Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Worst Draft Class Ever?

Surely this has to be one of the worst draft classes ever?
    Even before the draft there wasnt a consensus #1. Didnt the Cavs even try to trade it with no takers?

On a positive note though, MCW has been a great surprise.

Also looks like Shabazz had a decent game in the DLeague, hopefully the Wolves trade him seeing as he wont get any minutes..

Any Philly fans know how Noel is progressing?

Local High School Star

Default Re: Worst Draft Class Ever?

Quote Originally Posted by coin24
    Surely this has to be one of the worst draft classes ever?
    Even before the draft there wasnt a consensus #1. Didnt the Cavs even try to trade it with no takers?

On a positive note though, MCW has been a great surprise.

Also looks like Shabazz had a decent game in the DLeague, hopefully the Wolves trade him seeing as he wont get any minutes..

Any Philly fans know how Noel is progressing?
    Well, for most of the year Nerlens was a consensus number one. Then suddenly teams got panicky at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by NBA.com Consensus Mock Draft, June 24th
    The latest look has Nerlens Noel becoming less of a lock at No. 1. In our last look, 11 of the 12 mocks had him going first to Cleveland. Now, only seven have him going No. 1, with Alex Len gaining ground (three mocks) as the top pick.
    And at that point they're ranking the top 10 on where they think they'll go (based on what they've heard from teams) rather than where they should. So I think there was consensus that Nerlens was likely to be the best player available (inasmuch as anyone knows that sort of think before the draft).

Anyway it'll have a long way to go to top, say, 2000, so its probably fairer to judge after the whole draft class has panned out (or not as the case may be), rather than before the possible best player has a chance to get out on an NBA court.

National High School Star Fire Colangelo's Avatar

That title still belongs to 2000 draft class. Though the worst #1 pick probably belongs to the draft class of 2013

Very good NBA starter DukeDelonte13's Avatar

yeah the cavs did try to trade the pick but which other lottery team would have traded up?

There wasn't an Anthony Davis in this draft class. Just a bunch of flawed players who probably would have went 6 on down in normal draft classes. The fact that an injured 206 pound center with 0 offensive game was being talked about at number one is all you need to know about this draft class.

Local High School Star The JKidd Kid's Avatar

No the 2000 draft class easily. A total of 5 quality players came out of that ENTIRE draft.

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by DukeDelonte13
    yeah the cavs did try to trade the pick but which other lottery team would have traded up?

There wasn't an Anthony Davis in this draft class. Just a bunch of flawed players who probably would have went 6 on down in normal draft classes. The fact that an injured 206 pound center with 0 offensive game was being talked about at number one is all you need to know about this draft class.
    I'd agree with the gist of it being weak.

But on Nerlens

-He won't be injured forever

-A slender center/power forward who shot around 60%, not a prolific shot creator, good rebounder, who averaged over four blocks and 1.5 steals a game? It sounds like there was a decent facsimilie of Anthony Davis in this draft. Okay a poor mans Davis (mainly in that he's significantly more raw offensively) but still, way better than your profile above suggests.

And I think the Cavs played their part in devaluing the pick. Not that it was a great asset (or as great as a typical no. 1 pick would be) but by constantly saying they didn't know who they were picking they made it seems as though there wasn't a clear number one, sending the message it wasn't worth trading up, that the top 7 or 8 players are all basically the same, except of course picking at one you get locked into a higher salary. In particular, by effectively saying Nerlens wasn't ahead of the pack they made other teams panic on him and say he wasn't worth trading up for.

Quote Originally Posted by Owl
    I'd agree with the gist of it being weak.

But on Nerlens

-He won't be injured forever

-A slender center/power forward who shot around 60%, not a prolific shot creator, good rebounder, who averaged over four blocks and 1.5 steals a game? It sounds like there was a decent facsimilie of Anthony Davis in this draft. Okay a poor mans Davis (mainly in that he's significantly more raw offensively) but still, way better than your profile above suggests.

And I think the Cavs played their part in devaluing the pick. Not that it was a great asset (or as great as a typical no. 1 pick would be) but by constantly saying they didn't know who they were picking they made it seems as though there wasn't a clear number one, sending the message it wasn't worth trading up, that the top 7 or 8 players are all basically the same, except of course picking at one you get locked into a higher salary. In particular, by effectively saying Nerlens wasn't ahead of the pack they made other teams panic on him and say he wasn't worth trading up for.

Cavs never came out and said anything, and for the record I was on the Nerlens train pre-draft. I liked him, but he, just like Dipo, Len, Zeller, Bennett, he has major holes in his game. He rebounds well and has quick hands, but my biggest concern with him is his weight.

Pre draft the media speculated cavs were going to take either Noel or Len, but nothing really came out of the cavs camp. Cavs have been notoriously tight lipped about their selections...

