Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
    Biased Troll

Default Re: Who do you think is THE most over rated player in the league?

Quote Originally Posted by shaq's--lakers
    Chris Bosh and Carlos Boozer
    Well how theyve played compared to how coveted they were last offseason I'd say thats a good point, but right now I don't think too many people are over rating them.

Quote Originally Posted by JMT
    Anthony. Does only one thing consistently well, has never shown the ability to lead a team in the post season, and is supposedly in his prime.

Worst of all, he has the ability to do the other things he should like rebound, defend and pass, but simply doesn't put any effort into it.
    Melo is a great scorer and rebounder(for his position), he led the best team he's ever had to the WCF but just ran into the Lakers.

He's definitely below average/average defensively and passing wise he's pretty solid actually(played well in his pointforward role with the Knicks with Billups was out)

People love to hate on Melo for some reason(not saying you are) I think it's because of that incident against the Knicks when he slapped some random player. Melos really grown since then, he's only overrated if you think he's top 5. I think he's top 10 pretty easily.

Biased Troll

Quote Originally Posted by tpols
    Kobe averaged 25/5/5 on 49% eFG.

For comparison sake, Wade averaged 26/5/6 on 52% eFG. They have identical numbers except wade has 3% higher efficiency. Kobe's efficiency is still very good at 49%. Michael Jordan averaged this efficiency for his career.

Wade has played half the minutes of kobe and is still in his prime while kobe is not. Kobe also takes a lot more jumpshots, yet his efficiency is only 3% below Wade's, and wade is one of the most efficient guards of all time.

Joke thread
    Wade is good on defense which is a huge part of the game, in addition to being more efficient on offense as a scorer and a better passer as well.

But can I ask you something.

Why is Kobe so special to you? Do you have some sort of bond with him where you'd rather defend him than just speak honestly about the league and basketball in general. You have some special connection to Kobe that when someone legitimately passes him in ability you'd rather cover your ears and eyes and sing "lalalala" rather than just admit it?

I dont understand this sentiment. Why do people have agendas for certain players? Don't you like the sport itself the most or are you really that infatuated with Kobe Bryant?

NBA rookie of the year

Kobe. Very questionable ball i.q. Scores a lot of points, but takes a lot of shots to do it (shots he doesn't have to take). Basically has never really done anything without great team mates carrying the lion's share of the load. When he was forced to carry a team the way guys like Nowitzki and LeBron have done, he's either not made the playoffs or lost in the first round. Convincingly. When he does have great team mates, he either rides them to championships or, on the occasions when they don't play up to snuff, he flames out dramatically without copping any blame (Game 6, 2008 Finals; Game 4, 2011 WCSF). Not as clutch as the hype would suggest, not as good a defender, not as versatile a scorer. Not much of a passer, even when he tries to be. Has arguably never been the best player in the NBA. Destructive ego. Etc.
    Last edited by Scoooter; 05-20-2011 at 06:48 PM.

National High School Star Nevaeh's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rysio
    Ummm kobe's the best closer in the game. if he's overrated then everyone is.
    No Kidding. When he was ready for his team's Playoff run to end, he ended it as a Leader in emphatic fashion (getting swept). That's how you close sh!t out when you don't want another 3-peat for your team.

Another Laker Dynasty? bleedinpurpleTwo's Avatar

Kobe averaged 25/5/5 on 49% eFG.

For comparison sake, Wade averaged 26/5/6 on 52% eFG. They have identical numbers except wade has 3% higher efficiency. Kobe's efficiency is still very good at 49%. Michael Jordan averaged this efficiency for his career.

Wade has played half the minutes of kobe and is still in his prime while kobe is not. Kobe also takes a lot more jumpshots, yet his efficiency is only 3% below Wade's, and wade is one of the most efficient guards of all time.

Joke thread
    ^^^this guy brought some real info.
    I think most folks now realize that, at 33 years of age and about the same NBA mileage as MJ when he retired, Kobe is not the elite player he once was. Top 10? yes, and that is fairly remarkable at his age.
    I would not say he is over rated.

Melo perhaps.
    Its hard to say... I don't see a lot of over-rating out there right now.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FourthTenor
    Wade is good on defense which is a huge part of the game, in addition to being more efficient on offense as a scorer and a better passer as well.

But can I ask you something.
    Better Passing? Kobe averaged more assists this year.

And he plays in a system that stresses the extra pass unlike miami's freelance system.

