Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Remember When 38-year Old MJ Torched Prime Garnett

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball
    Today's game is a weaker brand of basketball... the spacing, defensive 3 seconds and no-hand-check rule (mostly the spacing though) make it so a much higher proportion of the shots taken are open shots.

This is boring to me... the game looks like hot potato, where players pass it around until someone is open - you don't have to score ON defenders as much in today's game, so the stats produced mean less to me - like, i don't care that someone has a high shooting percentage because i know it is a product of the spacing and the fact that they take way less contested mid-range shots than players used to.

and with open shots being available, it makes coaching and how to GET those open shots the deciding factor in games, as opposed to the skill of the players..
    This is probably the stupidest post I've read here, or at least it's up there. Basically you want to see more bad shots taken than good shots.

You must be a Thunder fan.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer 3ball's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by KobesFinger
    So you want players taking contested mid-range jumpers? They're possibly the worst shot you can take. Are you telling me the 2013 and 2014 Spurs don't play exciting basketball?
    I'm not saying we need to go back to the 80's... However, when comparing over the eras, i don't see how previous eras compare unfavorably when their shot allocations consisted of a much higher proportion of what you called "the worst shot you can take".

If players in previous eras had a higher proportion of tougher shots, that means they are MORE skilled, not less skilled.

Also, a shot allocation of 3's, at-rim shots, and FT's is boring as all heck... so UN-diluting the game via regulatory changes that forces a higher proportion of shots from the say, 6 to 20-foot range (which is most of the floor btw) would be better for the game.
    Last edited by 3ball; 08-31-2014 at 11:53 AM.

It's ugly ass B.Walton

Dude if you're so deprived of contested mid range shots go watch next year's New York Knicks or something

A season of that will change your mind lol. Not everyone is on some next level Kobe/MJ off the dribble fadeaway s.hit.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by KobesFinger
    So you want players taking contested mid-range jumpers? They're possibly the worst shot you can take. Are you telling me the 2013 and 2014 Spurs don't play exciting basketball?
    Funny thing is the Spurs play more like a mid 80s team (albeit with more 3 point shooting) and look what they did to the Super Friends with just some old has beens and former D-leaguers

I am your soldier!

He got caught on a screen once, had 0 help defense twice, and played decent d on the other two.

Woah, got torched.

I rule the local playground Fork's Avatar

Not exactly torched

5-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by 3ball
    I remember a young Garnett... He was an all-star in 1998 along with Duncan, Shaq, Kobe, Grant Hill, Shawn Kemp, Penny Hardaway, and Pippen.. and of course MJ.

I certainly remember MJ crushing everyone in 1998... But it was in 2002 that it was really impressive - MJ was looking forward to his first meeting with Garnett as a Wizard, and he destroyed him pretty thoroughly.

Garnett guarded 38-year old Jordan 5 times in a row mono-a-mono, and 5 times in a row he got dropped off, with the announcers getting more excited each time... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=embqhggoep4&t=4m00s... (vid is queued to the right place).

MJ used to do Olajuwon like that too, taking him over and over, but at least MJ was in his prime then.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7N_qSFAsP8
    why would Jordan look forward to playing a postcard forward? Unless you are saying its payback for losing his last meeting with Garnett in 1988? Or are you suggesting it was payback for all-star weekend when he mysteriously was put on Garnett? I think Garnett won MVP of that game??? Or maybe Jordan was anxious to break the Wolves winning streak? But that didn't happen either. Jordan is with out doubts GOAT but this is a strange post.

Quote Originally Posted by Pointguard
    Unless you are saying its payback for losing his last meeting with Garnett in 1988?
    Huh?

Or are you suggesting it was payback for all-star weekend when he mysteriously was put on Garnett? I think Garnett won MVP of that game???
    MJ won MVP of the 1998 all-star game, just like he won regular season MVP and Finals MVP.. this is 35-year old MJ vs. KG at the 98' all-star game - no different from 38 years of age, here's MJ "torching" the bigger, slower Garnett.

Or maybe Jordan was anxious to break the Wolves winning streak? But that didn't happen either. Jordan is with out doubts GOAT but this is a strange post.
    You have to understand - the reason MJ torched Garnett as a standard is because MJ was a true guard, not just quick for his size, so he was always a huge mismatch for bigger players..

In the 1993 Finals, the Suns tried to put Richard Dumas, a 6'8" running and jumping machine and budding superstar on MJ... it was a joke... MJ blew by him every time..

Same thing against Rodman - MJ would embarrass him and hit game winners on him.

And Shawn Marion in his prime in Phoenix got torched for 41 and had two game-winners hit on him... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pd9ayPlqCMg

Against Dominique, it was an after thought...

but by now you get the point.. MJ torching a bigger guy like Garnett was standard procedure.
    Last edited by 3ball; 08-31-2014 at 03:31 PM.

Shutting down your thread with knowledge and intelligence DJ Leon Smith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dubeta
    LeBron >> MJ

I think OP raises a fantastic point against typical nut job arguments

a) Floor Jordan dominated even the best defenders during his Wizard stints

b) One doesn't merely stick a tall, long player on even old MJ and call it a day the way it shuts down jump shot happy derivative Kobe.

Why?

Jordan was way too quick, that's why you saw teams put Dumars, Starks, KJ on him more frequently to attempt to negate the insane quick off the dribble penetration that destroyed defenses from the inside out.

Taller guys couldn't stay in front of him: Rodman, Augmon, Ehlo, Gerald Wilkins or even at 38 - 40, prime Marion and KG were getting DESTROYED.

Free the banned users. stalkerforlife's Avatar

Bu bu bu bu bu BUT KG is the GOAT defender.

Very good NBA starter

Wizards Jordan was the most inefficient scorer in history. lol @ him "dominating" anyone.

These Jordan stans are straight retarded.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacks3
    Wizards Jordan was the most inefficient scorer in history. lol @ him "dominating" anyone.

These Jordan stans are straight retarded.

He was 38, 39 and 40 years of age and had nights where he dropped off every single major player at that time.

His efficiency should not be knocked at that age any more than Lebron's equally low 47% TS in his rookie year.

Another thread about MJ's greatness and how superior he would be today. From the SAME poster too. Very original.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by The Immortal
    Garnett was a solid perimeter defender.. for a 7foot power forward. Doesn't mean you could stick him on a wing player.

Another thing to take note: KG had virtually zero help behind him after the initial drive. Also, they still won the game.. empty stats.
    But it was the 'zone era', with advanced defense being played

Flip Saunders along with Rick Carlisle were the only coaches back then who ran zone for more than the odd possession here and there.