Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: I have to say it...Kobe is still a top 5 player in his 19th season.

Quote Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
    If you put Kobe on GS then they would be in the Finals this year.
    You know an argument stands on nothing when useless hypotheticals like this are thrown around like they're certain. So far, the only thing Kobe has been leading the Lakers into is losses - and, while his stats are impressive for a vet in his 19th year, they are not anything exceptional when compared league wide. Blame supporting cast all you want, but facts are facts...

When you compare players to other players in this league, you don't get extra brownie points for being old.

Have you actually seen the Warriors ratings when Curry is on the floor?

Klay plays a game more conducive to winning titles. Steph doesn't. Switch Step with Kobe and this team would be in the finals. They are absolutely stacked.
    Oh really grampa Kobe is gonna be their PG and lead them to the finals by shooting 40%?

Please, tell me more about the mythical black mamba

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
    Kobe mister 24/4/4 on 40% as defensive liablity on perhaps the worst team in the league >> Steph Curry, GOAT shooter in his prime, 24/5/9 on 47% as best player on a contender

You people are insanely brainwashed.

And btw, the gap is bigger than the stats would tell you.
    Curry is a defensive liability at a stacked position. He also lacks pg skills when teams lock in...this has been seen in every playoff series that he has been in. He lacks the handle and ability to create plays once he pet pocket passes are taken away.

In a vacuum Curry will put up better stats. You just cant win if Curry is your best player. That team would be better off with a lot of players. Like I said, Kobe would be in the Finals either this year or next with that team. Just look at the roster and disagree that those wouldnt be the expectations.

Livingston
    Klay
    Kobe
    Lee
    Bogut

Barnes
    Iggy
    Barbosa
    Rush
    Draymond
    Festus

That is a titles. People just dont understand how Kobe's presence on the floor distorts defenses. With all those weapons they are winning a title. Wizards Jordan would do the same thing with a team like that. Obviously in a vacumn Curry puts up better stats then old Kobe or old Jordan but they aren't conducive to Championship basketball.

I'll bump this when the Warriors lose in the second round again.

Quote Originally Posted by K Xerxes
    You know an argument stands on nothing when useless hypotheticals like this are thrown around like they're certain. So far, the only thing Kobe has been leading the Lakers into is losses - and, while his stats are impressive for a vet in his 19th year, they are not anything exceptional when compared league wide. Blame supporting cast all you want, but facts are facts...

When you compare players to other players in this league, you don't get extra brownie points for being old.
    My argument is very narrow. I stand by those two statements.

1. Kobe would make GS a better team.

2. Curry is very overrated and is not a top 10 player.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Curry is a defensive liability at a stacked position. He also lacks pg skills when teams lock in...this has been seen in every playoff series that he has been in. He lacks the handle and ability to create plays once he pet pocket passes are taken away.

In a vacuum Curry will put up better stats. You just cant win if Curry is your best player. That team would be better off with a lot of players. Like I said, Kobe would be in the Finals either this year or next with that team. Just look at the roster and disagree that those wouldnt be the expectations.

Livingston
    Klay
    Kobe
    Lee
    Bogut

Barnes
    Iggy
    Barbosa
    Rush
    Draymond
    Festus

That is a titles. People just dont understand how Kobe's presence on the floor distorts defenses. With all those weapons they are winning a title. Wizards Jordan would do the same thing with a team like that. Obviously in a vacumn Curry puts up better stats then old Kobe or old Jordan but they aren't conducive to Championship basketball.

I'll bump this when the Warriors lose in the second round again.
    Kobe's defense is no better than Curry's...certainly not in any sustainable way over the season and into the playoffs...and Curry is just a better offensive force.

Sorry.

And no, Kobe would not make that team better. Curry's shooting and passing is paramount for that team. Playing Kobe at pg or moving him or klay to the 3 would be awful.

Quote Originally Posted by navy
    Have you actually seen the Warriors ratings when Curry is on the floor?
    yea, they dont win anything. I dont understand how fans take some much from regular season basketball. The only thing that matters is figuring out what is going to translate to later rounds of playoff basketball. With Curry, he doesnt have the ability to run the point and make good decisions against good defenses in the playoffs.

Free the banned users. stalkerforlife's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    Too early to tell where he ranks...

But remember...Kobe didn't play much his first two seasons and has missed quite a few games due to injury.

For example...since 1999:

Dirk has played 1,325 games including the playoffs

Kobe has played 1,298 games including the playoffs

Considering Kobe hardly put any miles on his body his first two years (he started a combined 7 games in his first two years)...kind of have to tap the brakes like he has a ton more miles on his body or something than other guys.

For Dirk, not only did he have to carry his team more often and play with less help, he also played internationally far more than Kobe as well.

Also, I'd definitely take Dirk (if he plays at 90% the level he did last year) over what I'm seeing from Kobe so far this season.

Kobe has played 54,300 minutes in his NBA career.

Dirk is at 48,202.

Kobe has played 6,100 more NBA minutes.

Curry last year was aruagly a better offensive player than LeBron.... He MADE that Offense... Scoring, playmaking, dishing it out...He has huge impact on their team.

Free the banned users. stalkerforlife's Avatar

I also have a hard time seeing a Curry led team winning a title with his style of play.

Time will tell, though.

It doesn't even matter how early Curry loses... This is one of the greatest, most loaded conferences ever.... The ****ing Rockets with Dwight/Harden might be a lottery team...

Quote Originally Posted by DMAVS41
    Kobe's defense is no better than Curry's...certainly not in any sustainable way over the season and into the playoffs...and Curry is just a better offensive force.

Sorry.

And no, Kobe would not make that team better. Curry's shooting and passing is paramount for that team. Playing Kobe at pg or moving him or klay to the 3 would be awful.

Its easier to hide Kobe than Currry. And Kobe could play the 3. The team would be great.

Curry will give you better numbers and be a better "offensive force" at this stage but he will never win anything.

My arguments are:

1. Kobe makes GS better playoff basketball team.

2. Curry is overrated. Many guards make this team better.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer DMAVS41's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stalkerforlife

Kobe has played 54,300 minutes in his NBA career.

Dirk is at 48,202.

Kobe has played 6,100 more NBA minutes.

And, like I said, more than half of those minutes come in Kobe's first two years in which he didn't start and wasn't relied on at all.

And you aren't counting Dirk's international minutes...which definitely count if Kobe's first 3,300 minutes count.

Not to mention Kobe didn't have to carry as much of a burden as Dirk overall playing with just objectively more help and better coaching.

This is my exact point...to act like Kobe has this absurd amount of wear and tear on his body compared to Dirk at this point is silly.

I don't see how an argument based on a younger and fitter Kobe leading his team to titles can seriously be made in these comparisons. Kobe is almost 5 years and a couple of serious injuries removed from his title years. We are comparing players NOW.

Quote Originally Posted by ArbitraryWater
    It doesn't even matter how early Curry loses... This is one of the greatest, most loaded conferences ever.... The ****ing Rockets with Dwight/Harden might be a lottery team...
    If you are a top 5 player in the world with a stacked team it doesn't matter what conference you are in. You think people would give Kobe or Lebron a pass for losing with a stacked team in round 1 or 2.