TT, Dion, and Bennett were all big shocks. They tried to move the pick up until the last second, when they couldn't they took the kid they thought has the most potential.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The JKidd Kid
    No the 2000 draft class easily. A total of 5 quality players came out of that ENTIRE draft.
    K-Mart, Redd, Magloire, Turkishglue, > MCW + Oladipo

National High School Star Fire Colangelo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by moe94
    K-Mart, Redd, Magloire, Turkishglue, > MCW + Oladipo
    Too early to say, other than Kenyon Martin, the 2000 rookies were pretty bad as a whole. Oladipi and MCW on the other hand are already showing flashes of all stardom, Noel is still injured (huge fan of him) so it's hard to say how he will pan out.

All in all, this draft class has the potential to be the worst draft classes ever LOL and that's why this season has been such a pain to watch

The Magic are a trash HylianNightmare's Avatar

Placido is still very raw, how has porter looked? Shabazz tore up the d league I can't wait to see how he develops. MCW looks ready and I though Bmac was looking solid for the kings

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Colangelo
    All in all, this draft class has the potential to be the worst draft classes ever LOL and that's why this season has been such a pain to watch
    Good thing for this year. It's looking to be the best since 08, at least.

alternick = loser :D veilside23's Avatar

we have yet to see the other top guys play .. porter? Len and noel.

Its not that all shabby ..

Dipo
    MWC
    Burke are all ballers

The reason why people may look that this is the worst because of Bennett. Dude played great in college but so far he hasnt found his groove yet.

Local High School Star

Cavs never came out and said anything, and for the record I was on the Nerlens train pre-draft. I liked him, but he, just like Dipo, Len, Zeller, Bennett, he has major holes in his game. He rebounds well and has quick hands, but my biggest concern with him is his weight.

Pre draft the media speculated cavs were going to take either Noel or Len, but nothing really came out of the cavs camp. Cavs have been notoriously tight lipped about their selections...

TT, Dion, and Bennett were all big shocks. They tried to move the pick up until the last second, when they couldn't they took the kid they thought has the most potential.
    Personally I hated the Len talk because despite being supposedly more polished offensively his offensive numbers were worse than Nerlens'. Zeller was a reach at (percieved) NBA readiness and such picks rarely go well (e.g Evan Turner at 2 and Wes Johnson at 4 in 2010 in). Bennett was a reach at one because he looked like a stouter, worse shooting, Derrick Williams in college (though he should be able to do better than he has so far). I hope they didn't ignore Nerlens because they wanted somebody for this year so that they'd look good based on this year for LeBron.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gilbert
    I think as most people who study this will tell you, this isn't a draft with a clear cut, obvious, no-holds-barred, No. 1 choice. Obviously, we're going to have workouts between here and the draft that will play a role in this. I don't think there's a direction the franchise is leaning at this point. We're going to be open minded knowing we have that choice and just hope we make the right pick for the team.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gilbert
    We're going to have a choice of several really good options here at the top, not to mention our 19th pick, cap space and everything, and our new coaching staff
    http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/5/2...umber-one-pick

They were tight lipped, but, as I said above, it wasn't tight lipped in a "We're saying nothing" say, it was tight lipped in a "we don't know who we're going for" sort of way. They didn't give anything away, but as I said above they made it seem like the first and sixth, seventh or eighth picks were equivalent. Maybe that impression was out there anyway. But throughout the year Nerlens had been the clear cut choice at number one. He hadn't gotten any worse. Even without naming Nerlens they could have implied they had a guy, and that if you want to be certain you can get this top talent you're going to have to trade for our pick. Gilbert's comments helped diminish the admittedly already weak value of the pick. If they did want to trade down, then the above certainly didn't help.

Quote Originally Posted by Owl
    Personally I hated the Len talk because despite being supposedly more polished offensively his offensive numbers were worse than Nerlens'. Zeller was a reach at (percieved) NBA readiness and such picks rarely go well (e.g Evan Turner at 2 and Wes Johnson at 4 in 2010 in). Bennett was a reach at one because he looked like a stouter, worse shooting, Derrick Williams in college (though he should be able to do better than he has so far). I hope they didn't ignore Nerlens because they wanted somebody for this year so that they'd look good based on this year for LeBron.

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2013/5/2...umber-one-pick

They were tight lipped, but, as I said above, it wasn't tight lipped in a "We're saying nothing" say, it was tight lipped in a "we don't know who we're going for" sort of way. They didn't give anything away, but as I said above they made it seem like the first and sixth, seventh or eighth picks were equivalent. Maybe that impression was out there anyway. But throughout the year Nerlens had been the clear cut choice at number one. He hadn't gotten any worse. Even without naming Nerlens they could have implied they had a guy, and that if you want to be certain you can get this top talent you're going to have to trade for our pick. Gilbert's comments helped diminish the admittedly already weak value of the pick. If they did want to trade down, then the above certainly didn't help.

that's really just pure speculation on your part. Callipari said that nobody else scouted Nerlens more than the cavs organization. I was shocked he wasn't their pick but when 5 teams pass on him...

Local High School Star

that's really just pure speculation on your part. Callipari said that nobody else scouted Nerlens more than the cavs organization. I was shocked he wasn't their pick but when 5 teams pass on him...
    What is, saying that there a bunch of players of roughly equivalent ability at the top of the draft harms the value of the number one pick? Its common sense. Why would anyone trade up for the top pick if the guy who has got it is essentially saying, "Well I don't know who to pick, they're all the same."