Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    7-time NBA All-Star

Default Most talented teams in the league year by year post-merger

Not how good the team is or how well the players complement each other, just the most talented team each year.

2014- Los Angeles Clippers
    2013- Miami Heat
    2012- Miami Heat
    2011- Miami Heat
    2010- Denver Nuggets
    2009- Boston Celtics
    2008- Boston Celtics
    2007- Phoenix Suns
    2006- San Antonio Spurs
    2005- Phoenix Suns
    2004- Los Angeles Lakers
    2003- Sacramento Kings
    2002- Sacramento Kings
    2001- Portland Trailblazers
    2000- Portland Trailblazers
    1999- Portland Trailblazers
    1998- Los Angeles Lakers
    1997- Chicago Bulls
    1996- Chicago Bulls
    1995- Phoenix Suns
    1994- Seattle Supersonics
    1993- Phoenix Suns
    1992- Portland Trailblazers
    1991- Portland Trailblazers
    1990- Detroit Pistons
    1989- Detroit Pistons
    1988- Detroit Pistons
    1987- Los Angeles Lakers
    1986- Boston Celtics
    1985- Los Angeles Lakers
    1984- Los Angeles Lakers
    1983- Los Angeles Lakers
    1982- Los Angeles Lakers
    1981- Los Angeles Lakers
    1980- Los Angeles Lakers
    1979- Washington Bullets
    1978- Philadelphia 76ers
    1977- Philadelphia 76ers

Obviously, even with injuries, if I felt there was a large enough sample size to judge the team when healthy I still went with them such as the '09 Celtics and '04 Lakers.

Anyway, the years I'm most unusure of are.

1983- Sixers had won 58 games and lost in game 6 of the finals to LA the previous year, and then essentially added the best player in the league in both '82 and '83 by a clear margin(Moses Malone) while losing an inferior center Caldwell Jones for Moses to replace. Along with Moses, they had another all-nba 1st team superstar in Dr. J, a 3rd option Andrew Toney who was one of the league's most explosive scorers and shooters and averaged 25 ppg himself in the 10 games Dr. J missed, plus a 4th Sixer who made the all-star team in Mo Cheeks who was one of the league's best defensive guards. Hell, they essentially had 5 all-star caliber players since Bobby Jones minutes were dropped to 23.6 mpg in '83, but he was then voted 6th man of the year, had been an all-star in both '81 and '82 and was a perennial all-defensive 1st team guy dating back to his ABA days. So despite a huge drop off after their top 5 players, how many teams with 2 superstars(including the best player in the league) have a total of 5 all-star caliber players?

But, if I give the Sixers '83, how do I justify giving it to LA in '84? Despite the Sixers underachieving in '84, they had the same team, and while Magic improved noticeably in '84, Kareem's decline was also pretty noticeable and they took a step back in terms of talent losing Norm Nixon and replacing him with a rookie Byron Scott.

Actually, the '85 Sixers have a pretty good case over LA as well. Philly still had the championship core of Moses, Dr. J, Toney, Cheeks and Jones. They were older, but Moses was still one of the best players in the league finishing all-nba 1st team and 3rd in MVP voting, while Dr. J still averaged 20 per game, and they also had Barkley in his rookie year!

1996- Chicago was better than Orlando, but Orlando was younger, and many at the time probably would have said more talented individually. They were predicted to be the next dynasty. A slightly past-prime Jordan was better than a slightly pre-prime Shaq, but probably not more talented, while Pippen was a better player than Penny, but not by that much, and not individually more talented. Meanwhile, Rodman was clearly better than any 3rd guy on the Magic, but people do tend to think of offense more when it comes to talent. And I would take Kukoc over Anderson or Scott, but Anderson and Scott were legit scorers themselves, while Chicago only had 3 such players in Jordan, Pippen and Kukoc, and Horace Grant was an underrated player. Very good power forward, but Chicago was deeper. After the top 5, Orlando's only decent role player was Brian Shaw, a good defensive guard with length, but Shaw wasn't an incredible player(6.6 ppg on 6.5 FGA, just 37.5 FG%, only 28.5 3P% even with the shortened line and a 46.3 TS% as well as a horrible 24.4 TO%) while Chicago had better role players in Harper, Kerr and Longley. That's why I went with Chicago.

1997- The Bulls pretty much had their '96 team except Jason Caffey who as a legit offensive 4 who could score with his mid-range and post game. Meanwhile, LA did have Shaq just 1 year from his prime at 25, Eddie Jones who wasn't as good as Pippen, but one of the best two-way guards, Nick Van Exel who could be a knucklehead, but could also take over a game, Elden Campbell whose effectiveness was limited when Shaq was in the game, but a very talented low post player himself...similar to the Armen Gilliam situation with Barkley in the early 90's, Robert Horry when he was a lean, athletic small forward similar to his prime Houston days, and while 18 year old Kobe was a non-factor playing 15.5 mpg off the bench, but there's no doubt he was an exceptional talent who could already get his own shot and score. The bulls had better players, especially among their top 4, but more talented? I'm not sure.

2006- Very tough year. I thought about Dallas who had a ton of offensive firepower on the perimeter around Dirk, Phoenix who had Nash and two of the league's most versatile forwards in Marion and Diaw as well as a seemingly endless supply of shooters, and Detroit with arguably the league's best starting 5 and a very good big man coming off the bench in McDyess. However, I chose the Spurs because they had 3 all-star caliber players in their prime with Duncan, Parker and Ginobili, arguably the league's best wing defender in Bowen who could also hit corner 3s, Horry who was always a solid role player and then great backcourt depth with Finley and Barry shooting/scoring threats themselves.