Wade obviously was the better defender. As players get older they start to lose that part of their game. I guarantee you wade wont be locking people down in his 15th season either.

As far as scoring goes, look up the clutch stats. Kobe BLOWS wade out of the water. It's not even close. Kobe is a more effective scorer with the game on the line and he had just as big an impact offensively for lakers as wade did offensively for the heat.

You treat kobe like another 'pop star', a fake player who gets by on hype. You think you play the role of the unbiased spectator who puts everyone else into place but your reality is just as distorted as theirs. You just cant admit it.

Kobe is regarded as an all time great by every intelligent poster on this forum so whose really wrong here? You're no better than the ashbellies or hulks that run this forum.

Good High School Starter Mach_3's Avatar

Doesn't have to be between those two, I just personally had those guys at a tie.
    In that case i'd have to go with Rose slightly edging out Kobe. I like the kid, i really do, but his stan's are starting to make him unbearable

Rose, Kobe and maybe Durant

Better Passing? Kobe averaged more assists this year.

And he plays in a system that stresses the extra pass unlike miami's freelance system.
    Wade had to share the ball with Lebron and you already know historically he averages more assists

As far as scoring goes, look up the clutch stats.
    Clutch is relative. Some have it where it's the final few minutes of the game some the final minute some last second shots.

You treat kobe like another 'pop star', a fake player who gets by on hype.
    These past few years he has been getting by on hype based on his prior success.

Kobe is regarded as an all time great by every intelligent poster on this forum so whose really wrong here?
    Hence the hype based on his success despite the fact his recent numbers don't warrant that.

Dunking on everybody in the park shaq's--lakers's Avatar

Well how theyve played compared to how coveted they were last offseason I'd say thats a good point, but right now I don't think too many people are over rating them.
    Bingo

ESPN called Bosh and Boozer the 3 and 4 best Free Agents.

Meanwhile, Amare went to the WCF and dropped 42 on the Lakers

Proves idiots wrong Human Error's Avatar

Kobe and Carmelo are two most overrated players in the league. Majority of people still think Kobe is a better basketball player than LeBron and Kobe is a better defender than Wade. As for Carmelo majority of people think Carmelo is as good as Durant and Dirk Nowitzki. It's just plain disgusting.

Root Of All Evil

Probably LeBron. And I say that because his versatility on offense has dramatically shrunk with his complete inability to get to the rim anymore off the dribble. Yet people are still acting as if he's this unstoppable force of nature that he used to be. It's ridiculous. He's dramatically improved his shooting, by becoming more consistent from mid-range ... but he's not even close to being as dynamic of a scorer and play maker that he was just a season ago.

Proves idiots wrong Human Error's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Samurai Swoosh
    Probably LeBron. And I say that because his versatility on offense has dramatically shrunk with his complete inability to get to the rim anymore off the dribble. Yet people are still acting as if he's this unstoppable force of nature that he used to be. It's ridiculous. He's dramatically improved his shooting, by becoming more consistent from mid-range ... but he's not even close to being as dynamic of a scorer and play maker that he was just a season ago.
    There's no problem in overrating the best player in the league.

Jazz | Utes | Raiders UtahJazzFan88's Avatar

I will agree that Kobe was pretty overrated THIS YEAR, but any other year it would be an absolute no. I didn't find him to be efficient in the regular season at all, his defense wasn't anything special. Still one of or the greatest in the game right now, but Top 5 in MVP voting? No way. The clutchness wasn't really there this year like in the past.

Joe Johnson is also overrated, Russel Westbrook was overrated.

As a Jazz fan, Devin Harris is overrated IMO.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KOLBCTEW
    Wade had to share the ball with Lebron and you already know historically he averages more assists
    Kobe has to share the ball with the guys on his team too. Wade had the ball in his hands just as much as kobe did throughout the year so he had just as many opportunities to gather assists. Kobe had more in the end though.
    Clutch is relative. Some have it where it's the final few minutes of the game some the final minute some last second shots.
    http://www.82games.com/1011/CSORT11.HTM
    Clutch may be relative, but by setting fair and workable parameters, it can be quantified to some extent. And kobe has been way, way more productive in this category for his team than wade has.

Like I said it's not close.

These past few years he has been getting by on hype based on his prior success.

Hence the hype based on his success despite the fact his recent numbers don't warrant that.
    Kobe averaged 29/6/6 last postseason run.. thats why everyone was still calling him the best in the game. Those are incredible numbers.

And his regular season was very productive and efficient too. He put up 25/5/5 on limited minutes.