Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    NBA rookie of the year Da_Realist's Avatar

Default Hakeem Olajuwon in the 94 Finals

Hakeem was, along with Michael Jordan, the best combination of skill, athletic ability, agility, anticipation, and versatility I've seen play the game. He was an impact on both sides of the ball -- as known for making a key block or defensive play as he was for making an impossible shot to win the game. In other words, he had the ability to control the game with his presence.

Nowhere is this more apparent than in the 94 NBA Finals. The Knicks were no match for his combination of skill, athletic ability or versatility. This series is actually a little past his physical prime. He couldn't get to the rim as easily as in past years, but you can see how he adapted his game. The Dream Shake was on full display, as well as a number of fluid spin moves and nasty fadeaway jump shots.

I also tried to show how his defensive presence altered the series. His timing and anticipation put himself in a position on the floor that bothered Ewing at all times -- even if he didn't get a block, steal or rebound. He pushed Ewing further and further away from the basket and forced the Knicks to play outside-in instead of inside-out. That cost the Knicks the series.

Another key to the series was Hakeem's willingness/ability to draw double-teams and pass to wide open teammates for easy jumpshots. I think Houston set a record for number of 3pts made in a Finals series (although this may have been eclipsed in following years...I don't know). The reason Sam Cassell, Kenny Smith and Vernon Maxwell received so many open 3 point shots was because Hakeem commanded so much defensive attention after it was apparent that neither Ewing or anyone else could cover him one on one. A couple of games were won because Hakeem passed to teammates who drained open jump shots to ice the game.

He was the best player in the league by a mile in 94 and he showed why in this series. He was named NBA Finals MVP after averaging 27 pts, 9 rebs, 4 asts, 2 stls and 4 blks per game on 50 fg% while being matched up against an all-star center that played inspired defense himself. Here's a look at his play in each game.

Game 1
    Hakeem Olajuwon
    28 pts, 10-22 fgs, 10 rebs, 1 ast, 3 stls, 2 blks
    Last edited by Da_Realist; 10-20-2009 at 10:52 AM.

Default Re: Hakeem Olajuwon in the 94 Finals

Game 2
    Hakeem Olajuwon
    25 pts, 10-21 fgs, 7 rebs, 4 asts, 2 stls, 4 blks
    Last edited by Da_Realist; 10-20-2009 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Realist
    He was named NBA Finals MVP after averaging 27 pts, 9 rebs, 4 asts, 2 stls and 4 blks per game on 50 fg%

Puting up that stat line against Ewing is ridiculous.

He put up similar numbers against Shaq the following season in the Finals.

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    Puting up that stat line against Ewing is ridiculous.

He put up similar numbers against Shaq the following season in the Finals.
    I could have sworn he put up better statline the following year. But those were higher scoring games than the way the Knicks did them. Either way, this is depressing

Rather post in here than the Johnny Flynn threads though

oh man, don't remind me of this. I remember how frustrated I was because Ewing just couldn't stop Hakeem. Hakeem never played this well against Ewing.
    Hakeem showed up and shined in the post season. This is why Ewing and David will never be in the same status as Hakeem.

Quote Originally Posted by redhonda76
    oh man, don't remind me of this. I remember how frustrated I was because Ewing just couldn't stop Hakeem. Hakeem never played this well against Ewing.
    Hakeem showed up and shined in the post season. This is why Ewing and David will never be in the same status as Hakeem.
    It was even worse in the regular season. In Game 3, NBC threw up their regular season head-to-head stats -- Houston won both games with Hakeem averaging 33 pts, 17 rebs, 4 asts, 2 stls and 3 blks on 53 fg%. Ewing averaged just 12 pts, 10 rebs, 2 asts, 2 stls, 1 blk on 26 fg%

Olajuwon just had Ewing's number this year.