2010- I went with Denver for depth and offensive firepower, I mean they had Melo in his best year as a Nugget, Billups who averaged a career-high in scoring, a nice big man trio in Nene, K-Mart and Birdman, a solid two-way role player in Afflalo, Jr who is a knucklehead, but there's no denying his talent. Dude can light it up and go off foe 35-40 off the bench and a real threat in Ty Lawson backing up Billups! But I did strongly consider LA and Boston so I'm willing to hear arguments for them.

2011- I was reluctant to pick Miami because of how top-heavy they were, though they did at least have shooting, defending and rebounding around their big 3. I primarily went with Miami because they were such an obvious consensus for most talented similar to the 2000 Blazers and 2004 Lakers. But I also consider LA who had Kobe, Pau, Bynum healthy for once in the playoffs and Odom in probably his best season in the NBA. Boston is a candidate, but the center position is a problem because Shaq's injury was career-ending at 39 so I can't really consider him and they were left with a broken down Jermaine O'Neal. Then there's the Spurs who were very deep, still had Manu and Parker in their primes and won 61 games with their new offense.

Actually, the Spurs are tough because of their depth from 2012-2014, you could make a case for them every year, but they're not the first team I think of in terms of individual talent, and I'm not sure how to judge them as far as talent vs the system and coaching.

Thoughts on any year? Add anything you'd like to the discussion. Remember, this is NOT the best team, but the most talented each year.

Default Re: Most talented teams in the league year by year post-merger

kobe da underdog

bran is a fagt with stacked squads

7-time NBA All-Star

Both have had help when they won, and played exceptional to do it. Same with Shaq, Jordan, Bird ect. Lets not turn this into one of those things, please.

That's not what this is about.

Banned

Do you think the Clippers were by far the most talented team this past season? I see that being said a lot. But I'd say it's a toss up between LAC/HOU/OKC imo

First Kobe fan on ISH JohnFreeman's Avatar

How does CP3 and Griffin get away with such choking?

Sunshine State

Quote Originally Posted by JohnFreeman
    They don't, no one expects them to be good that's why.

No matter how stacked that Clippers team gets they always fall short so it's best just to expect them to go nowhere.

A Humble Lebron Fan Dragic4Life's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Le Shaqtus

No matter how stacked that Clippers team gets they always fall short so it's best just to expect them to go nowhere.
    WHAT???? The best PG in the league and a top 3 PF in the league isn't expected to be good?

loser ass mentality

I bet this is how you always feel about the shitty magic

First Kobe fan on ISH JohnFreeman's Avatar

CP3 has to be the most overrated player

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by JohnFreeman

People would shit on them if they lost to anyone not named the thunder or spurs. And CP3 doesnt really "get away" with choking

I would disagree with some years. 2001 specially. Lakers weren't stacked but just have Shaq and Kobe made them the best team in the league. The role players weren't brilliant but they were efficient.

Quote Originally Posted by Genaro
    I would disagree with some years. 2001 specially. Lakers weren't stacked but just have Shaq and Kobe made them the best team in the league. The role players weren't brilliant but they were efficient.
    Yea, when you have arguably the 2 best in the game, that's enough....

Otherwise 2011 wouldn't say Miami either... But that would be dumb.

My List:

2014- Los Angeles Clippers/Thunder - Rockets/Warriors/Spurs
    2013- Miami Heat/Thunder/Lakers/Pacers/Spurs
    2012- Oklahoma City Thunder (Come on now) - Lakers / Spurs / Heat
    2011- Miami Heat
    2010- Los Angeles Lakers / Boston Celtics
    2009- Boston Celtics / Los Angeles Lakers
    2008- Boston Celtics
    2007- Phoenix Suns
    2006- San Antonio Spurs
    2005- Phoenix Suns
    2004- Los Angeles Lakers
    2003- Sacramento Kings - Dallas Mavericks/Los Angeles Lakers
    2002- Sacramento Kings - Los Angeles Lakers
    2001- Los Angeles Lakers
    2000- Portland Trailblazers
    1999- Portland Trailblazers
    1998- Los Angeles Lakers
    1997- Chicago Bulls
    1996- Chicago Bulls
    1995- Phoenix Suns
    1994- Seattle Supersonics
    1993- Phoenix Suns
    1992- Portland Trailblazers
    1991- Portland Trailblazers
    1990- Detroit Pistons
    1989- Detroit Pistons
    1988- Detroit Pistons
    1987- Los Angeles Lakers
    1986- Boston Celtics
    1985- Los Angeles Lakers
    1984- Los Angeles Lakers
    1983- Los Angeles Lakers
    1982- Los Angeles Lakers
    1981- Los Angeles Lakers
    1980- Los Angeles Lakers

Not sure about the next teams before the 2000's...

Hard to define. I say: Talented/Stacked/Loaded... Superstars win.

Take the Top 5 Players in the League, usually one of them will end up winning. Look at their Supporting Casts, the one with the best help usually has the most loaded / talented team... Basically, the titles from 2008-2010 were Kobe's to win... All other top guys in the league at the time, LeBron/Wade/Dirk, were left on mediocre rosters... The only superstar with a good, great team, was Kobe... Howard's was complimentary and got hot in '09.

Or, simply exclude the best player... Others say, Cast/Team/Roster = Talented + Deep... The 2 factors.

Good call on Nuggets 2010.

Top 1 Bball Mind.

I'd put OKC for 2012 and this year...but it's debatable...