Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    NBA Legend

Default Re: if they raise the minimum age again. i'm investing in euro league

Quote Originally Posted by kennethgriffin
    i honestly dont know what the nba is thinking.. why do they wanna make the ncaa and other pro leagues have access to their talent?

there must be some kind of under the table deal through ea sports licensing of video games. some kind of payment

it makes absolutely no sense for the nba to say "ya i dont want one of the top 3 most popular names in the world for 2 years"

wiggins would mean big $ for the nba. yet theyre trying their best to give it to EA sports games or some college athletics association

somethings wrong here

NBA already tried accepting HS players and obviously felt that the slope was too slippery when it came to teams drafting them. You get one team taking a Kevin Garnett, and then suddenly the next team feels pressure to grab a "huge upside prospect" rather than wait for guys they've scouted against better competition.

It's just so hard to project how most guys will transition from HS to the pros. And when you get a couple who do it successfully, you start gettin teams reaching and chasing for similar guys and end up getting burned.

People claim its just the league being selfish and trying to protect itself from bad draft picks. They're absolutely right. And the league has every right to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan
    Skewed sample
    Thats because the guys that come from high school are clearly better.
    You dont think Lebron would be just as good today if he waste 2-4 years in college?
    Not really, the competition relative to the players drafted is usually in their favor. That's why people hyped up guys like Kwame and Telfair, they were better than regular basketball players. It's difficult to answer that question because it's LEBRON you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile
    NBA already tried accepting HS players and obviously felt that the slope was too slippery when it came to teams drafting them. You get one team taking a Kevin Garnett, and then suddenly the next team feels pressure to grab a "huge upside prospect" rather than wait for guys they've scouted against better competition.

It's just so hard to project how most guys will transition from HS to the pros. And when you get a couple who do it successfully, you start gettin teams reaching and chasing for similar guys and end up getting burned.

People claim its just the league being selfish and trying to protect itself from bad draft picks. They're absolutely right. And the league has every right to do it.
    THEY'RE the ones making those decisions though. It's also the PLAYER'S decision to go to college and develop or test their luck in the NBA. KG, Kobe, and Lebron were all mature enough to realize this, dozens of other picks didn't and just went straight for the money instead of asking themselves if they could really sustain a prep-to-pro career.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by bmd
    It's not unfair to the athletes. It's like any other career. Some jobs require you to be a certain age, hold a certain degree, have X amount of experience, etc.

Think of it in that way.

NBA requires X years of experience before you can join the league.

And players don't have to go to college. There are other options.
    It's not the same. You can apply to a law firm without a degree in law. The firm doesn't have to hire you, but they cant stop you from applying. The NBA is not even allowing people to apply. Let the kids apply. If all 30 teams pass on him, then he can go back to school or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    It's not the same. You can apply to a law firm without a degree in law. The firm doesn't have to hire you, but they cant stop you from applying. The NBA is not even allowing people to apply. Let the kids apply. If all 30 teams pass on him, then he can go back to school or whatever.
    Why didn't they allow 16 year olds to play? Rubio was playing professionally in Europe at 14.

Nobody had a problem with the age being 18 in the NBA...

Why didn't they allow 16 year olds to play? Rubio was playing professionally in Europe at 14.

Culture issue, too detailed to get into.

18 is legal right to work in the US. Under 18 is a minor, and you are allowed to discriminate against them. Over 18 is illegal to discriminate on age.

NBA sixth man of the year KyrieTheFuture's Avatar

You dont think elite american players would dominate the Euroleague

Davis would have made millions dominating the euroleague.

If the nba sets up an age requirement, the euroleague would be a good option for a lot of american kids, until they reach the nba required age.

Also yes most people (including myself) would prefer to make millions or hundreds of thousands of dollars (the equivalent in euros) rather than get a joke education. There is a bunch of evidence that schools inflate the grades of athletes, and encourage them to pursue easy degrees. They want them to have time to practise and memorize playbooks. NCAA division 1 football is the second most profitable league in america. That kind of money is more important than education.

The best example of this is nba players who talk about how they skipped classes all the time.
    Here noah talks about how he skipped classes
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=am2SvvTaak4

During his HOF induction Barkley joked about how after 4 years at auburn he was still a freshman academically.

Think about how much rose's and oden's life would have sucked if they had to play 4 years in college.
    You think I was talking about class? There's a lot more to college than class homie. And yes, Euroleague would not play the majority of these 18 year olds as number one options.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by KyrieTheFuture
    You think I was talking about class? There's a lot more to college than class homie. And yes, Euroleague would not play the majority of these 18 year olds as number one options.
    You could get the same in europe where the chicks are a lot more liberal. Also you would actually be getting paid, so you could do more stuff.

Elite American college players would be among the best euroleague players.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic

The firm "doesn't have to" hire you without a law degree? No, they're not going to hire you, period. It would literally be a waste of time and paper to apply.

The NBA saves these kids that trouble. NBA Cares.

Local High School Star wakencdukest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KyrieTheFuture

They might not even get 10 minutes a game the first year in Europe.

Quote Originally Posted by Akrazotile

The firm "doesn't have to" hire you without a law degree? No, they're not going to hire you, period. It would literally be a waste of time and paper to apply.

The NBA saves these kids that trouble. NBA Cares.

BUT YOU CAN APPLY!!! There are no rules or stipulations that prevent you from being a dumbass, and putting in an application.

If a 14 year old prodigy goes through med school, a hospital is well within their rights to give him a job.

Saving the kids from the trouble is not the NBA's responsibility. If all 30 teams pass on an 18 year old, then that is their prerogative.

Thats fine for the NBA, but the NCAA definitely exploits the players.

They make billions in revenues and the players get almost nothing. Lets be honest most players go get a joke communications degree or a joke sports science degree. They really arent being educated in anything worth while.

Further there is a bunch of stories and data that show that there exists rampant grade inflation and even outright cheating to ensure that players remain eligible. It is a rare exception for a school to put academics above profit.

And before you blame the players completely, understand that their workload to be part of a team, inhibits their ability to go after a more challenging degree, such as a science or business degree.

The NCAA makes money off the players. They dont pay the players a salary. Its inappropriate to describe this as slavery, because the players make the decision to be apart of the that system, but its definitely exploitive.
    Get almost nothing? How about international recognition? How about experience in high level basketball? How about facility and coach to hone their skills? All for free.

If you think it's exploitative, colleges takes our money so that we can get a job afterwards. They make money off us non athletes too.

Think about it from the other way. What if the NBA put a cap on age, and said you can't play past age 35. Would you guys be ok with that?

Quote Originally Posted by iamgine
    Get almost nothing? How about international recognition? How about experience in high level basketball? How about facility and coach to hone their skills? All for free.

If you think it's exploitative, colleges takes our money so that we can get a job afterwards. They make money off us non athletes too.

That's completely different. You pay tuition for a service, just like you pay Starface to clean your pool when it's dirty. If you feel they are "exploiting" you by charging too much, you can go to other schools.