Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789
    3-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: How is Tim Duncan not a top 4 player of all time?

Quote Originally Posted by EricForman
    Russell at least still dropped 17 a game. Any explosive short PG was a guarantee to light Magic up.
    Of course, Magic could not only light up ANY PG on the other end, he was putting up a 42 point, 15 rebound game (which was FIVE more than ANY other player on the floor), 7 assist game, 14-23 shooting game, and 14-14 from the line...playing ALL positions on the floor,...in a clinching championship game WIN, and withOUT Kareem.

Magic not only had HUGE assist seasons, he had TWO straight seasons of shooting .561 and .565, as well. CLEARLY, he is a top-5 player all-time, and arguably the second greatest "winner" in NBA history.

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by rmt
    He played center with Malik, Horry, Bonner, Dice and PF with Robinson, Rasho, Nazr, Elson, Oberto and Blair.
    I disagree with the bolded names.

Quote Originally Posted by jlauber
    CLEARLY, he is a top-5 player all-time
    I disagree, I'm fine with someone putting Magic in their top 5, but I don't have him in mine and I definitely don't think it's clear.

3-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by ShaqAttack3234

I disagree, I'm fine with someone putting Magic in their top 5, but I don't have him in mine and I definitely don't think it's clear.
    I do respect your opinions, whether I agree with them, or not. But, based on career accomplishments, I just can't see too many players that were better, or who played better in BIG games, than Magic.

Very good NBA starter

Oberto definitely played center in 2006 and 2007. Duncan being a "pure center" is an argument that mostly lives on message boards and internet blogs, go back and watch Duncan next to Rasho, Nazr, Robinson, etc, and he definitely played the part of a power forward. It's just people nowadays don't think PF's have a post game, they see guys like Shawn Marion at the four and think it's the norm or something. People who know the game, Kobe, Jerry Sloan, Kevin McHale, etc, have all called him the GOAT PF. Hell, put McHale in the league now and people would probably think he's a center too. In the same way I don't view Pau Gasol as a true center, I don't view Duncan as one either.
    Last edited by SCdac; 03-05-2011 at 05:44 PM.

Blair scores mostly from the low post while TD has been going for more and more jump shots this season. Very occasionally (this season only) has Blair been putting up high arching shots from the baseline.

Oberto scored mostly from layups when TD was doubled or put backs from misses by other players.

That doesn't qualify as playing PF or do you mean on defense? TD doesn't usually guard the better scoring big (so as not to get into foul trouble).

7-time NBA All-Star

Quote Originally Posted by rmt
    Blair scores mostly from the low post while TD has been going for more and more jump shots this season. Very occasionally (this season only) has Blair been putting up high arching shots from the baseline.

Oberto scored mostly from layups when TD was doubled or put backs from misses by other players.

That doesn't qualify as playing PF or do you mean on defense? TD doesn't usually guard the better scoring big (so as not to get into foul trouble).
    Whenever I see Duncan now, he's usually matched up with the opposing center, even the best ones. In the Spurs games vs Orlando, he matched up with Howard. If you're talking stylistically, well, then you could make the case that Duncan was more of a center than Robinson because Duncan played in the low post more, though Robinson usually matched up with the opposing team's center.

Very good NBA starter

Whenever I see Duncan now, he's usually matched up with the opposing center, even the best ones. In the Spurs games vs Orlando, he matched up with Howard. If you're talking stylistically, well, then you could make the case that Duncan was more of a center than Robinson because Duncan played in the low post more, though Robinson usually matched up with the opposing team's center.
    He was matched up with Chris Bosh for about half of his minutes last night... he certainly still get's matched up with PF's.

Usually, whichever the easier match up is, is the one the SPURS want him on.

When they played the Mavs, he was guarding Dampier/Diop/etc, and not Dirk. Not because he couldn't do it, but because they want him to stay out of foul trouble.

also: he's lost alot of his mobility, alot of his nimbleness, guarding the average center is just easier for him to do at his age.
    Last edited by SCdac; 03-05-2011 at 06:05 PM.

I usually hit open layups emaugust's Avatar

I wasn't into the NBA during the Tim Duncan Era, but I have always wondered why if he is so GOAT, is he not hyped like many other players? He played in the same era as Shaq, Kobe, even guys like AI, KG or Nash yet all of them seem to have a muuuch higher profile than Tim Duncan.

Not saying Tim doesn't deserve it because, I just don't know.

Quote Originally Posted by Walduś
    this actually shows why he shouldn't be top 5. he's the 3rd/4th best player on the spurs right now and they still got the best record.
    It's called impact. People would say the same thing about Bill Russell Waldo.

On defense, he guards the lower scoring big. In the case of Bynum/Gasol, he guards Bynum or Gasol/Randolph, he guards Gasol or Darko/Love, he guards Darko. Orlando is a little different as a lot of times it's Howard surrounded by shooters in which case, of course, it's TD on him as he can't guard a shooter.

In DRob's case, he guarded the center on defense and on offense, both played a lot of high/low. In the 99 Finals, DRob played in the post a lot trying to get Larry Johnson in foul trouble. So half of the game (on defense), DRob played the center and on offense, they both played in the post. I think that qualifies DRob as the center and TD as the PF.

Good High School Starter

Quote Originally Posted by emaugust
    I wasn't into the NBA during the Tim Duncan Era, but I have always wondered why if he is so GOAT, is he not hyped like many other players? He played in the same era as Shaq, Kobe, even guys like AI, KG or Nash yet all of them seem to have a muuuch higher profile than Tim Duncan.

NBA Playoff Leaders for Points
    1. Michael Jordan 5987

2. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar 5762

3. Shaquille O'Neal 5248

4. Kobe Bryant 5052

5. Karl Malone 4761

6. Jerry West 4457

7. Tim Duncan 3914
    NBA Playoff Leaders for Total Rebounds
    1. Bill Russell 4104

2. Wilt Chamberlain 3913

3. Shaquille O'Neal 2508

4. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar 2481

5. Tim Duncan 2114
    NBA Career Playoff Leaders for Blocks
    1. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar 476

2. Hakeem Olajuwon 472

3. Shaquille O'Neal 459

4. Tim Duncan 438
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/..._career_p.html

3-time NBA All-Star

IMHO, the top-5 are nearly "untouchable" at this point. Russell, MJ, Magic, Wilt, and Kareem.

But it does get interesting with my next three. I have Shaq at #6, based more on peak, and Duncan at #7, based more on his string of 50+ win seasons. And then comes Kobe at #8, followed by Hakeem and Bird.

However, Shaq, Duncan, and Kobe, are all in the running for a possible title this season. A ring for Shaq, albeit no longer a prime-time Shaq, would probably secure him at no worse than #6, and for at least a couple of more seasons (depending on what Kobe does.) A ring for Duncan would definitely vault him over Shaq, at least IMO...and even knocking at Kareem's door. Five rings, four as the main player, and another as a key contributor, would be within Kareem's sights. And finally, a ring for Kobe this year, and he probably vaults BOTH Duncan and Shaq. And, beyond that, and perhaps another ring before he retires, and he probably could go as high as #3 all-time.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by emaugust

Not saying Tim doesn't deserve it because, I just don't know.
    its just pathetic we live in a day and age where people respect shit like being flashy more then fundamentals and actually getting the job done. and DEFENSE HELLO DEFENSE?E?!!?!

ask the casual fan who is better between iverson and duncan and they will say iverson everytime. no wonder 90% of casual fans hang out on ISH