup on Garnett at 5:51 mark.. 6-11

College superstar

Garnett and Howard played two different positions throughout most of their prime years. KG naturally played power forward in an era that was dominated by great Superstar power forwards. Dwight's prime years were in an era that had shitty centers. Yao Ming was better than prime Dwight when he was a 100% healthy... Hell even a role player like D-Mo got a better post up game than Dwight. Dwight's still good on defense but is garbage on offense. Hell I've even seen Andrew Bogut and Deandre Jordan lock Dwight down on defense, and Dwight is supposed to be a superior player compared to them.
    Last edited by MiseryCityTexas; 12-13-2015 at 08:58 PM.