Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 714151617
    Magic Johnson

Default Re: Saturday night Greg Oden injured left knee, needs surgery, season likely over

Quote Originally Posted by RoseCity07
    I wouldn't trade Oden for anyone in the league right now except for Lebron and now maybe Dwight Howard.

I said before the 2007 draft that the only trade I'd consider before the draft is for Lebron. Now I think Dwight becomes another player just for the fact that he never gets injured.

I personally want to stick with Oden until his can't play anymore. I want him to stay with the Blazers whether his career is plagued with injuries, or if he never takes us to a title. I really like Greg Oden the person. I know Portland won't even consider trading him unless Dwight or Lebron become available.

I'd rather trade Aldridge.
    What? So you're telling me you would decline a proposed D-Wade for Greg Oden deal? You wouldn't trade Oden for Dirk, Duncan, Chris Paul, or Kobe? What?

Local High School Star icemanfan's Avatar

Default Re: Greg Oden injured

Quote Originally Posted by Mateo
    expected. oden will never be a franchise center.
    i think u r correct here. I just do not see him making it to the top.

7-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: Saturday night Greg Oden injured left knee, needs surgery, season likely over

I still think Oden can be a great player. When next season starts he'll still be 2 years younger than Robinson was and 1 year younger than Ewing was when those 2 first entered the league. He's now shown talent and picked up some NBA experience and this latest injury shouldn't take away from his athleticism as there was no ligament damage. The real concerning thing about it is that it confirms that Oden is injury prone, but that doesn't mean it's a foregone conclusion that he'll never be able to play a season.

What he has to do is lose even more weight, drop down to the weight he was at the pre-draft camp(so probably lose 15-20 pounds more) to take as much pressure as he possibly can off his legs. Yao's injuries also started when he bulked up, but in Oden's case, bulking up was never necessary. He's very strong naturally as we saw in college. Oden should look to be closer to David Robinson's size than Shaq's size.

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    I still think Oden can be a great player. When next season starts he'll still be 2 years younger than Robinson was and 1 year younger than Ewing was when those 2 first entered the league. He's now shown talent and picked up some NBA experience and this latest injury shouldn't take away from his athleticism as there was no ligament damage. The real concerning thing about it is that it confirms that Oden is injury prone, but that doesn't mean it's a foregone conclusion that he'll never be able to play a season.

What he has to do is lose even more weight, drop down to the weight he was at the pre-draft camp(so probably lose 15-20 pounds more) to take as much pressure as he possibly can off his legs. Yao's injuries also started when he bulked up, but in Oden's case, bulking up was never necessary. He's very strong naturally as we saw in college. Oden should look to be closer to David Robinson's size than Shaq's size.

The thing about that is though, Oden tends to lose A LOT of weight during the season. That was always a huge concern with him while he was at Ohio State, as he lost so much weight throughout the year. I think he came in at a pretty good weight this year, but obviously I would like to see him slim down a little bit to try and stay healthy and get some explosiveness back...

7-time NBA All-Star

Yeah, but Oden was a teenager at Ohio State, he was probably still growing. Now he's probably done growing and his metabolism should be a bit slower making him less prone to losing weight.

Coming into the season at this weight wouldn't make him too thin.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_oXl...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8fv810QfY8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9yD3M-pLQk

He still looks like a beast at 260 pounds. He pushed around Joakim Noah and Al Horford at that weight. Any stress he can take off his legs will be a plus.

Magic Johnson

Yeah, but Oden was a teenager at Ohio State, he was probably still growing. Now he's probably done growing and his metabolism should be a bit slower making him less prone to losing weight.

Coming into the season at this weight wouldn't make him too thin.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_oXl...eature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8fv810QfY8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9yD3M-pLQk

He still looks like a beast at 260 pounds. He pushed around Joakim Noah and Al Horford at that weight. Any stress he can take off his legs will be a plus.

He might as well try and get down to 255-265. He looked a lot better this year, but the extra weight really doesn't do anything to better his game.

God, I forgot about that preseason dunk. Saw that live and was amazed. Would have truly had a chance to be a dominant center had he not suffered injury after injury. (I still think he has a chance to be good, but I don't think he'll ever reach his potential now)

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by LA_Showtime
    He might as well try and get down to 255-265. He looked a lot better this year, but the extra weight really doesn't do anything to better his game.

God, I forgot about that preseason dunk. Saw that live and was amazed. Would have truly had a chance to be a dominant center had he not suffered injury after injury. (I still think he has a chance to be good, but I don't think he'll ever reach his potential now)
    If he can stay healthy and get down to 260ish then he still has the potential to be as good as he ever was going to be. He's not even 22.

Local High School Star

I wouldn't trade Oden for anyone in the league right now except for Lebron and now maybe Dwight Howard.

I said before the 2007 draft that the only trade I'd consider before the draft is for Lebron. Now I think Dwight becomes another player just for the fact that he never gets injured.

I personally want to stick with Oden until his can't play anymore. I want him to stay with the Blazers whether his career is plagued with injuries, or if he never takes us to a title. I really like Greg Oden the person. I know Portland won't even consider trading him unless Dwight or Lebron become available.

You're a f*cking retard.

There's about 50 players in this league that I'd rather have than Oden. Sorry to break it to you but Greg Oden is nothing but the second coming of Sam Bowie.

Magic Johnson

If he can stay healthy and get down to 260ish then he still has the potential to be as good as he ever was going to be. He's not even 22.
    I just don't see Oden becoming the player many projected he was going to be coming out of college. He's been injured for what... 4 straight seasons now? Even last season he chipped something in his knee. But yes, the first step is to lose the weight. I don't know if he's dedicated himself to healthy eating, but he might as well start now.

Local High School Star Pinkhearts's Avatar

LOL at this delusion. Greg has not even proven that he can play at an all-star level. He has only recently shown some promise of being able to do that one day. Sadly that day might never come as it seems that he will always be injured. Even if he recovers, this will no doubt take more athletic ability away and also take time away to retard his growth further. It's a reach to see him as an all-star now. If you can trade him for a legit all-star or a promising future all-star you should do it NOW.

This should end all Bynum/Oden comparisons. Bynum has shown to be able to put up all-star numbers (only because the center position is soo weak) and if he can stay healthy and prove that the previous injuries were true freak accidents, we will have no other questions on his ability.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LA_Showtime
    What do Blazer fans think? Are you going to move on and build around Roy and Aldridge? Would you trade Oden if the right deal came along?
    Anybody is tradeable if the right deal comes along. But the problem is, we will likely not be offered anybody that we will want to take. We could trade Oden for some quality players who are known commodities, but none of the guys that would be offered are guys that would truly put us over the top to win a championship. I'd rather take our chances with an injury prone big that has a chance of bringing us a championship some day than a guy (or guys) that could for sure improve the team some but not to the point where we could win a championship.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by Pinkhearts
    Even if he recovers, this will no doubt take more athletic ability away
    No, that's probably not the case. There was no ligament damage and he's not even 22. Chances are this won't really impact his athletic ability.

Saw a basketball once

My take on Oden's "Pants on the Ground"

http://www.associatedcontent.com/art...os.html?cat=49

Good High School Starter

any news on Oden? back for Playoffs? rest him up for a full pre season?