Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Dennis Rodman is underrated.

Quote Originally Posted by DOUBLE DRIBBLE
    You got take for account the system Nash played in... they didn't rely on defense. Nash isn't as bad defensively as it appears. Don't get me wrong... Not saying he is good on D because he isn't but playing in that system doesn't help either. There have been other MVP's that weren't good defenders too. You do know it's called "most valuable player" right? Not best player.
    There is no offense in any sport that allows a team to negate defense.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by no pun intended
    Then Ben Wallace must be overrated.
    Ben Wallace was a shotblocking/intimidating presence inside (3.3 bpg average over his 3 year prime). Rodman provided none of that.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Fatal9
    cool fact: Rodman averaged more ppg in the '96 playoff run than Bynum did in the '09 run.
    Rodman also played twice as many mpg (34 vs. 17).

National High School Star

Wrong. He is one of the most overrated PFs of all time and does not belong anywhere near the HOF.

You got take for account the system Nash played in... they didn't rely on defense. Nash isn't as bad defensively as it appears. Don't get me wrong... Not saying he is good on D because he isn't but playing in that system doesn't help either. There have been other MVP's that weren't good defenders too. You do know it's called "most valuable player" right? Not best player.

I really don't want to turn this into a Nash debate (he's actually one of my fav players to watch), or a debate over what the MVP means. I just find it hard to believe that a guy who doesn't play a lick of D is the most valuable player in the NBA... and Nash isn't the first to win MVP predominately because of his offensive display.

Ultimately, the game is played on two sides of the court. Offense will always get more accolades, but defense at least has to be a consideration.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer SoCalMike's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    Hardly underrated.

Fantastic rebounder and great defender, but a complete liability on the offensive end. We're talking about a guy who averaged under 6ppg on ~44%, and shot ~55% from the FT line in his 3 year tenure with the Bulls.
    this...

what is underrated about him? he constantly gets due credit for his defense and rebounding so i am not sure why this thread even exists. he was a fantastic role player, plain and simple.

the worm definitely rocks.

Actually, rodman was a very good offensesive player. He was never asked to score in chicago. And id say his low fg% was more a case of shooting jumpers and taking multiple tip in shots while battling the greatest collection of centers and pfs the league has ever had in an era. And on those nights that teams tried to double off him, he'd get 20 plus boards with half of them being on th OFFENSIVE end.

He should be in the hall.

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    There is no offense in any sport that allows a team to negate defense.
    Some teams put more of an emphasis on offense than defense.... and when that happens their defense suffers. Am I being clear, do you understand what I'm trying to say? lol

Quote Originally Posted by OldSchoolBBall
    Ben Wallace was a shotblocking/intimidating presence inside (3.3 bpg average over his 3 year prime). Rodman provided none of that.
    Wow, I don't know who you hate more kobe or any bull that played from 85 to 98 not named jordan. Ben wallace would've never done what he did in the early 2000s had he played in the 90s and 80s. Rodman is wayyyyyy better than him. I hate when you post cuz you make jordan fans look bad.

Some teams put more of an emphasis on offense than defense.... and when that happens their defense suffers. Am I being clear, do you understand what I'm trying to say? lol
    You mean bend but don't break. Even if nash played in another system, he's not a good/on the ball defender. He gets beat far too often, is always out of position, is too slow, not quick enough, can't jump etc. Other than that, hes a good defender

NBA rookie of the year

Wow, I don't know who you hate more kobe or any bull that played from 85 to 98 not named jordan. Ben wallace would've never done what he did in the early 2000s had he played in the 90s and 80s. Rodman is wayyyyyy better than him. I hate when you post cuz you make jordan fans look bad.
    Explain to me how an 8 pt/13 reb/3+ blk current DPOY player (during his 3 year prime) is WAAAAAAAAY worse than a 5 pt/15 reb/0.5 blk former DPOY player? Your assertion is laughable. Wallace may be worse (I don't believe he is), but LMAO @ "waaaaay" worse.

Super Ultra Sexy Hero SinJackal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    and he hardly was focused and playing hard all the time. Did people actually see the players play that they are talking about? there was a year with SA where he actively destroyed their playoffs.

btw, is the new thing on this board going to be to try to discredit Jordan to give lebron props?
    Exactly. I'm glad somebody else around here has ACTUALLY watched the guy play. He was a serious liability when he played with SA, and every so often he decides to just quit during games even with the Bulls, committing stupid fouls, letting the guy he's on have better defensive position so he can try and pump up his rebounding numbers.

He was an ass with a ton of baggage. His defense is overrated because he "decides" when he "feels like it", and does not defense well all the time. He's like Tyrus Thomas now. Looks great at time, and other times it's like dude are you even trying? Wtf?

Actually, rodman was a very good offensesive player. He was never asked to score in chicago. And id say his low fg% was more a case of shooting jumpers and taking multiple tip in shots while battling the greatest collection of centers and pfs the league has ever had in an era. And on those nights that teams tried to double off him, he'd get 20 plus boards with half of them being on th OFFENSIVE end.

He should be in the hall.
    He bricked wide open point blank layups, and barely shot 50% from the free throw line. He was not a good offensive player. In fact, this clown is known for bricking his own shot and catching his own rebound to pump up his rebounding numbers.

He was a clown who ruined team chemistry and quit randomly. He played defense in spots, and did little else but rebound the ball. I would gladly tae a 9-10 boards a game guy who plays D' ALL the time at an above average but not great rate, and does not brick open layups over Rodman. Assuming the other guy isn't a cancer in the locker room who quits randomly during the playoffs.

You mean bend but don't break. Even if nash played in another system, he's not a good/on the ball defender. He gets beat far too often, is always out of position, is too slow, not quick enough, can't jump etc. Other than that, hes a good defender
    Wow... Are u just throwing theseout there? Show me any footage of this happening while he wore a Mavs jeresy. You're exaggerating abut brotha...too slow, not quick enough? Out of position? Are you serious?

i grew up watching him play and i think he's overrated. I didnt really think his defense was that great but i cant hate on all those crazy rebounding games he had.

Quote Originally Posted by SinJackal
    Exactly. I'm glad somebody else around here has ACTUALLY watched the guy play. He was a serious liability when he played with SA, and every so often he decides to just quit during games even with the Bulls, committing stupid fouls, letting the guy he's on have better defensive position so he can try and pump up his rebounding numbers.

He was an ass with a ton of baggage. His defense is overrated because he "decides" when he "feels like it", and does not defense well all the time. He's like Tyrus Thomas now. Looks great at time, and other times it's like dude are you even trying? Wtf?

He bricked wide open point blank layups, and barely shot 50% from the free throw line. He was not a good offensive player. In fact, this clown is known for bricking his own shot and catching his own rebound to pump up his rebounding numbers.

He was a clown who ruined team chemistry and quit randomly. He played defense in spots, and did little else but rebound the ball. I would gladly tae a 9-10 boards a game guy who plays D' ALL the time at an above average but not great rate, and does not brick open layups over Rodman. Assuming the other guy isn't a cancer in the locker room who quits randomly during the playoffs.
    Lol he never quit on a team. In fact, he gave 110 per every night. He called out the spurs and questioned robinsons will and dedication to winning. I remember him reffering to how it bothered him that when the spurs were loosing, they'd be on the sideline joking around. And he never quit as a piston or a bull.