Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Most down to earth/humble player stories?

With the recent news of KD playing in that pick up game of flag football its obvious the guy is loyal to the fans and has a good head on his shoulders... So with that being said heres my question, what other stories have u heard or been a part of with an NBA that showed those characteristics?

Post up your stories

Default Re: Most down to earth/humble player stories?

kenyon martin donated alot of money to the tsunami victims, and hes a big angry black man.

I remember hearing a story about Martell Webster when he was a Blazer. He's out with a broken foot, it's snowy outside, he comes across someone trying to give a hand with a flat tire. He pulls over, with his foot still in a cast (if I'm correct), so he can give the person a hand.

Probably not as "sexy" as donating a million dollars to some cause, but I felt like it showed a lot about his character.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by mattvNJ
    With the recent news of KD playing in that pick up game of flag football its obvious the guy is loyal to the fans and has a good head on his shoulders... So with that being said heres my question, what other stories have u heard or been a part of with an NBA that showed those characteristics?

Post up your stories
    It's not humble if you broadcast it for the whole world. I'm getting sick of Durant's saccharine nature.

Quote Originally Posted by brisbaneman
    It's not humble if you broadcast it for the whole world. I'm getting sick of Durant's saccharine nature.

I guess your right but i mean he DM'd the kid, trying to keep it on the DL i suppose? But i see where your coming from with that one. Keep the stories coming.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by brisbaneman
    THIS.
    People are so naive, it's just to get some publicity. Wow, the guy played some sport with a bunch of random guys..

I don't know how much Shaq cared about publicity when he did this but it was nice of him anyway; check this video where he talks about how he helped a paralegic kid: http://www.youtube.com/user/ESNEWS#p...20/Pxn6e9KefA4

In 1972, Doug Collins out of Southern Illinois was the #1 pick in the NBA draft, going to the Sixers. I was 13 and a die hard Sixers fan. So die hard I bought a limited season ticket package (13 games maybe?) with my paper route money.

That Sixers team went on to become the worst team in NBA history, going 9-73, largely because Collins broke his foot shortly after the season began. They were so bad I couldn't give away that other ticket to games, and had to beg my bro-in-law to ride the train with me so my folks would let me go.

I was devastated that my favorite player got hurt, and wrote him a letter proclaiming myself his #1 fan. A couple weeks later, I got a package in the mail with a 6 page, hand written letter from Collins, starting off with "I didn't think I had any fans in Philadelphia." He included an autographed picture, and we continued to correspond for what is now almost 40 years. Can't count the dinners, family visits, etc over the years. A great guy who has never forgotten that kid who believed in him. It's a friendship that has grown and stood the test of time.

Think any current top pick responds personally to fan letters?

Quote Originally Posted by JMT
    In 1972, Doug Collins out of Southern Illinois was the #1 pick in the NBA draft, going to the Sixers. I was 13 and a die hard Sixers fan. So die hard I bought a limited season ticket package (13 games maybe?) with my paper route money.

That Sixers team went on to become the worst team in NBA history, going 9-73, largely because Collins broke his foot shortly after the season began. They were so bad I couldn't give away that other ticket to games, and had to beg my bro-in-law to ride the train with me so my folks would let me go.

I was devastated that my favorite player got hurt, and wrote him a letter proclaiming myself his #1 fan. A couple weeks later, I got a package in the mail with a 6 page, hand written letter from Collins, starting off with "I didn't think I had any fans in Philadelphia." He included an autographed picture, and we continued to correspond for what is now almost 40 years. Can't count the dinners, family visits, etc over the years. A great guy who has never forgotten that kid who believed in him. It's a friendship that has grown and stood the test of time.

That is absolutely amazing. and I'm sure some do, but many clearly don't have the time with all the stuff going on in their lives with entering the league. Who knows. I was at a party with Kyrie up at a local college his brother attends. Pretty cool stuff.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned anything about samuel dalembert helping out in haiti with the earthquake and all

Good college starter Locked_Up_Tonight's Avatar

Erick Dampier helped out the Mavs by packing his bags, emptying his Mav locker and joining the Miami Heat, and using up a roster space.

Serious playground baller RobertdeMeijer's Avatar

I wish I could find out where I heard this and give a link or something, but this is what I remember:
    Shaq once made fun of a trainer (or some other low-ranking job in the team), saying his car wasn't impressive. The guy was upset because he wasn't making millions a year like Shaq was. Shaq found out, felt really bad about this, and gave the guy a kick-ass 4x4.

Quote Originally Posted by mattvNJ

your famous. i heard the story about yall on the news.

This one time Wilt... wait, nevermind.

How does my Dirk taste creepingdeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Macho Man
    This one time Wilt... wait, nevermind.

Tracy McGrady signing my Magic jersey and having a conversation with me. Cool guy.