Default Would Dwight be "just another" Darryl Dawkins in the 80s?

Meaning something similar

?

Also an athletic freak, Dawkins was actually about 2 inches taller than Dwight and entered the NBA when he was 19 years old, coming in at 250 lbs (Dwight was 240) and reaching about 270 later on. He didn't have all that great skill but had some moves with a solid enough post-game, not a bad shooter from close to mid range also and could actually hit his FT's at about a 70% clip.
    Darryl was actually a pretty good shot-blocker and intimidator, not as good of a defensive player as Dwight but not all that far. The gap in rebounding is bigger though, pretty considerable one. Dawkins also that goofy, funny dude (never had that really hard working mentality) but could be a bad motha****a too, more than Dwight.

That's from watching them play and of course you can also check out the stats but Dawkins went up against Kareem, Moses, Sikma, Parish, Walton, Lanier, Unseld, Cowens, Hakeem, Ewing, Gilmore, so on... some in their prime, some not really but easily better competition than Dwight, take it for what it is.

In his prime years, Dawkins was putting up like 14/7 with 1.5 bpg, on 57% fg(always amongst the best) and 70% ft, playing only around 27 mpg. He never was all-nba or all-defensive, never an all-star.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sYJ2ItXiRo
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmcpXiKclIM
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z3fwYgxjQQ
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqPkRVFO11o

Imo, Dwight would definitely be better but not all that far ahead and obviously not as "reckoned" as nowadays, not even close.

Default Re: Would Dwight be "just another" Darryl Dawkins in the 80s?

Dwight is one of the most mentally soft players in the game today. If we drop him in the renaissance of centers, I dont think he even makes the league. If he does, he plays a couple years then is released, gets addicted to coke and dies.

NBA rookie of the year HOoopCityJones's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IncarceratedBob
    Dwight is one of the most mentally soft players in the game today. If we drop him in the renaissance of centers, I dont think he even makes the league. If he does, he plays a couple years then is released, gets addicted to coke and dies.
    Dwight will be exposed after this run.

If things don't go well in Houston , I don't see how any exec would wanna max this guy out again.

With Embiid coming into the league , Dwight wont be the only Center worth talking about anymore , so his days are numbered unless he makes the most out of his time with the Rockets.

His contract says it all, 4 yrs with a 3rd year option. He's ready to jump ship at the first sign of trouble.

Banned

If we drop him in the renaissance of centers, I dont think he even makes the league.

stupid troll

You're messed up

nah he wouldn't

Dawkins was a foul machine.

Dwight was a legit defensive anchor. His impact was more Mourning than Dawkins.

Learning to shoot layups

He would barelly reach top 5 centers status, but sure, he would be a good center in the 80's.

Banned

maybe if he played back then coaches would have been hard on him and forced him to develop a legit offensive game, or to just focus up on defense and setting and rolling from screens properly. He might be a completely different player if he grew up at that time.

Current Dwight was coddled from a young age by all his coaches and people around him and really screwed him up mentally and skillwise.

I usually hit open layups

damn!

Made that high school varsity squad

Local High School Star Stringer Bell's Avatar

Maybe. Dwight obviously has had a better career and gets the edge due to his advantages in defense and rebounding, but is fortunate to be in this crap era of centers.

Dawkins had a pretty nice mid-range game. I've been watching old Sixers games and I was kind of surprised by it.

Not related to their games, but Dawkins was funny and a great sports personality. Dwight tries to be like that, but he is unfunny and amazingly corny. He is Magic Johnson x 10 in corniness.