Quote Originally Posted by imdaman99
    I could have sworn he put up better statline the following year. But those were higher scoring games than the way the Knicks did them. Either way, this is depressing

Rather post in here than the Johnny Flynn threads though
    He may have, but New York posed a much better challenge than Orlando did -- who just laid down and died after Game 1. I think this performance was more interesting considering how every single game counted. In fact, New York came within one shot of winning it all. One game he scored 32 points, shot 14-20 fgs, had 5 blocks and the Rockets still lost.
    Last edited by Da_Realist; 10-17-2009 at 07:14 PM.

Made that high school varsity squad

My favourite center of all time, what more can I say? i was too young to see that series live but later i saw them on video and wow...the dream was just perfect.

7-time NBA All-Star

Hakeem was amazing that year. I remember Anthony Mason guarding Hakeem a lot and giving him some trouble. They really played Hakeem physical and tired him out at times, but he was still just that much better.

You're 100% right about his defense on Ewing. Ewing very rarely went towards the basket. Hakeem forced him to take a lot of fadeaways and long jumpers.

Not to be forgotten though is how good Ewing was defensively. I don't think he gets enough credit for his defense. He was one of the best defensive players for years and he really made Olajuwon work hard for his points.

Saw a basketball once

Yeah Hakeem was amazing that year. One of the most dominant seasons ever for any player in the entire history of the National Basketball Association. Hakeem Olajuwon averaged 27.3 ppg 11.9 rpg 3.7 bpg all while winning the MVP, DPOY and the Finals MVP in the same season. Amazing how he carried that team too that didn't even have another all star player on the roster.

Learning to shoot layups

Da Realist, you are and a few others are really putting the effort to put more Olajuwon games on youtube. Thanks for that. Wish I still had all those tapes I recorded during the championship years.

Local High School Star Solid Snake's Avatar

Olajuwon is probably one of my top 3 favorite players ever. In addition to his skill, he doesn't have an ugly personality like a JR Smith, or any of these modern prima donnas.

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by Solid Snake
    Olajuwon is probably one of my top 3 favorite players ever. In addition to his skill, he doesn't have an ugly personality like a JR Smith, or any of these modern prima donnas.

Well to be fair, he did have a very bad temper and demeanor back in his early days in the league. Back when his name was just Akeem. But when he converted to Islam, his demeanor changed and he took his game to an entire new level. Even as a Lakers fan, I enjoyed him and like you, he was one of my favorite players ever. I mean the guy was in a league by himself in 1994 and 1995. Skills he had as a big man just left you in awe.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234
    Hakeem was amazing that year. I remember Anthony Mason guarding Hakeem a lot and giving him some trouble. They really played Hakeem physical and tired him out at times, but he was still just that much better.

You're 100% right about his defense on Ewing. Ewing very rarely went towards the basket. Hakeem forced him to take a lot of fadeaways and long jumpers.

Not to be forgotten though is how good Ewing was defensively. I don't think he gets enough credit for his defense. He was one of the best defensive players for years and he really made Olajuwon work hard for his points.
    Ewing played great defensively. There was just not much he could do with Hakeem personally but he was the anchor for New York's great team defense. Mason played Hakeem a little better because he could body him and stay in front of him a little better than Ewing could. I assume this is because Mason was only 6'7" and was much quicker so he was more effective against Hakeem's quickness than Ewing was. Still though...Hakeem got the shots he wanted against anybody.

Ewing played with heart and determination. He set a record for blocks with 8 in one game (it may still stand) and averaged more blocks and rebounds than Hakeem did. Outstanding team defense. However, Hakeem played greater defense on Ewing than vice versa. Ewing couldn't do anything offensively. I think he had one good game, maybe 1 or 2 fair ones and 4 duds (offensively).
    Last edited by Da_Realist; 10-17-2009 at 11:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Qdouble
    Da Realist, you are and a few others are really putting the effort to put more Olajuwon games on youtube. Thanks for that. Wish I still had all those tapes I recorded during the championship years.
    He's one of my favorite players. I'll post of few more of his games. I just love watching him play.