Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    5-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Remember When 38-year Old MJ Torched Prime Garnett

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball
    MJ won MVP of the 1998 all-star game, just like he won regular season MVP and Finals MVP.. this is 35-year old MJ vs. KG at the 98' all-star game - no different from 38 years of age, here's MJ "torching" the bigger, slower Garnett.
    Its very obvious I'm talking about the year Garnett won. Jordan is too good to be stretching and avoiding stuff. Jordan was put on Garnett in 2003 all star game. It was just really awkward. I just saw a video where Derrick Rose layed Duncan up 12 times in 3 games. I don't create a thread about it. Great guys wing players get around power forwards. That's the way the game is played.

I just don't see Jordan getting up to be played by a power forward. Unless it was the reasons that I gave.

You have to understand - the reason MJ torched Garnett as a standard is because MJ was a true guard, not just quick for his size, so he was always a huge mismatch for bigger players..
    If he's quick for his size and you want to highlight that you don't post a thread about him going around a true seven footer? That's not proving your point at all.
    In the 1993 Finals, the Suns tried to put Richard Dumas, a 6'8" running and jumping machine and budding superstar on MJ... it was a joke... MJ blew by him every time..

in 1993 he was perhaps the hardest person to guard ever in the league by anybody. Am I missing something??? MJ had the best first step, second step or last step the game has ever seen.

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by DonDadda59
    But it was the 'zone era', with advanced defense being played

Flip Saunders along with Rick Carlisle were the only coaches back then who ran zone for more than the odd possession here and there.
    Flip Saunders and advanced defense is one heck of a contradiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacks3
    Wizards Jordan was the most inefficient scorer in history. lol @ him "dominating" anyone.
    No one said he was able to sustain it. He had issues on back to backs, especially with a knee injuries at those ages. He did at times dominate, there is no denying that what so ever. I mean a 40 year old dropping 40+? Oldest ever to drop 50+?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Yao Ming's Foot
    38/39 years old with no knees and getting the same production as prime TMac and AI?

Very good NBA starter

So dominant.

Good High School Starter dreamwarrior's Avatar

Defenders are better today, but less effective. I mean they're smarter and more polished, but you can only do so much to get your hands in someone's face. These days a defender gets fouled for touching a guy's shorts and 90% of the blocking fouls you see called today would've been a charge back in the day.

Very good NBA starter

Wow he better then I thought. This is when he had no knees and 38. Holy crap

I don't get picked last at the park anymore KnicksWolves's Avatar

Speaking of old-as-dirt Jordan scoring on people known for their defense, here's a video of him doing fairly well against Shawn Marion back in the Suns days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd9ayPlqCMg